Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WIPostMan  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 7:40:53 PM(UTC)
WIPostMan

Groups: Registered

I've been with the post office since April as a PSE. With the recent retirement buy-outs of clerks, I'm not sure where I or any other PSE's stand as far as possibly becoming regulars go. However, my goal from the start was to eventually become a regular carrier instead of working on the clerk side. I thought I could get my foot in the door as a PSE and eventually work my way over to carrier, but see now that things don't really work like that here.

With the carrier agreement new, I don't know if anyone can provide any clarity with this but most of you have more experience here than I do. Would it make any sense for me to attempt to become a CCA and continue my goal of attempting to become a regular carrier, or should I stick with being a PSE and hope that my near-year of hard work can pay off by becoming a regular clerk?

It's been frustrating--I've asked my union reps about moving from clerk craft to carrier craft, as well as ask supervisors, and nobody seems to know what the right path for me to take is. I even had my fill-in supervisor tell me just the other day that our location is overstaffed with clerks and I'd likely be the first out the door if they have to cut back, and that means I'm out entirely. What a waste of blood (yes, blood), sweat and tears that would be.

Anyway, if anybody has any opinions on what course of action I should take, it would really be appreciated. Thank you for reading.
boober  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 9:58:51 PM(UTC)
boober

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
PSE to CCA makes a helluva lot more sense than PSE stay as a PSE. Especially if being a carrier is what you've always wanted. The reason why no one had a clue what you should do is because there was so much uncertainty about whether or not there was any future for TE's. Now that we all know for a fact that TE's (CCA's) are the future, and are here to stay, then it makes a lot of sense for TE's to try and pursue that career with the PO. There's way more job security in the carrier side than there is in the clerk side.
[img]https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/1706490624/hAE2AE657/[/img]
VTIME  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 10:36:05 PM(UTC)
VTIME

I agree. You will be better off as a CCA. The payscale for carriers is higher than that of the clerks. And the post office adds new delivery points every year. Machines can sort the mail but people will always have to deliver it. Make the switch if you think you can handle the carrier craft.
KingJaffe  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 10:40:04 PM(UTC)
KingJaffe

being a carrier is about survival of the fittest...

Beware,you were given fair warning
CCA but not 4 long..lol
Getting in  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 10:42:02 PM(UTC)
Getting in

I have been a PSE for over a year now and I can say that there is no more direction on a career path then when I started. Most of the unuion representation I have spoken with hasnt even read the contract (I have). Even if they did the contract is broken all of the time. Management at my PD&C routinely

Gives PSE OT over regulars
Has PSE doing mailhandler work

To me the union has gotten so weak especially in the clerk craft. I would say depending on your age and how much time you can afford to invest based on your age and financial situation then stick it out. But I would not put all my eggs in the Postal basket.
pragmatist  
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 1:09:25 AM(UTC)
pragmatist

I'm thinking the same thing. If they post the CCA position in the USPS website I will definitely give it a try.
postalvet  
#7 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 1:23:58 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
WIPostMan wrote:

Anyway, if anybody has any opinions on what course of action I should take, it would really be appreciated. Thank you for reading.

go to e-reassign and put in for a CCA.
or just go here and apply;
https://wd2-portal.usps.gov/sap/bc/webdynpro/sap/hrrcf_a_unreg_job_search?sap-ep-themeroot=/SAP/PUBLIC/BC/UR/nw5/themes/usps_SMALL

the most they can say is no.
Retired postal worker of 38 years who is willing to help even though some do not want to hear the truth.
WIPostMan  
#8 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 3:32:06 AM(UTC)
WIPostMan

Thanks everyone for the input so far. Please continue as it's all very helpful. I am leaning towards pursuing a CCA position, because carrier was my original goal and what most of you are saying is jiving quite nicely with what I'm hoping.

postalvet, I looked on the USPS site and there aren't yet any CCA postings near me, but I'll keep checking. As for e-reassign, I haven't been able to utilize it. I assumed PSE's couldn't use it and it was for only regulars. I have tried a few times, but to no avail..

It's been a tough year not being able to move forward...let's hope 2013 is better for those of us working hard to get somewhere in this company.
rich1mc1  
#9 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 3:35:52 AM(UTC)
rich1mc1

There you go TE's , I told you there were lot's of others willing to do your job for less. The old sage has spoken! Either except the fact that this is the way it is, and quit your whinning,or leave. There is always someone else out there willing to do your job.rich1mc12013-01-13 12:07:02
boober  
#10 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 3:40:50 AM(UTC)
boober

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
rich1mc1 wrote:
There you go TE's , I told you there were lot's of others willing to do your job for less. The old sage has spoken! Either except the fact that this is the weay it is, and quit your whinning,or leave. There is always someone else out there willing to do your job.

Exactly.

I'm sure the PO will have np getting 15,000 or so people to apply as a CCA in the coming months. Afterall, there's only 3 million or so people out there that are unemployed still looking for a job.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/04/news/economy/hopelessly-unemployed-workers/index.html

Shouldn't be too hard for the PO to fill these positions.
[img]https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/1706490624/hAE2AE657/[/img]
TE4me  
#11 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 4:23:09 AM(UTC)
TE4me

I dont think any current TE s dont think someone will step in and take there jobs..I think they are just expressing their dissatifaction with having to re apply. .
If we didnt have to reapply after taking the test and passing there wiuldnt be as much objection to the contract..
It hurts to lose 10k a year but hurts more to lose your job
TE4me  
#12 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 4:25:41 AM(UTC)
TE4me

Rich1mc1 are you a TE?
rich1mc1  
#13 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 4:26:32 AM(UTC)
rich1mc1

No I am an FTR.
TE4me  
#14 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 5:36:16 AM(UTC)
TE4me

Thought so...
Melerkat  
#15 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 5:45:55 AM(UTC)
Melerkat

And we all passed the test. So should you. So in 30-years you can log on here, AFTER WE ARE ALL DEAD, and try to offer sage advice to those following you.
“Soldiers can sometimes make decisions that are smarter than the orders they've been given.”<br />― Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game
delovibrio  
#16 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 7:40:58 AM(UTC)
delovibrio

so pse can trumpt te's and thier relative standing?

wow!
delovibrio  
#17 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 7:41:40 AM(UTC)
delovibrio

Melerkat wrote:
And we all passed the test. So should you. So in 30-years you can log on here, AFTER WE ARE ALL DEAD, and try to offer sage advice to those following you.

all the te's in my office have passed the test.
Melerkat  
#18 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 7:42:22 AM(UTC)
Melerkat

IS IT THE SAME TEST????
“Soldiers can sometimes make decisions that are smarter than the orders they've been given.”<br />― Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game
delovibrio  
#19 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 7:44:38 AM(UTC)
delovibrio

example:

1 year pse, 5 year te.

relative standing? same office?
delovibrio  
#20 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 7:45:26 AM(UTC)
delovibrio

Melerkat wrote:
IS IT THE SAME TEST????

all our te's are over 4 years except a couple, I dont know
Rss Feed  Atom Feed