Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

BRAC - Base Realignment and Closure

The effects of a base closure can be huge - causing much stress and questions. This forum can help with the sharing of ideas, suggestions, and answers of those affected (currently or in the past) by BRAC.

Be civil when debating with others in the forum. Uncivil remarks toward any other forum member is prohibited on FederalSoup.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
moneng  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2007 7:45:18 PM(UTC)
moneng

Groups: Registered

I think after Pallone,Holt, Ferlise drilled the GAO and proved Maryland can not handle the work and are not ready for us we will not be closed! After thhey brought up the rising costs the govt has no choice to stop the BRAC for Ft Monmouth. Good job to the elected officials from NJ
MonTech  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 20, 2007 2:54:42 AM(UTC)
MonTech

Wishfull thinking there moneng, or is it ex-moneng, Navy boy. I think there is a chance the Ft. may stay open, but it is a very slim chance at that. If our politicians worked half as hard when BRAC was happening as they are now, we may not be in this position.
mtg2005  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2008 5:15:24 PM(UTC)
mtg2005

If you are still reading the forum, a vistor that works up at APG told us that they are going full guns on the construction.
steven_gldmn  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2008 5:47:44 AM(UTC)
steven_gldmn

I recently reviewed a GAO report which seemed to conclude that two major BRAC logistics-related decisions (actually mostly BRAC actions to concur w/DoD recommendations) which involved transferring two major logistics type responsibilities from the four military services to the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) would actually cost more and/or save less than what the DoD and/or the BRAC Commission had predicted. Sorry, I cannot recall the location of where on the GAO web site I found it.

While DLA agreed w/some & objected to some of GAO's conclusions, the report also seemed to indicate that DLA/DoD was going to go ahead w/the actions anyway despite the higher costs to be incurred as a result of the implementation of those actions.
Retired DoD Fed
williamske  
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 01, 2008 8:06:31 AM(UTC)
williamske

I found this article:

http://www.politickernj.com/thester/22295/conners-critical-gao-report-means-pentagon-must-rethink-fort-monmouth-closure

I wonder if a hearing is already set for this. Does anyone know?
maxketter  
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 01, 2008 9:47:03 AM(UTC)
maxketter

BRAC was set up to keep Congress from getting involved. The closure will happen on schedule your only option is to move with the job or to seek employment elsewhere
sweetpea79  
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 12, 2009 1:10:25 AM(UTC)
sweetpea79

They are going full speed ahead on the new CECOM HQ here at APG. From what I understand it's scheduled to be done around Dec 2011. I highly doubt they will cancel anything at this point. Ordnance is supposed to start moving out to Ft Lee this summer with most of it being out in the Spring of 2010.

I understand that people up at Monmouth and the "powers that be" are dragging their feet as to who wants to move and how many people they need to hire down here at APG. For those up in NJ wondering about MD, it's a nice place to live down here. So if you don't find a job on APG, you have Baltimore, DC and Philly to choose from.
williamske  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2009 6:05:17 AM(UTC)
williamske

Letter from NJ Mayor to President

Military will not update BRAC figures for cost of move

Obviously you do not read the newspapers. It very well maybe stopped. BRAC was initiated during a very different economic time nearly 4 years ago. This recession was not planned. The military is not releasing figures because it will prove to have gone up astronomically again, and it will bring attention to the matter.

If the president can spare jobs he will, and if he can spare economic turmoil to a densely populated state.... he will. Lets hope this new administration does what it was elected to do. Big Grin
maxketter  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2009 7:45:48 AM(UTC)
maxketter

don't stand at the gate as the moving trucks start
PERSEC  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 25, 2009 2:01:27 AM(UTC)
PERSEC

I'm now assigned to CECOM at Fort Monmouth. I can report that things are still moving along. There are now pictures of the construction hanging up.

On my inprocessing the first thing I was given by HR was the red relocation box.

I'm not that concerned whether it happens or not but all things point to it happening. Word is that they are WAY ahead of schedule on the construction too.
Spaceshot  
#11 Posted : Monday, April 06, 2009 2:42:26 AM(UTC)
Spaceshot

Moneng

You have been spreading this rumor for 4 years now.

Monmouth is/will close/closing.

Get over it. Sounds like your grasping at straw's.
moneng  
#12 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2009 10:26:18 PM(UTC)
moneng

quote:
Originally posted by Spaceshot:
Moneng

You have been spreading this rumor for 4 years now.

Monmouth is/will close/closing.

Get over it. Sounds like your grasping at straw's.

I've only been registered on this site for 3 years Roll Eyes
Fedgrrl  
#13 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2009 1:51:55 AM(UTC)
Fedgrrl

By law, the military installations ordered closed by the 2005 BRAC Commission must be closed by November 2011. Fort Monmouth is not only closing, but the Local Redevelopment Authority has completed and submitted its reuse plan to DoD, in accordance with the provisions of the Base Closure Community Redevelopment and Homeless Assistance Act of 1994, as amended. It doesn't matter how bad you want it to stay open or what you read in the papers. Check out www.oea.gov for more information on the BRAC program.
Spaceshot  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, October 13, 2009 7:24:39 PM(UTC)
Spaceshot

williamske that isn't even a REAL news source. You mine as well read the onion.

Take investment advise from a fortune cookie.

FT monmouth is closing PERIOD. BUH BYE
TRW  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2010 4:48:41 AM(UTC)
TRW

Compared to some places I have been or heard of, Fort Monmouth will be relatively cheap and easy for DoD to close.  If they can close a facility that has one of the few operating nuclear reactors in the military (McClellan AFB) something small and piddly like Fort Monmouth will be easy to close. 
buckeyeguy2010  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, March 31, 2010 6:06:45 PM(UTC)
buckeyeguy2010

Confused Correct me if my memory is faulty but I think some other posters have reported that construction was in progress at APG in MD to be able to receive the transferred functions of Fort Monmouth.  Can anybody in the area of APG give us a current status report?
Retreaded DD/GS Careerist
TRW  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, March 31, 2010 10:59:15 PM(UTC)
TRW

Some of the new buildings at APG will be ready to move into as soon as this October.  Most of the rest will be ready by Spring 2011.

Goodbye Monmouth!
chappy  
#18 Posted : Thursday, April 01, 2010 4:16:21 AM(UTC)
chappy

I take the train from Aberdeen every day to DC. Just some observations:

1) The State of Maryland  and the city of Aberdeen do not appear to have had enough logistical planning to support the numbers of vehicles and people that will be streaming down here.

2) Check the University of Delaware website regarding the redevolpment of the former Chrysler plant. My guess some of you guys in Monmouth wil end up there.

3) If you live in Monmouth County and like it, I suggest you look at Delaware as your home over the immediate Aberdeen area. Again I think you may find logistically that there is more things in the Newark DE area ( about a half hour away) that you already have in common in the way of better schools, housing,  food and alike. Also tax issues much better Aberdeen will be great in say ten years.

4) Ask what kind of mass transit set up is being planned to deal with the flow of new workers in the area.

overpaid  
#19 Posted : Friday, April 02, 2010 1:35:30 AM(UTC)
overpaid

DOD announced earlier this week that the deadlines for all BRAC's will be met
dstrob  
#20 Posted : Thursday, July 07, 2011 12:43:35 AM(UTC)
dstrob

There are less than 1,000 workers from 5,000 left today here at Ft Monmouth. The gym, child care center, gas stations, PX, clinic are all closed. The network goes down on Aug 15. Still think we're going to be spared? Think again. We are at the point on no-return. RIP Fort Monmouth. Died at the hands of greedy politicians.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed