Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dragonhood  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 7:21:52 AM(UTC)
Dragonhood

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/13/2013(UTC)
Posts: 128

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
City Carrier Assistant Positions
1. What is the reason for creating City Carrier Assistant (CCA) positions?
The Postal Service needs a less expensive delivery workforce to (1) ensure the gap between cost and revenue per delivery does not continue to grow, and (2) position the Postal Service to be competitive as it moves further into the same-day and next-day package delivery markets. The new non-career workforce of bargaining-unit City Carrier Assistants may perform the full range of letter carrier duties and will have a wage rate and benefit structure which will reduce city delivery unit labor costs.
2. What are the new positions?
Four new positions have been established. They are:
 City Carrier Assistant 1
 City Carrier Assistant Tech 1
 City Carrier Assistant 2
 City Carrier Assistant Tech 2
The CCA 1 positions are filled under Article 7.C.1 of the NALC Agreement. The number of such positions is capped at 15% of the full time career carriers per District (see Q 18). The CCA 2 positions are filled under Article 7.C.2 of the NALC Agreement. These are positions established to allow flexibility in order to meet the fundamental changes in the business environment including but not limited to flexible windows that may be necessary to provide new products and services. The number of such positions is capped at 8% of the full time career carriers per District (see Q 18).
3. Will CCAs be required to qualify on Examination 473?
Yes.
4. Will CCAs have a limited term of appointment? If so, how long?
Yes. CCA employees will have limited term appointments of 360 calendar days.
5. Will CCAs be eligible for dual appointments in any other non-career position?
No.
6. Will CCAs be eligible for reappointment after a break in service?
Yes. They will be eligible for reappointment after a break of 5 days.
7. Will CCAs have any kind of probation period?
CCAs do not serve a traditional probationary period. However, CCAs may be disciplined or removed within the term of their appointment for just cause and any such discipline or removal will be subject to the grievance arbitration procedure, provided that within the immediately preceding six months, the employee has completed ninety work days, or has been employed for 120 calendar days (whichever comes first) of their initial appointment. A CCA who has previously satisfied the 90/120 day requirement either as a CCA or transitional employee (with an appointment made after September 29, 2007), will have access to the grievance procedure without regard to his/her length of service as a CCA.
8. When will TE Carriers need to be off the rolls?
Any TE Carriers remaining on the rolls on April 10, 2013 will be separated effective close of business that day.
9. Will competitive selection from a vacancy announcement be the only external recruitment source for the entry-level CCA, or will former CCAs who separate voluntarily be eligible for noncompetitive consideration?
Former CCAs (a) separated during their term of appointment due to lack of work or (b) separated upon completion of their term of appointment due to lack of work, are eligible for noncompetitive reappointment as CCA in the same installation provided the need for hiring arises within 18 months of separation. Such former CCAs will be given preference for reappointment ahead of other CCAs with less relative standing in the installation. A former CCA who is separated for other than lack of work (including voluntary resignation) is not eligible for noncompetitive reappointment in the same installation or another installation.
10. Will CCAs earn Annual Leave as TE Carriers did?
Yes. CCAs will earn 1 hour of Annual Leave for each unit of 20 hours in pay status in each pay period.
11. What hourly rate will the CCAs be paid?
Newly appointed CCAs Grade 1 will be paid at $15.00 per hour. Former TE Carriers who were on the rolls on January 10, 2013 and are appointed as a CCA will be paid at their current rate through the last day of the pay period, April 19, 2013, and afterwards at the appropriate step AA hourly rate of $16.25 per hour.
12. Will the CCA positions have the same duties as the Transitional Employee (TE) positions?
CCAs may perform the full range of letter carrier duties.
13. Is the CCA a career or non-career position?
The CCA is a non-career bargaining unit position.
14. When will the new positions be established or become effective?
Within 90 days of the date of the Award (Jan. 10, 2013). Programming is expected to be in place to allow for vacancy announcements posted on usps.com beginning Jan. 23, 2013.
15. Is there a CAP on the number of positions allocated per District?
Yes. The number of CCA 1s and CCA Tech 1s who may be employed in any reporting period cannot exceed 15% of the total number of full-time career city carriers in the District. The number of CCA2s and CCA Tech 2s (employed to provide new products and services) cannot exceed 8,000 nationally or 8% of the total number of full-time career city carriers in the District.
16. Will this position have benefits?
Yes:
 CCAs will earn 1 hour of annual leave for every 20 hours in a pay status.
 CCAs will be eligible for uniform allowance after 90 work days or 120 calendar days, whichever comes first (and time served as a Transitional Employee will count toward the 90/120 day requirement).
a. After an initial appointment for a 360-day term followed by a 5-day break in service and reappointment to another 360-day term, CCA’s will have an opportunity to enroll in the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program (FEHB) if all other requirements are met.
 Service as a TE carrier followed by an appointment to a CCA position with no more than a 5-day break in service will count toward the requirement for FEHB eligibility of reaching a second year of employment without a break in service of more than five days.
 Any eligible noncareer CCA employee who wants to pay health insurance premiums on a pre-tax basis will be permitted to make an election to do so in accordance withapplicable procedures.
 The total cost of health insurance is the responsibility of the CCA employee except as follows. NOTE: Beginning in Plan Year 2014, the Postal Service will make bi-weekly contributions for self-only coverage to the total premium for any CCA employee who wishes to participate in the USPS Non-Career Employee Health Benefits Plan (USPS Plan) equal to the greater of (a) $125, or (b) the minimum required by the Patient Protection and Affordability Care Act, and applicable regulations. A CCA is responsible for the cost of premiums for coverage beyond a self-only plan. If the USPS Non-Career Employee Health Benefits Plan is not available to a CCA, or if a CCA elects more than self-only coverage, the contributions above will be made for any eligible CCA who elects an NALC Consumer Driven Health Plan. All CCA employees that average 30 or more hours will be eligible for the USPS Plan; more information will be provided in the open season for Plan Year 2014.
delovibrio  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 8:31:12 AM(UTC)
delovibrio

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/12/2011(UTC)
Posts: 1,355

and I do not see the main point all the guys are looking for

total te time vz installation time?

figures
KingJaffe  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 8:42:51 AM(UTC)
KingJaffe

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/8/2008(UTC)
Posts: 1,369

Who qualifies for cca 2?
CCA but not 4 long..lol
te2b  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 10:45:52 AM(UTC)
te2b

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/11/2008(UTC)
Posts: 243

CCA 1 is new employees, CCA 2 is current TEs. I want to know what the difference is between CCA 2 and CCA Tech 2. Anybody know?
<strong><em><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><font size="2"><font color=GREEN>"Life's River Shall Rise, And Only The Strong Shall Survive"</strong></em></font></font></font>
TETastic  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 10:50:11 AM(UTC)
TETastic

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/15/2010(UTC)
Posts: 817

CCA Tech 2 is a CCA with an opt on a T6 position.
unclejimbo  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 11:16:05 AM(UTC)
unclejimbo

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/23/2012(UTC)
Posts: 3,812

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
te2b wrote:
CCA 1 is new employees, CCA 2 is current TEs. I want to know what the difference is between CCA 2 and CCA Tech 2. Anybody know?


Not exactly. There is a cap on CCA's nationwide of 15%. These are the CCA1/CCA1 Tech's. There is authorization for an additional 8,000 CCA's nationwide beyond the 15% cap for certain installations needing help with God-knows-what transformation. These are CCA2/CCA2 Techs. There is no differentiation between former TE's and Joe Blow.
If you ever start to feel like the world has forgotten about you, try missing a couple payments.
postalvet  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 11:16:21 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/29/2009(UTC)
Posts: 5,350
Location: southern calif

Thanks: 6 times
Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
te2b wrote:
CCA 1 is new employees, CCA 2 is current TEs.


that is not what it states.

"The CCA 2 positions are filled under Article 7.C.2 of the NALC Agreement. These are positions established to allow flexibility in order to meet the fundamental changes in the business environment including but not limited to flexible windows that may be necessary to provide new products and services. The number of such positions is capped at 8% of the full time career carriers per District (see Q 18)."

looks like CCA 2 will be used for same day delivery seeing how there can only be 8K.postalvet2013-01-26 19:22:54
Retired postal worker of 38 years who is willing to help even though some do not want to hear the truth.
nodoubt  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 4:51:19 PM(UTC)
nodoubt

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/11/2011(UTC)
Posts: 2,015

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
delovibrio wrote:
and I do not see the main point all the guys are looking for

total te time vz installation time?

figures


Gotta wait until feb 9th I guess.
Melerkat  
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 11:29:12 PM(UTC)
Melerkat

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/13/2011(UTC)
Posts: 2,648

It's quite clearly stated on page 14 of the award that relative standing is determined by the date in installation the TE was hired in.
AND ALL TIME WORKED AFTER 2007 ANYWHERE IS ADDED. BUT IN THAT INSTALLATION OF INITIAL APPOINTMENT. Very important.
(And personally, unless that office/installation has the carrier mix I'm looking for, I would not bother applying in my "home office." I use this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to make "a transfer." You WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DO IT LATER, without falling to the bottom of the Totem Pole).

Obviously, a newly hired CCA in an office that had say, 4 vacancies, no PTF's and 10 TE's with an aged workforce shouldn't worry about "Relative Standing." That CCA is clearly on a fast-track toward making regular.

Find an office with just 5 routes, no PTF's and 1 vacancy, then the first CCA hired would make regular in two pay periods.

I would not be concerned about PTF's from other offices transferring in to swipe all the vacancies first. In all the offices I visit (147 in my Branch), just one PTF asked about it. At our Union Meeting (roughly 300-400 attendees each month) no PTF's expressed a desire to move. That's because they know their offices and are confident that by 2016 they'll make regular, or if not then the USPS is COMPELLED to either make them unassigned regulars or assist them in finding a home within 50-miles.

The Trump Cards that a TE who passes the test hold are:
A) Because they have prior service time, they start at AA, not BB, REGARDLESS of the office they are appointed to.
B) They have an opportunity to apply for an office that promises, based on vacancies and employee compliment, a short time as CAA and a long career as a regular carrier.
C) If the CAA chooses to be rehired in the office he was originally appointed to, that CCA would move to the top of the seniority list according to where his seniority lay among other CCA's. So AGAIN, a fast-track toward a regular career.


See Page 14

Take it word by word. "When HIRED." (As a new CCA).

"A CCA's relative standing IN AN INSTALLATION IS DETERMINED BY" (Original Appointment date IN THAT INSTALLATION, with ANY TIME SERVED, IN ANY OTHER OFFICE....ADDED...TO THE RELATIVE STANDING FOR THAT ORIGIONAL APPOINTMENT OFFICE).

I think it's quite clear. I fail to see all the confusion. Melerkat2013-01-27 07:46:48
“Soldiers can sometimes make decisions that are smarter than the orders they've been given.”<br />― Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game
Dragonhood  
#10 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2013 4:48:28 AM(UTC)
Dragonhood

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/13/2013(UTC)
Posts: 128

Wrong. simply wrong.

Relative standing in an installation is your total non-career carrier time in comparison to other non-career carriers in your installation. Installation being the entity consisting of 1 or more offices in a designated area.

it has no bearing on other offices that are not in your installation.


In order to simplify things, look at it this way...

once you are hired, all other offices that are not part of the installation you work at don't exist. You, as a CCa cannot transfer to them, and no CCA that was hired at another installation can be transferred into yours.

Your total time as a TE+CCA is used to rank you against other CCAs in your installation only. You can opt on any vacant route in your installation but not on one in another installation, because, for all intents and purposes, they do not exist to we lowly CCAs.

Lets pretend you work in Metropolis,an installation with 10 Post offices. You time is compared to all other CCAs in Metropolis, at all 10 postoffices. But your Relative standing is not compared to the CCAs in Gotham city, because they are a different installation. If you want to work in Gotham because you feel that there are more opportunities, you must apply and be hired for the job, and may not just transfer.

If you want to work at another installation, you must apply, interview, and be hired at that installation. then your realtive standing would be the total of your total time as a TE + the date of hire as a CCA at the new installation. and once again you are now only compared with other CCAs in your new installation.


please do not allow yourselves to confuse the ability to transfer that FTRs and PTFs have with the indentured status we TE/CCAs have.
delovibrio  
#11 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2013 4:52:03 AM(UTC)
delovibrio

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/12/2011(UTC)
Posts: 1,355

Dragonhood wrote:
Wrong. simply wrong.

Relative standing in an installation is your total non-career carrier time in comparison to other non-career carriers in your installation. Installation being the entity consisting of 1 or more offices in a designated area.

it has no bearing on other offices that are not in your installation.


In order to simplify things, look at it this way...

once you are hired, all other offices that are not part of the installation you work at don't exist. You, as a CCa cannot transfer to them, and no CCA that was hired at another installation can be transferred into yours.

Your total time as a TE+CCA is used to rank you against other CCAs in your installation only. You can opt on any vacant route in your installation but not on one in another installation, because, for all intents and purposes, they do not exist to we lowly CCAs.

Lets pretend you work in Metropolis,an installation with 10 Post offices. You time is compared to all other CCAs in Metropolis, at all 10 postoffices. But your Relative standing is not compared to the CCAs in Gotham city, because they are a different installation. If you want to work in Gotham because you feel that there are more opportunities, you must apply and be hired for the job, and may not just transfer.

If you want to work at another installation, you must apply, interview, and be hired at that installation. then your realtive standing would be the total of your total time as a TE + the date of hire as a CCA at the new installation. and once again you are now only compared with other CCAs in your new installation.


please do not allow yourselves to confuse the ability to transfer that FTRs and PTFs have with the indentured status we TE/CCAs have.

perfect.
your last paragrapgh is the key. the main difference, it is why a te must research all offices and apply, specifically offices with no ptf's and being the te with the most time.
very good post
Melerkat  
#12 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2013 5:14:24 AM(UTC)
Melerkat

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/13/2011(UTC)
Posts: 2,648

delovibrio wrote:
Dragonhood wrote:
Wrong. simply wrong.

Relative standing in an installation is your total non-career carrier time in comparison to other non-career carriers in your installation. Installation being the entity consisting of 1 or more offices in a designated area.

it has no bearing on other offices that are not in your installation.


In order to simplify things, look at it this way...

once you are hired, all other offices that are not part of the installation you work at don't exist. You, as a CCa cannot transfer to them, and no CCA that was hired at another installation can be transferred into yours.

Your total time as a TE+CCA is used to rank you against other CCAs in your installation only. You can opt on any vacant route in your installation but not on one in another installation, because, for all intents and purposes, they do not exist to we lowly CCAs.

Lets pretend you work in Metropolis,an installation with 10 Post offices. You time is compared to all other CCAs in Metropolis, at all 10 postoffices. But your Relative standing is not compared to the CCAs in Gotham city, because they are a different installation. If you want to work in Gotham because you feel that there are more opportunities, you must apply and be hired for the job, and may not just transfer.

If you want to work at another installation, you must apply, interview, and be hired at that installation. then your realtive standing would be the total of your total time as a TE + the date of hire as a CCA at the new installation. and once again you are now only compared with other CCAs in your new installation.


please do not allow yourselves to confuse the ability to transfer that FTRs and PTFs have with the indentured status we TE/CCAs have.

perfect.
your last paragrapgh is the key. the main difference, it is why a te must research all offices and apply, specifically offices with no ptf's and being the te with the most time.
very good post


I don't know who you're calling wrong, because I posted the EXACT QUOTE in the Award.

And where did I ever say that a CCA could transfer AFTER hire? I said to RESEARCH...FIND FERTILE GROUND that you want to apply for consideration to PRIOR TO BEING HIRED.

And that "TE TIME THAT NEVER EXISTED" does indeed exist, IF THE CCA CHOOSES TO APPLY FOR THE SAME OFFICE HE WAS ORIGINALLY APPOINTED TO.

Once again, please read the darned Award. Then re-read what I said.
“Soldiers can sometimes make decisions that are smarter than the orders they've been given.”<br />― Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game
Dendros  
#13 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2014 8:12:47 AM(UTC)
Dendros

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/23/2013(UTC)
Posts: 16

Thanks: 1 times
What is (still) unclear to me is the pay structure for CCA-1 vs CCA-2.

When I applied, I applied as a CCA-2. After doing initial research and finding the pay was higher than as a CCA-2, I was even more interested. (Who wouldn't be interested in more pay?) When I was hired, I was verbally informed the pay was for $15 an hour (CCA-1 pay), but I was being hired as a CCA-2. A little confusing, but I figured the person misspoke as we sometimes do.

It was like being told, 'Here you have an apple. But it is not an apple, it only looks like one. It is actually an orange.'

Later, when I realized I was being paid at the lesser rate, I asked the person I was hired by about it. They asked if I had been given anything that stated I was being hired at the larger rate and did it state that on my offer letter? I informed her I had not received an offer letter (In fact, when I went in for fingerprinting the 4 of us there discussed the very topic about not being given an offer letter.)

Once I told the person who hired me I had not received one, I was sent an electronic copy the next day. It was the first time I had seen one.

Is this grievable, and would it find any traction? It seems if someone is hired as a CCA-2, they should receive CCA-2 pay. If not, is the CCA-2 only a step, and received the second year after the 360 day contract? Or is that muddying the issue?Dendros2014-01-12 16:23:38
dackms  
#14 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2014 10:25:56 AM(UTC)
dackms

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/30/2012(UTC)
Posts: 88

You do not have to reapply for a job to transfer. I'm a CCA in Ohio. Transferred to SC. Postmasters did the work. I didn't reapply for anything.
Shorty5  
#15 Posted : Thursday, February 06, 2014 10:15:36 PM(UTC)
Shorty5

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/31/2014(UTC)
Posts: 12

If a cca is turned career wat will be their pay rate
benjim24  
#16 Posted : Thursday, February 06, 2014 10:40:10 PM(UTC)
benjim24

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/27/2012(UTC)
Posts: 189

$16.88/hr i believe
almostanftr  
#17 Posted : Friday, February 07, 2014 2:23:53 AM(UTC)
almostanftr

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/15/2013(UTC)
Posts: 2,420

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
dackms wrote:
You do not have to reapply for a job to transfer. I'm a CCA in Ohio. Transferred to SC. Postmasters did the work. I ydidn't reapply for anything.


You did not reapply for the cca position , u applied to a cca posting.

This is the only way to transfer
Park and Loop  
#18 Posted : Friday, February 07, 2014 6:40:18 AM(UTC)
Park and Loop

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/17/2013(UTC)
Posts: 231

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Dendros wrote:
What is (still) unclear to me is the pay structure for CCA-1 vs CCA-2.

When I applied, I applied as a CCA-2. After doing initial research and finding the pay was higher than as a CCA-2, I was even more interested. (Who wouldn't be interested in more pay?) When I was hired, I was verbally informed the pay was for $15 an hour (CCA-1 pay), but I was being hired as a CCA-2. A little confusing, but I figured the person misspoke as we sometimes do.

It was like being told, 'Here you have an apple. But it is not an apple, it only looks like one. It is actually an orange.'

Later, when I realized I was being paid at the lesser rate, I asked the person I was hired by about it. They asked if I had been given anything that stated I was being hired at the larger rate and did it state that on my offer letter? I informed her I had not received an offer letter (In fact, when I went in for fingerprinting the 4 of us there discussed the very topic about not being given an offer letter.)

Once I told the person who hired me I had not received one, I was sent an electronic copy the next day. It was the first time I had seen one.

Is this grievable, and would it find any traction? It seems if someone is hired as a CCA-2, they should receive CCA-2 pay. If not, is the CCA-2 only a step, and received the second year after the 360 day contract? Or is that muddying the issue?


Does anyone have an answer to this question? I'm a CCA2 but also receive the CCA1 pay.
CarrierMike  
#19 Posted : Friday, February 07, 2014 10:18:03 AM(UTC)
CarrierMike

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/12/2013(UTC)
Posts: 55

We had a 6 year TE turned CCA, transfer to a another City not part of our Installation in October, his TE time transferred but not CCA time as I believe CCA time is Installation specific. I was told yesterday that our top 5 made FTR 2/22 I inquired about him as he was #2 of 18 at our station when he left and He is also being made FTR on 2/22 at new office his buddy told me when he moved there he jumped in front of like 21 people
CCA
almostanftr  
#20 Posted : Friday, February 07, 2014 11:19:29 AM(UTC)
almostanftr

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/15/2013(UTC)
Posts: 2,420

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
CarrierMike wrote:
We had a 6 year TE turned CCA, transfer to a another City not part of our Installation in October, his TE time transferred but not CCA time as I believe CCA time is Installation specific. I was told yesterday that our top 5 made FTR 2/22 I inquired about him as he was #2 of 18 at our station when he left and He is also being made FTR on 2/22 at new office his buddy told me when he moved there he jumped in front of like 21 people


Correct!

He made a wise decision.

cca time does not transfer
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest
2 Pages12>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.


This page was generated in 1.620 seconds.