Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

149 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PJ612  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2007 5:37:56 AM(UTC)
PJ612

Groups: Registered

Greetings,

I am looking into the JO program at USAID. I have a BA degree in International Relations, served in the Army for 6 years, was a Peace Corps Volunteer for 3 years and am now finishing up my Master of Public Administration degree. For the past 5 years, I have worked for philanthropic organization that funds local social service agencies. I mention this because I think this experience would be transferable to USAID.

I am wondering if anyone has any information about how competitive acceptance into USAID is and if my skill set would be valued at that agency.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Dennis123  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 08, 2008 6:12:12 AM(UTC)
Dennis123

Former GI,

First, I will be very honest with you, I’m envious. Your short description has many of the key words, Peace Corps experience (approximately 70% of AID are alumni), BS in IR and working on an MPA (also the right focus), and finally nonprofit experience (equivalent to the NGOs USAID works with internationally).

I’ve been to research USAID for over a year now as I approach retirement from the Army next month. I too have a desire to work in International Development some day. My experience is the traditional leadership position plus some financial management (budgeting) along with a MS in Nonprofit Management, and a lot of volunteer hours. I recently had an opportunity to forward my resume through a mutual friend to a former USAID executive. His recommendation was to learn a language and to strongly consider volunteering with Peace Corps.

It’s very difficult to get any information about USAID or to interact with employees (unless you have a mutual friend), so continue to watch the JO career page for a job that you feel qualified for. If you see one and are within a few months of completing your master, apply!

I wish you the best,

Dennis
gsutiger2@aol.com  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 13, 2008 1:55:44 AM(UTC)
gsutiger2@aol.com

It has been very difficult for me as well to find direct sources who work as Foreign Service Officers for USaid. Anyone have any further information about this org and specifically FSO/s? I would love to find a USaid FSO blog somewhere.

Thanks!
search  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 21, 2009 12:47:39 AM(UTC)
search

Does anyone know where I can find information on about the USAID FS JO interview process? I haven't been able to find anything online. I was recently contacted by Tai Pedro & Associates, PC (TPA) to set up preliminary interviews and I am not sure what to expect. The USAID website says that their exam is not the Foreign Service one, but it seems to allude that entry is just as difficult. Any help in the right direction for interview preparation is greatly appreciated!

2. Does USAID require the foreign service examination like the U.S. Department of State?

No, we do not require the foreign service exam. Applications are accepted only for specific vacancy(s) when announced and posted. Our process involves a series of reviews of the application and responses to job specific questions and general development issues. Following the screening, selected applicants are invited, at their own expense, for a personal interview with a technical panel. Candidates are evaluated on their academic credentials, related overseas and/or domestic development professional experience, their technical knowledge and related skills such as management and leadership, representational and communication (oral and written).
aywilkes  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 05, 2009 2:57:43 AM(UTC)
aywilkes

I interviewed for one of the DLI positions last year and I will tell you about the non-confidential parts of the process.

Everything is super-structured which imo is to make everything as fair as possible without giving any person an advantage over another.

1. you will be given a case study relevant to your backstop and have an hour to type answers to it.

2. group discussion is not led by the panelists but the panel will observe you and the others interviewing for the same position as you discuss solutions to a problem and present a solution. It is also timed and I believe our group was given 20 minutes total although tp say s you get 30 minutes I think.

3. personal interview. same # of questions and same questions for all in your baskstop. it is timed and you must use your time accordingly to make sure you have time to sufficiently answer all questions. i had only 3 minutes left to ask questions after staying up/researching and spending all night trying to come up with intelligent ??? for no reason. 1 of the questions is pretty standard in whatever interview and for whatever company/org.

i was nervous as ever so affirmations and relaxation techniques helped me pass the assessment portion I assume.
thaiheather  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2009 8:04:26 AM(UTC)
thaiheather

Last week, I received an email stating that I qualify for a JO position I applied for. The email stated that my application would be forwarded to the selection officer. How long after you received the email did you receive a phone call about the interview?

Thanks for your reply.
aywilkes  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2009 11:06:44 AM(UTC)
aywilkes

Although you received an email, you may not get a call at all. There are 2 levels for review - the 1st one you passed and I think it will now be reviewed by experts in your backstop to determine if you deserve an interview.. If so, they'll call. Now for the two positions that I applied for and were called to interview for, I NEVER received the email you mention. However, for 2 other positions that I haven't been invited to interiew for, I have received the email. One last week and the other one maybe 3 weeks ago and the one from 3 weeks ago was weird b/c in Dec. I got a message that they reviewed my app. and found that I'm not qualified. Go figure. In '07, I applied and never got a call/email. I scored high during the first review but not high enough in the 2nd review. I was encouraged by a HR rep. to be more detailed and told that each app. has a "weed out" question which I'm sure should be easy to spot since almost all the app.questions are the same.
thaiheather  
#8 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2009 8:27:45 PM(UTC)
thaiheather

Thank you chamomile. Your response has been very helpful. How long after you submitted the two applications you were called about did you receive a phone call? I am just wondering if it was days, weeks, or months so that I can know how long to be somewhat hopeful. Next time I apply, I will look for a key question like you said, and I will give more details in my application.

Are you still in the interview process then for one of the positions? Good luck to you!!
aywilkes  
#9 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2009 9:53:46 PM(UTC)
aywilkes

quote:
Originally posted by thaiheather:
Thank you chamomile. Your response has been very helpful. How long after you submitted the two applications you were called about did you receive a phone call? I am just wondering if it was days, weeks, or months so that I can know how long to be somewhat hopeful. Next time I apply, I will look for a key question like you said, and I will give more details in my application.

Are you still in the interview process then for one of the positions? Good luck to you!!

The 2 positions were the separate postings for contracting officer and I think it was 3 months after applying to both postings. Now, those positions are critical I think b/c they really need lots of people. I believe the Exec Officer one is critical too and it took them 4 or so months to let me know about that one. When I interviewed for the CO position, there were other people there interviewing for health, program/project implementation, CO, and maybe one other position. I was told that the agency will go down the line interiewing folks for according to score (maybe) for each position until they get them all filled. You are encouraged to apply to all positions that you believe you are qualified even if it is the same one under a different #. Also, if you don't have lots of int'l experience but do have lots of domestic poor community experience, highlight that too in great detail. The actual interview is just one day and you are judged by a panel - mine had 3 panelists. I finished and passed that part and am now waiting for assignment to a JO class. You need a medical clearance, top secret (or temp.secret waiver), transcripts, and agree to a salary, before being appointed.
thaiheather  
#10 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2009 10:36:15 PM(UTC)
thaiheather

Okay, so I need to keep applying. How do I find the different positions available? I only applied to a JO position. Am I allowed to apply for General development officer positions as well? And then they will automatically move me to the JO category? Or am I missing the JO jobs somewhere?

Thank you so much for all of your help.
cosmonewman  
#11 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2009 11:20:14 PM(UTC)
cosmonewman

Shocked

cosmonewman2010-03-07 10:23:58
aywilkes  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2009 1:20:58 AM(UTC)
aywilkes

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmonewman:
I applied for a bunch of positions in the JOP recently (November of last year). I got notices that I was qualified for all of them. I was invited to interview for only one of them. When I went to DC for the interview I asked about it and they told me that they select only one position to invite you for. It may be that I applied for a critical needs backstop (93) so they want to keep me in that if possible. I don't know. The interviews were held from the 3rd-the 13th of March. I am waiting to get word back.

Now that's odd b/c when I interviewed in Decemer, I was told by one of the TP reps. that I should apply to as many positions as I want b/c they will interview for as many as you qualify for. she also said that if you're not in the DC area, they will fly you here (DC) up to 3 times in a year. Additionally, there was a woman there interviewing for the 2nd time for a different backstop - she didn't get selected for the first one and there was a man there from the Phillipines who was being flown here to interview twice as well for 2 different positions. I wonder what the deal is with that.
sienna01  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2009 1:33:42 AM(UTC)
sienna01

I also went to the JO interviews in DC March 3-13 and am waiting to hear back. They took 3 months to contact me for the interview. I only applied to one position and recieved the email stating I was qualified shortly if not immediately after applying.

I understood the process to be that they were interviewing candidates for all the backstops in batches, once the batch was done they would then review and make conditional offers to the applicants with the highest overall scores.

There is a document that outlines the process from the initial application to the technical reveiw, to the pre-employment interview and then reveiw by the final selection committee. I don't remember where I saw it.
cosmonewman  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2009 1:36:01 AM(UTC)
cosmonewman

Shockedcosmonewman2010-03-07 10:24:31
sienna01  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2009 2:04:23 AM(UTC)
sienna01

http://www.usaid.gov/policy/ads/400/468.pdf

This is the document outlining the hiring process I was talking about
MIA14  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2009 9:29:55 PM(UTC)
MIA14

Good Morning everyone:
I am so glad I found this forum! Great helpful information!

I also received an email stating that my application had been approved initially and that if needed the HR department would get in contact with me for further information.

I received this email on Monday, March 9th (10 days ago!) and have not heard anything since. I was wondering what the time period was from receiving this email to the actual call back for the first round of interviews. Did they contact you right away? Was it done my phone or email?

I read that there was a 10 day interview period already that began on March 3rd, do you think this group was selected by their higher qualifications or date of application?

I think if there is a second interview group, it should be taking place soon. Does anyone know if this is the case? Thank you for your replies in advance.
cosmonewman  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2009 10:56:13 PM(UTC)
cosmonewman

quote:
Originally posted by MIA14:
Good Morning everyone:
I am so glad I found this forum! Great helpful information!

I also received an email stating that my application had been approved initially and that if needed the HR department would get in contact with me for further information.

I received this email on Monday, March 9th (10 days ago!) and have not heard anything since. I was wondering what the time period was from receiving this email to the actual call back for the first round of interviews. Did they contact you right away? Was it done my phone or email?

I read that there was a 10 day interview period already that began on March 3rd, do you think this group was selected by their higher qualifications or date of application?

I think if there is a second interview group, it should be taking place soon. Does anyone know if this is the case? Thank you for your replies in advance.

A couple of things.

There are three different organizations involved in this application process so it can be complicated. You submit your application to Avue. They send you an email saying that you have met the qualifications. Then Tia Pedro decides if they are going to interview you. If so, they send an invitation to interview. USAID people interview you at Tia Pedro's facility in DC.

It sounds like you just got the Avue email. You may or may not get the invitation. Which backstop? I know that contracting officers, executive officers, and engineers were interviewed last week. Maybe your backstop hasn't been scheduled yet.
sienna01  
#18 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2009 12:38:46 AM(UTC)
sienna01

The qualifying email and the invitation to interview w/ TP were approximately 3 months apart for me. When I was there they said more people applied for the contracting officer position than any other backstop, therefore it was the most competitive. TP said they had been facilitating the process since October.

I do not think the people called on 3/3-3/13 were called becuase they were better qualified, I think applications are only reviewed once every couple months and people are selected from that pool. I assume you applied after January 1, 2009 since you got the qualification email 10 days ago.
asturias  
#19 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2009 7:16:51 AM(UTC)
asturias

Hi all,

I got an email today saying my application was referred to the selection official.. and that someone from HR might contact me..

has anyone already been through this process? what is the next step?
jberry99  
#20 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2009 9:11:27 AM(UTC)
jberry99

I received the same email today. I checked Avue, though, and the description hasn't changed since I applied months ago. From what others have posted, I think the next step may be another application review panel where they look at your technical qualifications.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed