Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LokiThinks  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 04, 2013 11:17:05 AM(UTC)
LokiThinks

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Is it possible for a the EAS PTPM-55 at a RMPO to bid down to a career clerk position? And if so how long do they have to be in that position?
“If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.” -Isaac Newton
californiaclerk  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 04, 2013 11:25:23 AM(UTC)
californiaclerk

I don't know since in our area the ptpm is a position I haven't scene for very long.   Wouldn't it be a move up to go to a career clerk/or carrier position since it would be more money per hour. My understanding is that the ptpm positions top out around 19.00 per hour.If this is the correct position your refering to. In a small office ptpm.
LokiThinks  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 04, 2013 11:40:06 AM(UTC)
LokiThinks

The PTPM position is an EAS career position that tops out at 18.36. They are seen at RMPO locations and overseen by APO. Thing is though since it is technically a career position I was curious about the bidding out part. I think the position is also becoming obsolete since the arbitration won by the APWU on the 30th of March. Which is why I am asking.
“If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.” -Isaac Newton
LokiThinks  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 05, 2013 2:54:55 AM(UTC)
LokiThinks

Topping for an answer....I hope.
unclejimbo  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 05, 2013 3:52:20 AM(UTC)
unclejimbo

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I have no idea. I would guess that "bidding" into a craft position directly from an EAS position would violate the agreement of the relevant craft. The individual in question couldn't bid to a carrier job. He would have to first become a carrier (either as a PTF or Unassigned Regular depending on the installation), then bid to an available job.
If you ever start to feel like the world has forgotten about you, try missing a couple payments.
noyelling  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 05, 2013 3:52:42 AM(UTC)
noyelling

That is humorous - stamp licking as a postal job.
For that matter, I, carried mail for many, many years and when self-adhesive stamps and self-adhesive letters came in, I was happy because I saved my tongue. These days, hardly anybody sends anything in the mail but we still deliver whatever business wants.
LokiThinks  
#7 Posted : Friday, April 05, 2013 11:06:06 AM(UTC)
LokiThinks

Anyone anywhere have a legitimate answer to my question?
29 Year Carrier  
#8 Posted : Friday, April 05, 2013 11:11:53 AM(UTC)
29 Year Carrier

LokiThinks wrote:
Anyone anywhere have a legitimate answer to my question?

No.

EAS cannot BID DOWN to a clerk position. They can TRANSFER to one.
A "Voluntary Change To Lower Level."

This begins a new period of IN OFFICE seniority. (Low Regular).
"But they did not care. They're totally indifferent. All they do is mock me, just like the fat fellow. All the time, mocking, mocking, mocking. It is Babu's turn to mock."<br />&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;- Babu, in "The Finale"
29 Year Carrier  
#9 Posted : Friday, April 05, 2013 11:13:24 AM(UTC)
29 Year Carrier

Which in the APWU means NTFT.
"But they did not care. They're totally indifferent. All they do is mock me, just like the fat fellow. All the time, mocking, mocking, mocking. It is Babu's turn to mock."<br />&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;- Babu, in "The Finale"
LokiThinks  
#10 Posted : Friday, April 05, 2013 12:19:35 PM(UTC)
LokiThinks

So...it IS possible to transfer back into a career Clerk craft position from a Career PTPM-55 position? And how long does someone have to be in the EAS position before they are allowed to transfer into it?
unclejimbo  
#11 Posted : Friday, April 05, 2013 10:16:30 PM(UTC)
unclejimbo

Only craft employees can bid on available vacancies. The EAS employee would have to first transfer into the craft from the EAS position and THEN bid on the assignment. If the employee in question has been EAS for longer than 2 years he begins a new period of seniority. Otherwise (according to my understanding) he resumes his previous seniority in the craft.

If you ever start to feel like the world has forgotten about you, try missing a couple payments.
LokiThinks  
#12 Posted : Saturday, April 06, 2013 1:35:35 AM(UTC)
LokiThinks

unclejimbo wrote:
Only craft employees can bid on available vacancies. The EAS employee would have to first transfer into the craft from the EAS position and THEN bid on the assignment. If the employee in question has been EAS for longer than 2 years he begins a new period of seniority. Otherwise (according to my understanding) he resumes his previous seniority in the craft.

So again...it IS possible that a PSE can apply for an externally posted EAS PTPM-55 position and if they get it then after some time transfer into a craft position and then bid into an open assignment somewhere?

Is there any language somewhere that supports this and also for how long would they have to be in the EAS for to do it?
unclejimbo  
#13 Posted : Saturday, April 06, 2013 4:44:08 AM(UTC)
unclejimbo

This is the first you have mentioned of a PSE. I see where you're going now. It'll take some digging into EL-312 and the ELM to find the answer, but it's nap time for me. I'll see if I can get to it later.
LokiThinks  
#14 Posted : Saturday, April 06, 2013 11:44:29 AM(UTC)
LokiThinks

Any luck UncleJ?
unclejimbo  
#15 Posted : Saturday, April 06, 2013 11:48:58 AM(UTC)
unclejimbo

Haven't checked yet. I'm watching the Final Four. I'll start sniffing around soon.
LokiThinks  
#16 Posted : Saturday, April 06, 2013 11:51:28 AM(UTC)
LokiThinks

Thane Q sir.
unclejimbo  
#17 Posted : Saturday, April 06, 2013 12:42:01 PM(UTC)
unclejimbo

It appears that this is every bit as complicated as it seems. From what I can tell, an EAS employee who reassigns into a bargaining unit takes the grade that his EAS salary would put him at. For example, if he makes $18 an hour as an EAS and that would put him between grade 4 and 5 in the craft he's reassigning to, he is made a grade 5 in that craft. By definition that would mean he would be a career employee, but with a new period of seniority.

If I read the APWU contract correctly he would have to spend over a year in EAS to make this happen. Otherwise he would return to the craft as though he had never left. In the case you describe, he would be a PSE again.

Since the ELM was not written with this scenario in mind, my (admittedly rough) description may not be accurate. The best course would be to ask your NBA. I have access to a relatively high district official. I'll ask him and see what he says.
LokiThinks  
#18 Posted : Saturday, April 06, 2013 8:53:48 PM(UTC)
LokiThinks

Okay here are some followups.

If I am in that EAS position for over a year however does that mean If I transfer out over a year later that I can transfer out into a Career Craft Clerk Position? (Also from what I was reading the I thought the limit was 18 months of being in that position before being able to transfer?)

Also I am Grade 6 in terms of salary currently. So when I transfer into EAS (from what you are saying I would transfer into Grade 6 EAS?)does this mean I still have step increases as EAS until I hit the max range of the position? (Salary range of PTPM-55 is 12.42-18.36 HR Manager said I would start at 15.39) Do EAS have steps like bargaining unit positions? (My PM told me NAPUS agreed to a wage freeze would this effect step increases?)
unclejimbo  
#19 Posted : Saturday, April 06, 2013 9:05:49 PM(UTC)
unclejimbo

The EAS position has its own range of grades/levels. In my office I think the delivery supervisor is a level 17. If I became EAS in that position I would be a level 17. If I transferred back to carrier after 2 years (that's our contract) I would be at the grade/level that would get me closest to the wage I was making as EAS. In other words it's not the grade or level that matters, but the pay.

We've had a couple EAS supervisors transfer into this installation from elsewhere. They were not allowed to transfer as supervisors though. They had to drop down to a craft that this installation was accepting transfers from (letter carrier), then transfer and apply for promotion to EAS.

I don't know enough about EAS to tell you much more than that.
LokiThinks  
#20 Posted : Saturday, April 06, 2013 9:47:54 PM(UTC)
LokiThinks

I would not want to transfer as a supervisor though. I would want to transfer into a career craft position from being EAS not into another EAS. Also as for the pay the level is PTPM-55. I was just curious because they said the "salary range" was 12.42-18.36. I was curious if this meant there are step increases until I top out at 18.36, and if so does this "wage freeze" my PM was talking about freeze the step increases too?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed