Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Retirees


For those approaching retirement as well as the currently already retired, here is a forum to share ideas and thoughts and exchange questions and answers.


To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

To maximize your retirement, we also suggest you read "Retired Federal Employees Almanac".


(Reminder: soliciting of services is not allowed on this site.)

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
KeystoneKid  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 02, 2013 5:30:33 AM(UTC)
KeystoneKid

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/6/2012(UTC)
Posts: 50

Just curious to see if anyone knows where to download a copy of the 1099-R for income tax preparation? I have checked the OPM Retirement Services Online website and it is not available there. Perhaps I need to wait a little longer? Thank you!
MMOB  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 02, 2013 6:45:48 AM(UTC)
MMOB

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/1/2009(UTC)
Posts: 357

It will be available from the OPM website and yes, you have to wait a little while longer. It's usually available sometime during the third week of January. (Did you seriously expect it to be available on the very first workday of the new year?)

BTW, as a sidenote, starting next year everyone will be required to download the form from OPM because this is the last year that OPM will be mailing out a hard copy in addition to having the form available online.
GSBS  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 02, 2013 7:40:25 AM(UTC)
GSBS

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/9/2011(UTC)
Posts: 1,677

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I'm not sure everyone will be required to have online access or no form. The OPM will continue mailing them under current laws.
______________________________________________________________________

Retirement

Why doesn't OPM issue 1099R statements the first week of January, like the private sector does?



The 1099Rs are mailed during the last week of January. We are required by law to make the 1099R available to over 1.9 million annuitants, survivor annuitants, heirs and assignees of deceased annuitants by January 31st of each year. We also upload these 1099Rs to our Services Online website.




Did this answer your question?

Fed1969  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 02, 2013 7:53:42 AM(UTC)
Fed1969

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/28/2010(UTC)
Posts: 3,333

GSBS wrote:
I'm not sure everyone will be required to have online access or no form. The OPM will continue mailing them under current laws.
______________________________________________________________________

Retirement

Why doesn't OPM issue 1099R statements the first week of January, like the private sector does?



The 1099Rs are mailed during the last week of January. We are required by law to make the 1099R available to over 1.9 million annuitants, survivor annuitants, heirs and assignees of deceased annuitants by January 31st of each year. We also upload these 1099Rs to our Services Online website.




Did this answer your question?

Some companies in the private sector have problems in timely issuing of 1099Rs. Many do a great job, but not during the first part of January.

The Federal government does a great job of issuing 1099sy by the end of January. Some private sector retirees wish they had it as good as federal retirees.
MMOB  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 02, 2013 2:00:45 PM(UTC)
MMOB

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/1/2009(UTC)
Posts: 357

GSBS wrote:
The OPM will continue mailing them under current laws.


You're wrong. OPM has already mailed out notices to annuitants stating that 1099s will no longer be mailed after this year.

This is one of the problems with this board. People make statements that have no basis in fact thereby misleading others who come here looking for factual information.
wrsmsgt  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 02, 2013 8:09:29 PM(UTC)
wrsmsgt

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/18/2010(UTC)
Posts: 67

Had the 1099R from DFAS the middle of Dec.
<@{{{><
kcman  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 02, 2013 11:37:26 PM(UTC)
kcman

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/26/2009(UTC)
Posts: 255

MMOB wrote:
GSBS wrote:
The OPM will continue mailing them under current laws.


You're wrong. OPM has already mailed out notices to annuitants stating that 1099s will no longer be mailed after this year.

This is one of the problems with this board. People make statements that have no basis in fact thereby misleading others who come here looking for factual information.


MMOB, Just curious on when OPM sent the notice that they will no longer be mailing 1099's after this year? I don't recall receiving this but of course I may have overlooked it. As for me, I find it easier to get it on-line; however, there are some retirees that may not have access to a computer/internet (or a secure system to download this type of information which you would not want to do from a public non-secure system).
<br />"The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money." - Margaret Thatcher<br />
freeageless  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 02, 2013 11:45:50 PM(UTC)
freeageless

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/20/2006(UTC)
Posts: 1,335

MMOB wrote:
GSBS wrote:
The OPM will continue mailing them under current laws.


You're wrong. OPM has already mailed out notices to annuitants stating that 1099s will no longer be mailed after this year.

This is one of the problems with this board. People make statements that have no basis in fact thereby misleading others who come here looking for factual information.


I agree. I too received a notice from OPM stating that 1099s will not be mailed after this year. Unfortunately, too many people post here giving out incorrect information.
postalvet  
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 03, 2013 12:09:07 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/29/2009(UTC)
Posts: 5,337
Location: southern calif

Thanks: 4 times
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
went back and looked at my annuity change notice and there is was on the back page.




postalvet2013-01-03 16:19:29
Retired postal worker of 38 years who is willing to help even though some do not want to hear the truth.
Raoul  
#10 Posted : Thursday, January 03, 2013 12:14:40 AM(UTC)
Raoul

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/30/2009(UTC)
Posts: 259
Man
United States

Hey! Everybody's Wrong!

No 'Notice' was sent out.
If you made a recent online change the 'Notice of Annuity Adjustment' you receive in the mail contained an
"oh, by the way, January 2013 will be the last time 1099-Rs will be sent in the mail..."

Those that have made no changes would not have been informed of this nugget of info as of yet. I'm sure everyone will be informed of this in writing when the current 1099s go out. Even Obama wouldn't do a mass mailing when a mandatory (the last one by the way) mailing for this is three weeks away.

I believe people are just honestly trying to help another here as best they can.
However, if I kept getting kicked in the teeth it would be a quick fu to this place.





   
bbcinc  
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 03, 2013 12:23:22 AM(UTC)
bbcinc

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/1/2011(UTC)
Posts: 72

I got my notice due to the 1.7% COLA.
kcman  
#12 Posted : Thursday, January 03, 2013 3:11:40 AM(UTC)
kcman

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/26/2009(UTC)
Posts: 255

Raoul & bbcinc,

     Thanks. I just went back and read what I was sent with the 1.7% COLA and it clearly says that effective January 2014, the 1099R's will no longer be mailed. I guess I need to read these more clear next time instead of going directly to the numbers portion. Happy New Year to all.kcman2013-01-03 11:22:10
<br />"The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money." - Margaret Thatcher<br />
getting close  
#13 Posted : Thursday, January 03, 2013 6:08:06 AM(UTC)
getting close

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/12/2010(UTC)
Posts: 602
United States

Thanks: 1 times
Raoul is correct, proving once again that there is a first time for everything

I recently received a Notice of Annuity Adjustment to reflect the COLA change and it did say "January 2013 Will Be The Last Time OPM Will Send The 1099-R Tax Statements in the Mail". It says that "Effective in January 2014, the 1099-R tax statement for calendar year 2013 will no longer be mailed to annuitants" but will be available online.
getting close  
#14 Posted : Thursday, January 03, 2013 6:09:20 AM(UTC)
getting close

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/12/2010(UTC)
Posts: 602
United States

Thanks: 1 times
Just saw that others had already posted this. Sorry for the duplication.
GSBS  
#15 Posted : Thursday, January 03, 2013 6:56:30 AM(UTC)
GSBS

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/9/2011(UTC)
Posts: 1,677

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
MMOB wrote:
This is one of the problems with this board. People make statements that have no basis in fact thereby misleading others who come here looking for factual information.
Oh pardon me for being wrong and not seeing this, although what I posted is pasted word for word on the current OPM site. Sorry for causing you a problem MMOB
KeystoneKid  
#16 Posted : Friday, January 04, 2013 3:00:49 AM(UTC)
KeystoneKid

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/6/2012(UTC)
Posts: 50

MMOB wrote:
It will be available from the OPM website and yes, you have to wait a little while longer. It's usually available sometime during the third week of January. (Did you seriously expect it to be available on the very first workday of the new year?)

BTW, as a sidenote, starting next year everyone will be required to download the form from OPM because this is the last year that OPM will be mailing out a hard copy in addition to having the form available online.



MMOB ~ You're right, I am jumping the gun for sure. I did see on the myPay website where the 1099R for retirees was available. After scouring the site a bit I finally read where the civil service retiree 1099's would not be available. That is confusing because it says on the "Login page" that the 1099R are available. Oh well here's the URL: https://mypay.dfas.mil/mypay.aspx

Thank you for all the replies to my question!!

Have a Happy New Year

KeystoneKid
MMOB  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, January 08, 2013 8:36:19 PM(UTC)
MMOB

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/1/2009(UTC)
Posts: 357

GSBS wrote:
MMOB wrote:
This is one of the problems with this board. People make statements that have no basis in fact thereby misleading others who come here looking for factual information.
Oh pardon me for being wrong and not seeing this, although what I posted is pasted word for word on the current OPM site. Sorry for causing you a problem MMOB


No, I'm the one that needs to apologize. I guess I was having a bad night when I wrote that. It is a small issue and not one that I needed to call anyone out on.
GSBS  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, January 09, 2013 1:14:33 AM(UTC)
GSBS

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/9/2011(UTC)
Posts: 1,677

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Thank you for saying that MMOB! No problem!
kgkistari  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, January 09, 2013 1:03:40 PM(UTC)
kgkistari

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/8/2010(UTC)
Posts: 251

Well, since the IRS is looking at January 31 to begin processing the uncomplicated returns, I'd say there's no great rush to download a F1099. JMO
SpeedDemon  
#20 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2013 6:25:59 AM(UTC)
SpeedDemon

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/3/2012(UTC)
Posts: 132

I agree - I have had to wait on private business W-2 also
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest
2 Pages12>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.


This page was generated in 1.561 seconds.