Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

26 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
majun  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 08, 2013 3:47:34 AM(UTC)
majun

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/11/2012(UTC)
Posts: 195

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 36 post(s)
This is a job opening announcement for the San Francisco Asylum office, looking for 15 new asylum officers. If my information is correct, there will be other announcements coming out in the next day or two for the other asylum offices and probably from the Refugee Affairs Division for refugee officers too. There will be a lot of openings.

Just FYI

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/342967600majun2013-05-08 12:02:46
thanks 1 user thanked majun for this useful post.
Russ on 8/31/2016(UTC)
User24  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 08, 2013 5:18:13 AM(UTC)

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/20/2011(UTC)
Posts: 87

@ Majun,
Do you work for an Asylum Office? I have applied numerous times for a position and I always am referred but never selected. I currently work at the CSC as a Level II adjudicator (ISO). I have heard that Asylum Offices only select individuals with a Law degree... I only have a Bachelor's degree. Is that true?
mohamed  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 08, 2013 5:36:55 AM(UTC)
malbashir73

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/5/2013(UTC)
Posts: 1

Thanks for the lead, I already applied for this position , I have law degree + graduate degree , and I'm a vet . I received many referrals but did not got single interview , what's going on...?    
majun  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 08, 2013 6:00:19 AM(UTC)
majun

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/11/2012(UTC)
Posts: 195

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 36 post(s)
User24 wrote:
@ Majun,
Do you work for an Asylum Office? I have applied numerous times for a position and I always am referred but never selected. I currently work at the CSC as a Level II adjudicator (ISO). I have heard that Asylum Offices only select individuals with a Law degree... I only have a Bachelor's degree. Is that true?



I work for RAIO, the division under which the asylum program falls. I work a lot with the training team, so I have a lot of contact with new hires and a passing familiarity with their qualifications. In the last class, roughly half of the new AOs had law degrees. There were a few ISOs, without law degrees in the class, but all of them had advance degrees. In past classes there have been former ISOs who only had a bachelor's degree, but to be honest, the competition is fierce.   
User24  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 08, 2013 6:13:24 AM(UTC)

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/20/2011(UTC)
Posts: 87

Yes, it does seem very competitive. The location I have put in for numerous times is the Los Angeles Office located in Anaheim. It appears to be a very interesting job. I'm sure the level of fraud is towering in comparisson to the caseload i'm currently assigned. In any case, I greatly appreciate your honesty and the information you've shared. I'll put in for the Anaheim Office again, if they have openings. However, this time I know not to hold my breathe.
Stephanie  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 09, 2013 7:24:41 AM(UTC)
Chaitea

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/3/2013(UTC)
Posts: 3

That's great news, majun! I graduated from law school last year and have a year of immigration/asylum experience.

I would love to be an asylum officer, and am planning to apply broadly to any openings. My question is about my resume: is there a specific way it needs to be tailored for fed jobs (and asylum/refugee in particular). Ive been reading about a "federal resume", and am not sure what that means. I'm new to this process and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

And maybe I'm over thinking this :)
majun  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 09, 2013 9:48:30 AM(UTC)
majun

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/11/2012(UTC)
Posts: 195

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Chaitea wrote:
That's great news, majun! I graduated from law school last year and have a year of immigration/asylum experience.

I would love to be an asylum officer, and am planning to apply broadly to any openings. My question is about my resume: is there a specific way it needs to be tailored for fed jobs (and asylum/refugee in particular). Ive been reading about a "federal resume", and am not sure what that means. I'm new to this process and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

And maybe I'm over thinking this :)


There is another thread on here titled Asylum Officer Qualifications. You should read through that thread and pay attention to the last post by the person who started the thread. That was after she got hired as an asylum officer, just a little more than a year ago, and she explains what she had been doing wrong in the preceding years that she was applying. With special attention to her resume problems.

In the space of year she went from being referred on a 9 list, with no interview or selection, to being snapped up by the same office at a 12.

There are going to be a lot of openings in the coming months. multiple openings in most of the offices, except probably Miami. These are all new positions as applications have been spiking over the past year or so and backlogs are developing.

If you have any questions you can message me.majun2013-05-09 17:59:33
Stephanie  
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2013 6:21:29 AM(UTC)
Chaitea

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/3/2013(UTC)
Posts: 3

Thanks for your response, it was very helpful! I got the book the other poster mentioned and am realizing I have a lot of work to do on my resume. Here's hoping it pays off.

I'm sure I'll have other questions as the process goes along. Thanks again for your help.
majun  
#9 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2013 8:40:21 AM(UTC)
majun

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/11/2012(UTC)
Posts: 195

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Chaitea wrote:
Thanks for your response, it was very helpful! I got the book the other poster mentioned and am realizing I have a lot of work to do on my resume. Here's hoping it pays off.

I'm sure I'll have other questions as the process goes along. Thanks again for your help.


Nema problema

Glad I could help. If you don't make it with the SF announcement, don't lose heart. The other offices will be announcing new positions in the coming months, just as soon as they can find space to put the new hires. There will be a lot more openings coming up nationwide.majun2013-05-19 16:47:17
majun  
#10 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2013 11:07:04 PM(UTC)
majun

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/11/2012(UTC)
Posts: 195

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 36 post(s)
As I said, there would be more openings in other offices. Chicago Asylum office just put out an announcement for 7 openings.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/343052400

marysol  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 29, 2013 11:37:46 AM(UTC)

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/29/2013(UTC)
Posts: 5

Hello, everyone. Thanks for the great info about asylum officer positions. I've read all the related threads and they have been really helpful. I was wondering if anyone has any insight or thoughts about the most recent wave of asylum postings. As mentioned above, there were open postings for both SF and Chicago. Now there are federal-employees-only postings for SF and Chicago and DHS-employees-only postings for Miami and Arlington. I applied to the public postings for SF and Chicago, so I'm just wondering if I should be discouraged by the internal postings being up now. I'm also wondering if there's any reason to think there will be open postings for Miami and Arlington. Thanks for any insight into the process!
Mike in VT  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, May 29, 2013 9:25:37 PM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/26/2009(UTC)
Posts: 1,116

Thanks: 14 times
Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 59 post(s)
To any current RAIO officers or those who would know the answer,

Are there any adjudicative positions within USCIS that you can think of that would give an applicant a chance at an Asylum Officer position (w/o a law degree)?
majun  
#13 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2013 4:04:39 AM(UTC)
majun

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/11/2012(UTC)
Posts: 195

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 36 post(s)
marysol wrote:
Hello, everyone. Thanks for the great info about asylum officer positions. I've read all the related threads and they have been really helpful. I was wondering if anyone has any insight or thoughts about the most recent wave of asylum postings. As mentioned above, there were open postings for both SF and Chicago. Now there are federal-employees-only postings for SF and Chicago and DHS-employees-only postings for Miami and Arlington. I applied to the public postings for SF and Chicago, so I'm just wondering if I should be discouraged by the internal postings being up now. I'm also wondering if there's any reason to think there will be open postings for Miami and Arlington. Thanks for any insight into the process!


All the offices will be taking on new asylum officers between now and the end of FY 2013, or at least they are hoping to get them all on board by then. There will be multiple openings in all the offices. SF and Chicago were the first to post and those announcements have closed, although they have internal announcements that are still active. I don't know why Arlington and Miami posted the internal openings first but they should have public job opening announcements soon. Houston and Anaheim will probably be the last offices to advertise since they have the most openings and have to find space to put the new hires before they can initiate the hiring. Just keep checking USAJobs. The announcements will come.majun2013-05-30 12:11:06
majun  
#14 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2013 4:15:24 AM(UTC)
majun

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/11/2012(UTC)
Posts: 195

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Mike in VT wrote:
To any current RAIO officers or those who would know the answer,

Are there any adjudicative positions within USCIS that you can think of that would give an applicant a chance at an Asylum Officer position (w/o a law degree)?


There are former ISOs in every asylum officer training class (now actually RAIO Combined Training), just not a whole lot. It is very competitive with lots of practicing attorneys applying for each opening, but also non-attorneys with other typed of advanced degrees. A couple of years as an ISO at the GS9 - GS11 level should be enough to get you referred to a selecting official and after that it is up to the selecting official, usually the office director, with help from their deputy and maybe an SAO or two. What will work getting you an interview and selected will be slightly different for each office, some favor ISOs more than others. Some favor attorneys more than others. All I can advise is to be the best adjudicator you can be and have a good reason why you want to be an asylum officer if you get an interview.
Fed  
#15 Posted : Saturday, June 01, 2013 9:42:17 PM(UTC)
jazo82

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/22/2011(UTC)
Posts: 24

Greetings,

I was just offered an Asylum Officer position I Houston, TX. While I am excited about it, I am a bit sad because I would need to be relocating from Northern VA to Houston ,TX along with my wife and my 3 year old son leaving my parents behind.   However my initial short term plan is to go there for 1 year and check whether I could do a transfer back to VA or somewhere in DC.. Can anyone in Houston give me any helpful info about where to live that would be close to USCIS in a nice location? Also, does anyone know if it is possible to do a transfer to another State after working 1year as Asylum Officer? Do Asylum Officers travel overseas to adjudicate cases or is it mainly domestically. It seems to me that this is a prominent position with USCIS that could get me eventually to work overseas which is my long term goal (5-10 years). Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike in VT  
#16 Posted : Sunday, June 02, 2013 9:25:43 PM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/26/2009(UTC)
Posts: 1,116

Thanks: 14 times
Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 59 post(s)
jazo82 wrote:
Greetings,

I was just offered an Asylum Officer position I Houston, TX. While I am excited about it, I am a bit sad because I would need to be relocating from Northern VA to Houston ,TX along with my wife and my 3 year old son leaving my parents behind.   However my initial short term plan is to go there for 1 year and check whether I could do a transfer back to VA or somewhere in DC.. Can anyone in Houston give me any helpful info about where to live that would be close to USCIS in a nice location? Also, does anyone know if it is possible to do a transfer to another State after working 1year as Asylum Officer? Do Asylum Officers travel overseas to adjudicate cases or is it mainly domestically. It seems to me that this is a prominent position with USCIS that could get me eventually to work overseas which is my long term goal (5-10 years). Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,


This question was already posted in the other discussion thread. No need to post it in multiple places. If you take the Houston job, best of luck to you. :)
Ptapan  
#17 Posted : Monday, June 03, 2013 2:28:59 AM(UTC)
Ptapan

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/30/2013(UTC)
Posts: 80

Thanks: 3 times
Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hey Jazo82,

What is your background, if you don't mind me asking? ie. educational & work background...

Thanks
majun  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, June 04, 2013 12:34:05 AM(UTC)
majun

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/11/2012(UTC)
Posts: 195

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Openings for 8 positions in Miami and 19 positions in Anaheim are out now:

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/344119500

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/344352400

Good luck to all who apply
Anonymous  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, June 05, 2013 4:21:54 AM(UTC)
SFellie

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/24/2013(UTC)
Posts: 4

Do you have an idea of the hiring timeline, i.e., when applicants selected for interviews will be contacted, when interviews will take place, etc.? Or will this depend on the individual office?

I hear that the USAJOBS application status is not always updated, so I'm not sure if I can rely on it. For the SF office application, my status is still "resume received" and I'm not sure if it's being reviewed yet or not. Sorry if this is a silly question, I'm new to this process...thanks!
majun  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, June 05, 2013 12:02:12 PM(UTC)
majun

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/11/2012(UTC)
Posts: 195

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 36 post(s)
SFellie wrote:
Do you have an idea of the hiring timeline, i.e., when applicants selected for interviews will be contacted, when interviews will take place, etc.? Or will this depend on the individual office?

I hear that the USAJOBS application status is not always updated, so I'm not sure if I can rely on it. For the SF office application, my status is still "resume received" and I'm not sure if it's being reviewed yet or not. Sorry if this is a silly question, I'm new to this process...thanks!


A training class is due to start this month. The next training class will probably be sometime in October, so most of the office directors aree going to be looking to have people on board sometime in September.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest (2)
26 Pages123>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.


This page was generated in 1.705 seconds.