Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Layla84  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:27:18 AM(UTC)
Layla84

Groups: Registered

Whats the difference between the two? Will all PSE mail processing clerks convert over to MHA like some TE's converted to CCA?? Is this the same sanrio??
postalvet  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:31:47 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 8 post(s)
NO two different crafts.

why don't you pick a post and ask all your questions there?
Retired postal worker of 38 years who is willing to help even though some do not want to hear the truth.
Layla84  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:49:21 AM(UTC)
Layla84

Why is that bothering you, Why do you even care????
orlandoisme  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:06:59 AM(UTC)
orlandoisme

Layla84 wrote:
Why is that bothering you, Why do you even care????

Layla84  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:37:32 AM(UTC)
Layla84

postalvet  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 9:41:08 AM(UTC)
postalvet

you want my help but trying to keep up all the different posts is tuff, I don't know what I answered and what I didn't.
Retired postal worker of 38 years who is willing to help even though some do not want to hear the truth.
Layla84  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 9:46:49 AM(UTC)
Layla84

Oh ok, I understand. I will keep it more simple next time. I kinda new to the fourm and Im trying to get the hang of it. I have more questions for you!!
1. If I get hired as a PSE Mail Processing clerk would it be benificial to work at a large plane vs a small post office?
2. Is there a chance I can become a career employee as a mail processing clerk.
3. Do I have a better chance becoming a career employee as a MHA?
Thanks for taking the time answering my questions!
postalvet  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:02:21 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Layla84 wrote:
Oh ok, I understand. I will keep it more simple next time. I kinda new to the fourm and Im trying to get the hang of it. I have more questions for you!!
1. If I get hired as a PSE Mail Processing clerk would it be benificial to work at a large plane vs a small post office?
2. Is there a chance I can become a career employee as a mail processing clerk.
3. Do I have a better chance becoming a career employee as a MHA?
Thanks for taking the time answering my questions!

this makes it much easier.

1. I always liked plant work as you do not have to deal with the public. the public has the opinion that they are always correct and we are always wrong.

2. this is a tough one. The PSE was created because at union conventions the union was getting so much grief about part time flexibles, who were career, not getting enough hours to live. the pse is the new flexible and the only way the post office can hire career people. if and when the post office can hire career then the pse is who will be hired. there are lots of plants that will be closed over the next few years and those people must have a place to land. if it was me I would try maintenance or the carrier craft.

3. MHA is the mailhandler craft and they had MHA given to them by an arbitrator. but the hiring and the flexible thing is the same, as is closing of plants.

Now you could be in a location that a plant is not closing. this site is pretty up to date with all the closings http://www.savethepostoffice.com/ and you might get lucky and be made career, no really knows. if this was the 80's or early 90's the post office would be a good career choice, not anymore.

hope I have answered some of your questions.
Layla84  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:05:56 AM(UTC)
Layla84

If I get hired I will be working in the Sierra Coastal disrtict. Is that a good location??
CCAhopeful  
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:06:10 AM(UTC)
CCAhopeful

Making career anything at the post office is a myth
Layla84  
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:09:25 AM(UTC)
Layla84

Its always good to have a positive outlook on situations. I dont thing becoming a career obviously doesnt happen as often as it did years ago but I also think it is possible if your in the right place at the right time!!
postalvet  
#12 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:18:32 AM(UTC)
postalvet

go here http://www.apwu.org/dept/reg-coor/west/pacificarea/impact-pacificarea.htm
and page down to sierra costal find late 2012 and 2013 and click to read all the impacts. (impacts are events that are or will happen to people)
Layla84  
#13 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:27:33 AM(UTC)
Layla84

ok, thank you Postalvet!!!
Layla84  
#14 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:54:03 AM(UTC)
Layla84

There was nothing about the plant that I might be working at, so I guess that is a good thing...
CCAhopeful  
#15 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 7:41:08 PM(UTC)
CCAhopeful

Layla84 wrote:
There was nothing about the plant that I might be working at, so I guess that is a good thing...

Prolly already closed.....lol
PostalinIA  
#16 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:35:14 PM(UTC)
PostalinIA

Making career at the Postal Service is most definitely not a myth. There have been 65 clerk PSE's and 71 Motor Vehicle PSE's converted to career so far. In addition there are discussions at the National Level on PSE conversion and how it will work within a district. There are currently 16 districts over the 20% Function 1 (Plant)cap. There is currently only 3 districts over the Function 4 (window and small office)cap. PSE conversion is coming, the way they count PSE's towards the cap is already on the National Arbitration docket for May 1. http://www.apwu.org/dept/clerks/index.htm

When you look for what offices in the district are being closed or impacted, don't just look at the office you are hoping to work in, also look at the nearby offices, most specifically within 50 miles.

Both the clerk craft and the mailhandler crafts have had early outs, so this is probably not going to be a quick process. Even back when plants had PTF's in those craft it was not uncommon for it to take 5+ years to fall into a regular position.

Good Luck to you.
Guts  
#17 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 12:09:36 AM(UTC)
Guts

PostalinIA wrote:
Making career at the Postal Service is most definitely not a myth. There have been 65 clerk PSE's and 71 Motor Vehicle PSE's converted to career so far. In addition there are discussions at the National Level on PSE conversion and how it will work within a district. There are currently 16 districts over the 20% Function 1 (Plant)cap. There is currently only 3 districts over the Function 4 (window and small office)cap. PSE conversion is coming, the way they count PSE's towards the cap is already on the National Arbitration docket for May 1. http://www.apwu.org/dept/clerks/index.htm

When you look for what offices in the district are being closed or impacted, don't just look at the office you are hoping to work in, also look at the nearby offices, most specifically within 50 miles.

Both the clerk craft and the mailhandler crafts have had early outs, so this is probably not going to be a quick process. Even back when plants had PTF's in those craft it was not uncommon for it to take 5+ years to fall into a regular position.

Good Luck to you.

Limits On Use of PSEs
A body of men holding themselves accountable to nobody ought not to be trusted by anybody." --Thomas Paine<br /><br />
Beppo  
#18 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 6:29:48 AM(UTC)
Beppo

PostalinIA wrote:
There have been 65 clerk PSE's...converted to career so far.

Can you get into more detail about this? I'd only heard of 3, from this board. Also the impact statement for my region is from 2010. Anywhere to find a more updated list of future closings? Also the "Save the Post Office" site only lists post offices closed in 2011. There are rumors that the plant I'm in now may close next year. Is there anywhere online I can find possible or projected closings for 2013 and beyond?Beppo2013-03-15 14:35:25
postalvet  
#19 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 7:31:04 AM(UTC)
postalvet

postalinIA is that at the rec site? that is now closing?
LokiThinks  
#20 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 8:25:11 AM(UTC)
LokiThinks

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
PostalinIA wrote:
There have been 65 clerk PSE's and 71 Motor Vehicle PSE's converted to career so far.

Proof or it didn't happen.

PostalinIA wrote:
   In addition there are discussions at the National Level on PSE conversion and how it will work within a district.

This is true but it is only on that national level in the last APWU convention of items to try to negotiate for the next CBA in 2015. I posted the link to this like 4 or so months ago from the APWU site.
“If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.” -Isaac Newton
Rss Feed  Atom Feed