Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

NSPS - National Security Personnel System

NSPS is the Department of Defense's (DoD) flexible and responsive civilian management system that: (1) values performance and contribution, (2) encourages communication, (3) supports broader skill development, and (4) promotes excellence in the workplace

NSPS modernizes a 50-year-old civil service system, allowing DoD to better attract, recruit, retain, compensate, reward and manage employees. The system focuses on people, performance, and employment decisions that are cost-effective and best for business practice.

(source: Defense Civilian Personnel Advisory Service)

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Joseph Stevenson  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2013 11:38:19 AM(UTC)
JahJoe

Groups: Registered

I am seeking clarification as to GS equivalency and then applying the two step rule due to a promotion. From reading http://acqdemo.dau.mil/docs/revised_op_proc.pdf page 9 and 10 a NH-3 is equivalent to a GS-12/13.

There is what equates to a three step process (1) Conversion out of Acq Demo (2) identifying the equivalency for grade (3) applying pay and promotions.

Based on my understanding a GS 13/ between steps 9/10 and from reading Chapter 14 page 56 2nd and 3rd paragraphs which speak to converting out of the demonstration project there are items to be identified before any pay or promotions can be applied.

Step one would be to find the equivalency which would be GS-13/10 correct?

Step two would be to find the salary equivalency on the GS-14 scale, as this position is a GS-14 promotion step 5 would be where the salary now falls is this correct?

Step three would be adding the two step rule (as this is a promotion) which now places the grade at a GS-14/7, is this correct?

This is the link which was provided to me and it seems to convey the same process as described above from the previous documented process http://www.opm.gov/polic...rtain-non-gs-employees/.

Do I understand this correctly? Am I missing anything or assuming anything incorrectly?
hustonj  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2013 10:03:10 PM(UTC)
hustonj

Was thanked: 319 time(s) in 257 post(s)
As I understand it, the 2 step promotion rule puts steps 2 & 3 in the opposite order. In that case, you take the value of a step raise, add twice that to the 13/10, and then compare to 14 to find the appropriate step within the grade.

It is possible this conversion process works differently than that, but it would surprise me.
Joseph Stevenson  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2013 10:10:47 PM(UTC)
JahJoe

Ok, I do not understand how it could put steps 2 & 3 in the opposite order? How can you apply the promotion when the grade being promoted to has not been identified? This is all very confusing but first I have to convert which is the GS-13/10, then identify the grade for promotion which is the GS-14, identify the salary equivalency which is greater than the step for so its step 5 and then apply the two step rule.

If you apply the two step rule in the order you are thinking then it would be converting to GS-13/10 and add to steps? Where or what are the two steps? Step 10 is the top.

Thanks for trying to help me understand this.
Forrest Carver  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2013 10:37:40 PM(UTC)
fcarver

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Just did this myself. Here's the process:

1) You're an NH-III, so yes, equiv to GS-12/13. So, based on BASE PAY (no locality), find where your current pay falls on the GS-12 or GS-13 pay scale.

2) If it falls BETWEEN two steps (between Step 9 and Step 10), use the higher Step (in this case, Step 10).

3) Now, add 2 Steps ON THE GS-13 PAY SCALE. Since you're a Step 10, you add the EQUIVALENT of 2 Steps. So, figure out the difference between Steps (it's the same for all GS-13 base pay steps). Multiply by 2, then add that to Step 10.

4) Using that new total, find where that falls on the GS-14 BASE PAY scale. If it's between two steps, using the higher Step.

5) That's your new BASE pay.

6) Now add locality pay. That's your new TOTAL pay.

** EXAMPLE: Based on your info.
- Start with GS-13 Step 10 (93175).
- Add the equivalent of 2 Steps. 93715 + (2389 * 2) = 98493.
- 98493 falls between GS-14 Step 5 and 6. Use Step 6 -> 98812.
- So, you're new BASE pay is $98,812.
- Last, add locality for wherever your position is located.
Forrest Carver  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2013 10:38:27 PM(UTC)
fcarver

The only mistake is you apply the two-step rule on the GS-grade pay scale you're CURRENTLY equivalent to, not the one you're getting promoted to.
Joseph Stevenson  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2013 10:50:41 PM(UTC)
JahJoe

Wow!! Now that makes sense. The only question that remains is why are the steps (2389) used instead of the promotion steps (2823)? You have been most helpful in understanding this.
Joseph Stevenson  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2013 11:05:32 PM(UTC)
JahJoe

Disregard the last post cannot make a promotion step without being in the grade. A little further reading helped in on this one.
Forrest Carver  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2013 11:10:51 PM(UTC)
fcarver

Cool, I was just about to reply.

Spot on - you're entitled to two steps within the grade you currently are, because that's what you are. You're not the next grade yet, so you're not entitled to the increase for that Grade.
Nerdles  
#9 Posted : Saturday, March 09, 2013 9:11:05 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
According to 5 CFR, Time in Grade only applies to positions within the General Schedule. Therefore, the two-step rule does not apply to AcqDemo. Most HR departments do not know this. I went through this recently myself; I was in AD, being paid about 79,000. I was finally able to get a GS-13 position even though my AD salary was equivalent to GS-12, between step 2 and step 3.

I posted a query about this over a year ago, when I was trying to get GS jobs but being told by uninformed HR departments that I didn't have TIG.https://federalsoup.federaldaily.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=44296&KW=&PID=492815&title=help-time-in-grade-vs-representative-rate#492815

Good luck escaping AcqDemo!Nerdles2013-03-09 17:21:19
Joseph Stevenson  
#10 Posted : Saturday, March 09, 2013 9:36:57 AM(UTC)
JahJoe

I will have to disagree with you on your assumption. TIG applies to all federal employees. In addition, the two step rule is applicable to any one taking on a position which equates to a promotion. My concern was understanding the applicability of the two step rule and applying it in my case. Fcarver was spot on in all the advice and I learned a lot by reading the conversion documentation for Acq demo, as there is a conversion document prior to posting this question. Everything played out just as Fcarver said and both HR's were in agreement. I do not know what your situation was but for this topic the answer was spot on!
Joseph Stevenson  
#11 Posted : Saturday, March 09, 2013 9:48:11 AM(UTC)
JahJoe

I just read the first post you made. I had to educate the personnel I was dealing with as no one really understands the Acq Demo confusion. Please find the Acq Demo conversion document I supplied to help get everyone talking and agreeing.
This document (chapter 14 and the top of page 10) provides the information you will need. One other aspect would be to contact your HR and verify what your SF-75 will translate out as.

Business Management and Technical Management Professional (NH)
    I       II      III        IV
(GS 1-4)(GS 5-11)(GS 12-13)(GS 14-15)

http://acqdemo.dau.mil/docs/revised_op_proc.pdf

Nerdles  
#12 Posted : Saturday, March 09, 2013 10:31:45 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Right, I've seen that conversion chart and have a copy of it.

This evening is the first I have ever seen of the operational procedures PDF posted above, of which chapter 14 goes into converting out of AcqDemo. I wonder if that was added recently to the AcqDemo website, because about a year ago, I was looking everywhere for as much as I could find on AcqDemo and never found that document. So yes, it does state that step four of the new (GS) grade has to be equal or less than the departing employee's AcqDemo salary.

TIG is completely different. If you go to 5CFR, it specifically says that it only applies to people who have held a GS position in the last 52 weeks:

http://law.justia.com/cfr/title05/5-1.0.1.2.30.6.html

"§ 300.603   Coverage.
(a) Coverage. This subpart applies to advancement to a General Schedule position in the competitive service by any individual who within the previous 52 weeks held a General Schedule position under nontemporary appointment in the competitive or excepted service in the executive branch, unless excluded by paragraph (b) of this section."

Anyway, glad you managed to convert out of it. I think it's a terrible system.Nerdles2013-03-09 18:43:16
Joseph Stevenson  
#13 Posted : Sunday, March 10, 2013 2:25:15 AM(UTC)
JahJoe

Glad to see and meet people who understand documentation is everything! I came across a lot of information but this document and the information posted in the start of the tread was the most valuable information I was able to supply the HR Rep. Everyone in HR who I speak with no matter the agency, no one has a good understanding of Acq demo. I hope this document and the information provided will assist other in their quest to transition and ensure they are properly rewarded.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed