Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NYGrad1  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2013 10:56:57 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

What happens if you don't get a promised promotion after the 52 weeks? (even if you have the "exceeds expectations/highest level" on all reviews) Can it NOT be done on the 53rd week? Can they just decide to do it many months after with no good reason?
Katydid_MD  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2013 11:46:10 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I recommend asking your manager about your promotion. I believe they still have to file a form, even if you are in a "ladder" position. Also, there is sometimes a slight delay, because the pay periods don't line up exactly with your anniversary date.

Best of luck to you!
TheFrederalGovt  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2013 6:21:26 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Even with ladder positions, you must understand that promotions are not automatic. For many managers if you get a great evaluation it shows you did well at that grade level, however does not necessarily say you are ready for the next level - which Katy might attest to - different supervisors have different thresholds for promoting someone.TheFrederalGovt2013-02-13 02:27:05
Scott Dickinson  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2013 8:18:37 PM(UTC)
computerscott2

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Agreed. Promotions are not automatic, nor are they supposed to be "promised". You cannot legally be told that you will get a promotion on day one because that would amount to "preselection". They have not seen your performance yet, so how can they "guarantee" that you will get a promotion. Legally they are supposed to say that your performance will be reviewed and if your skills are such that you are ready, you may be promoted to he next position.
Communicator  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 1:28:13 AM(UTC)

Also, keep in mind that hiring freezes/promotion freezes are in effect for many organizations.
frankgonzalez  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 3:20:17 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1208 time(s) in 965 post(s)
computerscott...if the position is a "ladder" or developmental position, then it is not preselection to tell someone they will be promoted IF they meet all requirements. You do not have to be working at the next higher level for promotion. You only need 52 weeks at the lower level/grade and successful performance at that grade to be promoted (and successful only needs to meet standards. You don't have to exceed or be outstanding).

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Forrest Carver  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 5:41:53 AM(UTC)
fcarver

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Also, as I've mentioned on other posts, if you're Department of the Army, it's official Army policy to give make a Ladder promotion effective the 1st pay period after the anniversary date, unless there's unsat performance. The policy memo also authorizes back-dating.

Policy is available on CPOL, or if you search some of my old posts.
flupedogg  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 6:45:48 AM(UTC)

Also, if you have a crappy manager, even if you do remind them that your 52 weeks is coming up months before, they still might waffle on the paper work. My actual start date and when I got a grade, now step, increases is about 1 1/2 months off. Didn't get back-dating or back pay either.
Baron Samedi  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:22:26 AM(UTC)
Baron Samedi

I had the same situation, but I did get the promotion retroactively along with back pay.

It's important to speak with your supervisor to ensure the appropriate paperwork is submitted. It is not automatic like a step increase and sometimes the paperwork can fall through the cracks.

NYGrad1  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 9:28:22 AM(UTC)

How did you go about getting it retroactively? I was told today that wasn't an option. It has been agreed that I have been performing at the next level for enough time. In short, there is no reason to deny the promotion. A this point is being given. I just want to know what the procedures are regarding "retroacting" the promotion.
Scott Dickinson  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:27:24 PM(UTC)
computerscott2

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 33 post(s)
frankgonzalez wrote:
computerscott...if the position is a "ladder" or developmental position, then it is not preselection to tell someone they will be promoted IF they meet all requirements. You do not have to be working at the next higher level for promotion. You only need 52 weeks at the lower level/grade and successful performance at that grade to be promoted (and successful only needs to meet standards. You don't have to exceed or be outstanding).

That is what I was saying. IF they meet the requirements, then they can be promoted, but career ladder promotions are not guaranteed. To tell someone their first day on the job "In a year you will be promoted..." WITHOUT the clarification statement of "if your performance meets...." then it would amount to "preselection". I realize that preselection has other connotations when talking about hiring and that is not what I am talking about. You cannot legally tell someone (in the federal system) whose performace you have not yet seen, that they WILL be promoted in a year. OPM specifically inserted wording to state that career ladder promotions were not automatic, mandatory, nor promised, that it was up to agency discretion if the employee was ready to be promoted. Once you have the TIG you can be considered for promotion. I know, I had a bad supervisor throw it up in my face at my 1 year mark. He even highlighted the passage for me. He ended up dragging my promotion out another month, just to play the "KMA" games and "When I say jump, you say 'how high?'" type of games. I was working circles around the other "journey" level employees who were already at the higher levels. So it was not a problem of me not being "experienced" enough. Strangely enough the bad supervisor would almost tell me daily "You da man!" and other complimentary comments about my work. He just got on a power trip because this was my last promotion in my career ladder and would be his last chance to flex his muscles over me. Ironically, 6 months from the day he told me that "promotions are not guaranteed" I was working at another agency. I got the heck out of Dodge as fast as I could.
Luckily, aside from that one jerk, my career ladder promotions have gone through pretty smoothly and USUALLY at the one year mark.
I made my statements about this because I did not want someone to get one of these ladder positions and assume that they would automatically get their promotion at the 1 year mark. I wanted them to be aware that the agency does have discretion and that even in career ladder positions, the promotions are not guaranteed. I have heard of a few places where the agency delayed, sometimes by several years, the career ladder promotions of it's employees. I wanted people to know that legally the agency does not have to promote them, even in career ladder positions. With this sequestration crap upon us, I can see more agencies delaying or denying career ladder promotions in the short-run. I try to inform people so that they can fight their battles with the most appropriate understanding of the rules.computerscott22013-02-14 03:37:55
Forrest Carver  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 9:15:55 PM(UTC)
fcarver

Getting it retroactive is based on Agency policy.

Again, Army policy authorizes making it retroactive. I recently received a promotion myself backdated ~7 months with backpay.

Your Service/Agency may not have such a policy, however.
Forrest Carver  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 9:18:25 PM(UTC)
fcarver

Computerscott,

Your description of your old supervisor sounds just like my old one. He said similar stuff to me, ie "You're a rockstar!" and "I'm putting you in for on the spot awards!", but drug out my promotion for a long time. I also left to get into a better environment.
RightGuy45  
#14 Posted : Saturday, January 21, 2017 9:03:38 AM(UTC)
RightGuy45

If your performance is good and you're meeting requirements for the first 10-11 months before your promotion. Can a manager come the last month before you're due your promotion and say "you know what, your performance is lacking" and stop your promotion without warning ?

Can HR question that move by the manager? Or it's basically whatever the manager says goes?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed