Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
smalltownpost  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 2:27:10 AM(UTC)
smalltownpost

Groups: Registered

For folks attempting to get in to offices in smaller towns as a CCA, is there any chance at them making FTR in a relatively short time? I understand if someone retires and there is no PTF the CCA could/would move up but I'm confused by the 15% and 8% regular to CCA ratios and how they impact things in a post office with, for example, only one route, or 3 regular routes and 1 aux route. Any info would be truly appreciated.smalltownpost2013-01-29 10:33:52
TException  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 5:26:45 AM(UTC)
TException

If the office with a single route becomes vacant, the route will go up for bidding. Depending on the surrounding PTF's and Regulars in nearby offices, some could be very interested in a single route city. VERY Interested. If you don't know why, ask around. The more you investigate the nearby carriers, the better idea you will have on your chances.
Occums Chainsaw  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 5:34:45 AM(UTC)
Occums Chainsaw

The 15 percent and 8 percent thing are district wide
smalltownpost  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 6:34:03 AM(UTC)
smalltownpost

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I am thinking I am pretty much screwed at a shot at getting regular in a quick time frame in any type of small office. I talked to the PM at the office with the single route, and inquired about the hours the CCA would get and was told the current TE normally only gets 8 hours a week, on a Thursday when he fills in for the FTR. She said this month he has mainly worked at a bunch of other surrounding offices that needed help. Pretty much what I figured it would be.

The other office I applied at has 4 routes, but only 3 are full-time routes (assuming anyway, since it shows a little over 300 so must be an aux?), and from what I understand they have 3 FTRs and one TE at the moment. So the one FTR per full-time route wording in the Agreement doesn't help me out there.

The office I am starting at and could continue at as a CCA (I at least made the hiring list, so that's a start) would promote the PTF first, but then I *think* I would be next up for FTR after that. But that could be 2019, since second senior-most FTR started in 1989.

It's all so confusing to me. I don't mind having to wait, but was really hoping there would be a way to make regular sooner. :(
Occums Chainsaw  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:08:50 AM(UTC)
Occums Chainsaw

If you do only get 10 or so hours a week can you do some computer stuff on the side?
alpine2g  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:13:44 AM(UTC)
alpine2g

I'm in a small office, I get 36+ hours a week since every carrier has 5+ weeks of vacation! I seen the leave book this year, filled solid from second week of march until second week of November. Have two carriers that can retire right now, but they have pretty easy routes and both forty yes forty + years being carriers.
5 year T.E. retired a CCA 8/20/2013.
smalltownpost  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:27:36 AM(UTC)
smalltownpost

Occums Chainsaw wrote:
If you do only get 10 or so hours a week can you do some computer stuff on the side?

Yeah, I can definitely do web stuff as needed. Was just hoping to a good steady 40 hours a week as a CCA, but I guess I will just roll with things as they come.

Still pretty pumped about being a carrier. Defensive Driving Course (DDC) tomorrow, then LLV training on Friday morning.

I felt pretty bad for one of the other TE's in the orientation. He had no idea about the whole TE phase out, taking the 473, applying for the CCA gig, etc. Yesterday (first day of orientation) the guy that does the LLV training stuff asked to talk to the folks coming on as a TE, and the first thing he asked us was if we had taken the 473 exam yet.

Thanks to this forum and you guys, I was ready to go when in came time to get the CCA stuff rolling.
smalltownpost  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:30:50 AM(UTC)
smalltownpost

alpine2g wrote:
I'm in a small office, I get 36+ hours a week since every carrier has 5+ weeks of vacation! I seen the leave book this year, filled solid from second week of march until second week of November. Have two carriers that can retire right now, but they have pretty easy routes and both forty yes forty + years being carriers.

That's good to hear that you get pretty good hours. Wow, 40+ years. That's impressive.
Occums Chainsaw  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9:58:56 AM(UTC)
Occums Chainsaw

I took the test with a gal who's worked 5 years as a TE in a VERY small town who routinely gets 30hrs/week. You may be ok Smalltown. Just remember that you get paid by the hour. I am a runner. I do routes way too fast and it doesn't pay. Work safely. Don't move to impress.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed