Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

50 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ptapan  
#21 Posted : Friday, June 7, 2013 3:00:27 AM(UTC)
Ptapan

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi there,

I just got the following rating for the Chicago Asylum Officer position:

001     PJN Asylum Officer      09      EL
        001     PJN Asylum Officer      11      EL
        001     PJN Asylum Officer      12      EL

I have no idea whether those ELs mean qualified, highly qualified or best qualified. Does any of you have any better idea?

Also, I did not get a number rating like some of the other guys said they did, ie. 99, 95, etc. Did CIS switch from that rating system?

Thanks in advance.
Ptapan
Mike in VT  
#22 Posted : Friday, June 7, 2013 4:24:15 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 80 post(s)
EL=generic for eligible.

Yeah, I've noticed the lack of a numerical rating as well. Not sure what's up with that.

I guess the only way you can tell if you're best qualified is if you get moved to the next step.
Ptapan  
#23 Posted : Friday, June 7, 2013 11:38:15 AM(UTC)
Ptapan

Thanks for your input, Mike.
I will update ya when I find out.
Federal07  
#24 Posted : Saturday, June 8, 2013 12:08:12 PM(UTC)

Ptapan wrote:
Hi there,

I have no idea whether those ELs mean qualified, highly qualified or best qualified. Does any of you have any better idea?

Also, I did not get a number rating like some of the other guys said they did, ie. 99, 95, etc. Did CIS switch from that rating system?

Thanks in advance.
Ptapan

I received the same email. It just let you know you are eligible for the position.
J.A.  
#25 Posted : Sunday, June 9, 2013 3:07:49 AM(UTC)
Ash70

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Are you ready. This is what you all need to ask. There is great information on this site. People with vast experience who can give you insight on applying and the history and set up of the office and training. And it's all true ;) but please don't take this job cause the job market is tough and you need a paycheck and its federal so you receive great benefits....know someone who has the job now...learn what there day is like and imagine yourself in that position. Don't take this opportunity cause you think you will be saving asylum seekers who are lying or not but don't take this job theoretically. Trust me I am not talking anyone out of the job I am saying truly understand what your days will look like and get an honest point of view....if you have immigration experience or asylum work you understand my point.

You will have an office, highly likely no windows, likely 12x8 with your desk computer and printer and a host of chairs. You will be performing interviews 2 to 3 times a day of various lengths and writing and typing reports all day the key to success is productivity ...learning the law and talking about it is one thing but the job is all about productivity when your supervisor gives you your review...I am an AO and will take private messages if on point regarding factual inquires I do not want to opine.. and answer them fairly but I am sure there are more people reading this post who can also give insight to the core of the asylum corp...all I ask for any one applying dont be surprised know the job, find other AOs and ask ....I add this post cause many I have seen address everything but the job itself...good luck! It can be a great career it can be a surprise to many...know the job Ash702013-06-09 11:15:25
thanks 2 users thanked Ash70 for this useful post.
PineappleSmoothie on 2/15/2020(UTC), EagerBeaver on 5/20/2022(UTC)
majun  
#26 Posted : Sunday, June 9, 2013 3:47:58 AM(UTC)
majun

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 55 post(s)
Ash70 wrote:
Are you ready. This is what you all need to ask. There is great information on this site. People with vast experience who can give you insight on applying and the history and set up of the office and training. And it's all true ;) but please don't take this job cause the job market is tough and you need a paycheck and its federal so you receive great benefits....know someone who has the job now...learn what there day is like and imagine yourself in that position. Don't take this opportunity cause you think you will be saving asylum seekers who are lying or not but don't take this job theoretically. Trust me I am not talking anyone out of the job I am saying truly understand what your days will look like and get an honest point of view....if you have immigration experience or asylum work you understand my point.

You will have an office, highly likely no windows, likely 12x8 with your desk computer and printer and a host of chairs. You will be performing interviews 2 to 3 times a day of various lengths and writing and typing reports all day the key to success is productivity ...learning the law and talking about it is one thing but the job is all about productivity when your supervisor gives you your review...I am an AO and will take private messages if on point regarding factual inquires I do not want to opine.. and answer them fairly but I am sure there are more people reading this post who can also give insight to the core of the asylum corp...all I ask for any one applying dont be surprised know the job, find other AOs and ask ....I add this post cause many I have seen address everything but the job itself...good luck! It can be a great career it can be a surprise to many...know the job

Thank you - it needed saying. If this is what you truly want to do, you will love your job and it can be a career for life. If you are applying because it is a job and looks interesting chances are you will be completely burned out within two years and probably earlier.
Ptapan  
#27 Posted : Sunday, June 9, 2013 4:12:26 AM(UTC)
Ptapan

Ash70 wrote:

You will have an office, highly likely no windows, likely 12x8 with your desk computer and printer and a host of chairs. You will be performing interviews 2 to 3 times a day of various lengths and writing and typing reports all day the key to success is productivity ...learning the law and talking about it is one thing but the job is all about productivity when your supervisor gives you your review...I am an AO and will take private messages if on point regarding factual inquires I do not want to opine.. and answer them fairly but I am sure there are more people reading this post who can also give insight to the core of the asylum corp...all I ask for any one applying dont be surprised know the job, find other AOs and ask ....I add this post cause many I have seen address everything but the job itself...good luck! It can be a great career it can be a surprise to many...know the job

Great point, Ash70~!
Your comments provided me an opportunity to reconsider introspect of why I am pursuing this job and came to the conclusion that that is exactly what I want to do for my career... What more could you want?....really... Maybe I am not that greedy...hehe
I really want this job~!!!
God help me~!!!
Jewe;  
#28 Posted : Sunday, June 9, 2013 10:27:46 AM(UTC)
strangerinma

I got the same email with the Eligibility rating for the Chicago office, but the email also says that I will be getting a subsequent email, only if my name is referred to the selecting officials for further processing since many people are applied and only a few will be referred and hired. Otherwise, this is the first & last email to me from them, until the positions are filled and then I will be receiving another email informing me that the position (s) has/have been filled, and I am not selected.

Based on the same type of emails for last month or so from the other jobs that I applied with the USCIS, I have noticed the subsequent email (referral email) to arrive in my Inbox within an hour, or never. There was just one case where I got the referral email on the next day. Possibly, this email is the end for me regarding this AO job!
Christine  
#29 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2013 9:39:44 AM(UTC)
ChristineK87

Federal07 wrote:
Ptapan wrote:
Hi there,

Thanks in advance.
Ptapan

I received the same email. It just let you know you are eligible for the position.

I also received this same email. I read in another forum that qualified applicants are split into two piles- highly qualified and eligible. Obviously it would be better if we were in the highly qualified pile since USCIS has to go through those and the vets to get to ours, but fingers crossed!
Michael  
#30 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2013 10:05:09 AM(UTC)
MP1980

What a great post and truly makes you slow down and ask yourself is this how you wish to spend 8-10 hours a day. I am an AO and this is the first post I ever wanted to reply too..listen to this post I have seen people quit, burn out and simply be stuck in something they didn't plan on doing. Let alone expect to be doing....fortunately the Feds promote and you will one day feel less clerical...( a year or two or three) but truly be prepared it can be great or it can be a nightmare for some living in a square hearing some seriously difficult life stories,,,and typing reports all day long...know the job
NavyATFP  
#31 Posted : Thursday, June 13, 2013 12:54:11 AM(UTC)

Ive begun applying for the AO positions starting with the ones recently here in DC area. Im a current paralegal with a DHS component agency/GS9 and a disabled vet(medically shown the door in 2012) with a military police/investigations background.   Im just wondering what the chances are when im already at the same grade and and have the veterans preference to actually get an interview? I have a very real interest in this job as I miss being an investigator.
ForzaMilan  
#32 Posted : Thursday, June 13, 2013 1:03:16 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
MA is not real police, just saying :P I kid of course.

I don't know about the odds, honestly, they seem to get a lot of applications from people with law background. Just play up the fact that you have dealt with people form different backgrounds, maybe interviewed some, that you've been overseas etc. Actually just reach out to any AOs you might know from your job now and network.
majun  
#33 Posted : Thursday, June 13, 2013 1:48:42 AM(UTC)
majun

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 55 post(s)
NavyATFP wrote:
Ive begun applying for the AO positions starting with the ones recently here in DC area. Im a current paralegal with a DHS component agency/GS9 and a disabled vet(medically shown the door in 2012) with a military police/investigations background.   Im just wondering what the chances are when im already at the same grade and and have the veterans preference to actually get an interview? I have a very real interest in this job as I miss being an investigator.

I think you should make an attempt to talk to somebody who is currently working as an AO. AOs walk a fine line between their duties as law enforcement officers and their duties as protection officers. Those who come to the job with a desire to help refugees usually find the most job satisfaction with the position. Most people coming to it from a law enforcement background find themselves too far over that line most of the time and they experience a lot of frustration. That being said, I've known a few people coming from enforcement careers who have enjoyed the position and been outstanding officers. But they are clearly the exception. You can PM me if you want to discuss this in more detail.
NavyATFP  
#34 Posted : Thursday, June 13, 2013 1:50:27 AM(UTC)

ForzaMilan wrote:
MA is not real police, just saying :P I kid of course.

I don't know about the odds, honestly, they seem to get a lot of applications from people with law background. Just play up the fact that you have dealt with people form different backgrounds, maybe interviewed some, that you've been overseas etc. Actually just reach out to any AOs you might know from your job now and network.

I'll agree for the most part MA isnt really police but then again i also didnt get injured sitting on a base in the states. ;)

I havent met any AO's actually I just see their investigative notes alot as I do legal/FOIA/PA research so see alot from USCIS/ICE/CBP investigators of all types and the AO job just has really stuck my interest. I generally get referred for most postions I apply to but have only ever gotten 3 interviews for federal work(in an 8 month time span once i was out of the service) one of which is the job i currently hold.
NavyATFP  
#35 Posted : Thursday, June 13, 2013 1:52:28 AM(UTC)

majun wrote:

I think you should make an attempt to talk to somebody who is currently working as an AO. AOs walk a fine line between their duties as law enforcement officers and their duties as protection officers. Those who come to the job with a desire to help refugees usually find the most job satisfaction with the position. Most people coming to it from a law enforcement background find themselves too far over that line most of the time and they experience a lot of frustration. That being said, I've known a few people coming from enforcement careers who have enjoyed the position and been outstanding officers. But they are clearly the exception. You can PM me if you want to discuss this in more detail.

Thamk you and I may pick your brain a bit.   I actually want to help as i love investigative work and legal research. I appreciate the offer and will most assuradly be sending some questions your way about the job.
Amanda Warner  
#36 Posted : Thursday, June 13, 2013 10:37:31 PM(UTC)
fedhopful

which thread or threads discussed this question?
Lucette  
#37 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2013 11:08:58 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I am an AO, I absolutely love my job, and I am happy to answer questions via PM.

FWIW :)Lucette2013-06-14 19:14:29
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
PineappleSmoothie on 2/15/2020(UTC)
Amanda Warner  
#38 Posted : Friday, June 21, 2013 2:26:03 AM(UTC)
fedhopful

I just received a Notice of Results for the Miami Opening. That was pretty quick. I didnt receive a referral though. Although, I never received a referral for the January postings, but I still got an interview so you never know. Has anyone heard anything from the Miami posting?
Ptapan  
#39 Posted : Friday, June 21, 2013 2:45:11 AM(UTC)
Ptapan

fedhopful wrote:
I just received a Notice of Results for the Miami Opening. That was pretty quick. I didnt receive a referral though. Although, I never received a referral for the January postings, but I still got an interview so you never know. Has anyone heard anything from the Miami posting?

Hi. I got the same NOR too.

Seriously, you got an interview without getting referred?
When did they call you for interview for the Jan posting?
Amanda Warner  
#40 Posted : Friday, June 21, 2013 3:00:53 AM(UTC)
fedhopful

Yes, my notice of results were EL, but I never got any referral notices, so I took my mind off it and applied to the Miami opening. Then out of the blue about 3 weeks ago, I got an email asking for an interview. I haven't gotten the results of the interview yet.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed