Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

50 Pages«<4546474849>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CalKent  
#921 Posted : Monday, October 5, 2020 8:56:56 PM(UTC)
CalKent

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Ah geez, seeing a new reply on here finally gave me hope something was moving finally, lol.
Bros1980  
#922 Posted : Tuesday, October 6, 2020 7:21:10 AM(UTC)
Bros1980

1. Does someone have a better chance of becoming an aslyum officer if they are already an isa with cis and have a 4 year degree?

2. What do you know about the houston asylum office? Hard to get that location? Any info would be appreciated.thanks in advance.
Valen203  
#923 Posted : Tuesday, December 8, 2020 6:00:46 AM(UTC)
Valen203

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I am waiting for an EOD to join the Arlington office as an Asylum Officer. The hiring freeze is slated to lift at the end of this month and I am nervously optimistic that the new year may finally bring my EOD (after a year and a half of waiting since getting the tentative offer). Any word on whether or not onboarding may begin again in January?
CalKent  
#924 Posted : Tuesday, December 8, 2020 6:50:17 AM(UTC)
CalKent

United States

Where did you hear the the freeze was going to lift?
Valen203  
#925 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2021 2:35:47 PM(UTC)
Valen203

United States

Originally Posted by: CalKent Go to Quoted Post

HR. Sadly, I was recently informed that the hiring freeze is being pushed to end of March. I don't know why I dared to hope changes could come even before the inauguration.
CalKent  
#926 Posted : Friday, January 8, 2021 12:52:10 PM(UTC)
CalKent

United States

Originally Posted by: Valen203 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: CalKent Go to Quoted Post

HR. Sadly, I was recently informed that the hiring freeze is being pushed to end of March. I don't know why I dared to hope changes could come even before the inauguration.

I just spoke to HR myself for my semi-regular check-in. This guy heard it was going to be in place until the end of the fiscal year. =\
Valen203  
#927 Posted : Monday, April 26, 2021 11:07:45 AM(UTC)
Valen203

United States

Very sad to report that I just received a letter from USCIS rescinding my AO offer due to budgetary reasons. I passed every hurdle last spring and was waiting for an EOD when COVID hit. What a curveball. I really wasn't expecting this.
thanks 1 user thanked Valen203 for this useful post.
FedExp on 4/26/2021(UTC)
FedExp  
#928 Posted : Monday, April 26, 2021 12:14:50 PM(UTC)
FedExp

United States

Same! My offer was rescinded due to budget and I had already completed everything, just waiting for the onboard date since April of last year.
CalKent  
#929 Posted : Monday, April 26, 2021 2:54:20 PM(UTC)
CalKent

United States

Originally Posted by: FedExp Go to Quoted Post
Same! My offer was rescinded due to budget and I had already completed everything, just waiting for the onboard date since April of last year.

I'm very sorry to hear this for the both you. Unfortunate also, this seems pretty indicative that there definitely won't be openings anytime soon. =(
PSEtoPTF  
#930 Posted : Tuesday, April 27, 2021 4:33:16 AM(UTC)
PSEtoPTF

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 15 post(s)
We have been told that next month the people will be working on prioritizing the vacancies as there are many need to be filled. Also, people who got EODs before the freeze will be contacted first. Good news everybody :)
CalKent  
#931 Posted : Tuesday, April 27, 2021 9:14:12 AM(UTC)
CalKent

United States

Originally Posted by: PSEtoPTF Go to Quoted Post
We have been told that next month the people will be working on prioritizing the vacancies as there are many need to be filled. Also, people who got EODs before the freeze will be contacted first. Good news everybody :)

Did you just hear this from their HR/Hiring office?
Ziego  
#932 Posted : Tuesday, May 18, 2021 9:14:14 PM(UTC)
Ziego

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 13 post(s)
So we finally get an Asylum Officer posting again after a year and a half and it is apparently a specialized 12/13/14 training officer normally in HQ but instead being offered anywhere in the country.

I mean, that is certainly good news for a lot of people, but not GS-9s who have been planning to make the jump to Asylum Officer since early 2020! Hah. Good luck to anyone who can apply though.

Edited by user Tuesday, May 18, 2021 9:18:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

majun  
#933 Posted : Friday, May 21, 2021 6:50:08 PM(UTC)
majun

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 56 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ziego Go to Quoted Post
So we finally get an Asylum Officer posting again after a year and a half and it is apparently a specialized 12/13/14 training officer normally in HQ but instead being offered anywhere in the country.

I mean, that is certainly good news for a lot of people, but not GS-9s who have been planning to make the jump to Asylum Officer since early 2020! Hah. Good luck to anyone who can apply though.

Hate to rain on your parade, but the job is only open to internal agency applicants and career transitionals. The way the job requirements are drawn up if you don’t have at least a year of experience as an asylum officer at the GS 11 level you can’t qualify.

The fact that they are willing to let a candidate work remotely leads me to believe they already have someone in mind, who is unwilling to relocate. The hardest part of the job is the three weeks of residential training at FLETC in Brunswick, GA every quarter. For that you will have to travel four times a year.

If you get hired as an asylum officer, training officer is a nice career goal. Journeyman GS 14 level and no supervisory duties. You can’t get anything sweeter than that.
peteyboy123  
#934 Posted : Tuesday, May 25, 2021 2:25:18 PM(UTC)
peteyboy123

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Anybody apply to the recent Refugee Officer opening? Looks like something I would genuinely enjoy doing, but I have heard they're super competitive positions.
Also, can any RO/AOs give some insight on the day to day with this job and pick apart the differences between the two? And before anyone says it- Yes, I already read the job description thoroughly, I just want some personal opinions/descriptions.
thechildlikemprs  
#935 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2021 10:11:03 AM(UTC)
thechildlikemprs

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: peteyboy123 Go to Quoted Post
Anybody apply to the recent Refugee Officer opening? Looks like something I would genuinely enjoy doing, but I have heard they're super competitive positions.
Also, can any RO/AOs give some insight on the day to day with this job and pick apart the differences between the two? And before anyone says it- Yes, I already read the job description thoroughly, I just want some personal opinions/descriptions.

This response is regarding field ROs/AOs not HQ.

ROs are expected to travel very very frequently. During the last Refugee surge there were several back to back assignments. If you have a family, this can be extremely challenging. Even when refugee #s dropped, ROs traveled domestically to help with asylum cases, often to places AOs didn't want to go. AOs work primarily at one of the field offices and travel for circuit rides. The frequency and location depends on the office. Some don't do any circuit rides and some have very frequent circuit rides. (this is assuming COVID is not a factor)

Moving up within the Refugee Program means faster pay increases compared to Asylum. For example SROs are 14s but SAOs are only 13s. AOs and ROs are different series (930/1801) so pay attention to that if you would want a different government job.

ROs are usually younger and unattached for obvious reasons.

AOs are largely subject to the rules and culture of their office. Depending on the office, that is good or bad. ROs have their own work culture.
thanks 1 user thanked thechildlikemprs for this useful post.
peteyboy123 on 5/28/2021(UTC)
peteyboy123  
#936 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2021 12:02:21 PM(UTC)
peteyboy123

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: thechildlikemprs Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: peteyboy123 Go to Quoted Post

This response is regarding field ROs/AOs not HQ.

ROs are expected to travel very very frequently. During the last Refugee surge there were several back to back assignments. If you have a family, this can be extremely challenging. Even when refugee #s dropped, ROs traveled domestically to help with asylum cases, often to places AOs didn't want to go. AOs work primarily at one of the field offices and travel for circuit rides. The frequency and location depends on the office. Some don't do any circuit rides and some have very frequent circuit rides. (this is assuming COVID is not a factor)

Moving up within the Refugee Program means faster pay increases compared to Asylum. For example SROs are 14s but SAOs are only 13s. AOs and ROs are different series (930/1801) so pay attention to that if you would want a different government job.

ROs are usually younger and unattached for obvious reasons.

AOs are largely subject to the rules and culture of their office. Depending on the office, that is good or bad. ROs have their own work culture.

Awesome, thanks! Sounds like I could be a great fit! I would love engaging in that type of work. I just hope I am competitive enough- undergrad in Poly Sci and grad in CJ with a year in intelligence so we shall see (and mid twenties w/ no family)!
Bros1980  
#937 Posted : Saturday, May 29, 2021 3:24:26 AM(UTC)
Bros1980

What exactly does the job series have to do with anything?
majun  
#938 Posted : Saturday, May 29, 2021 3:53:04 PM(UTC)
majun

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 56 post(s)
https://www.buzzfeednews...-new-asylum-process-plan

If they manage to do this, they will have to start doing some serious hiring. According to a friend in the union, back around March there were about 800 AOs in the field with about a 6% vacancy rate. If they really want to tackle the asylum crisis at the border they are going to have to do some serious expanding and quickly. Probably will be term jobs, NTE 4 years. But that was how I was hired many years ago and that 4 year appointment turned into 25 years and retirement before I knew what hit me.
FERPY  
#939 Posted : Tuesday, June 15, 2021 8:36:53 AM(UTC)
FERPY

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Has anyone been referred or heard anything on the Refugee postings that recently closed? Anyone have any internal insights on how the process is moving along?
Washington Ave  
#940 Posted : Tuesday, June 15, 2021 9:23:23 AM(UTC)
Washington Ave

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FERPY Go to Quoted Post
Has anyone been referred or heard anything on the Refugee postings that recently closed? Anyone have any internal insights on how the process is moving along?

applied for the worldwide one, just says received so far. and yourself?

Moving to CN, and you can't stop me!!!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed