Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Just Cause  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 05, 2013 9:18:28 AM(UTC)
Just Cause

Groups: Registered

After reading a posting from someone with over 29 years in the carrier craft, I will try again with this detailed to T-6 assignment. For the last time, you may not opt on a temporary Carrier Technician (T-6) assignment.

JCAM 2009 page 41-12:
Temporarily Vacant Carrier Technician Assignments. Temporarily
vacant Carrier Technician assignments are not filled under the opting
provisions of Article 41.2.B.3 & 41.2.B.4. Rather, they are higher level
assignments filled under the provisions of Article 25. (Step 4, H8N-3PC
25550, May 6, 1981, M-0276)

Article 25.4
Carrier Technician Positions. Temporarily vacant Carrier Technician
positions are higher level assignments and thus are not subject to opting
under the provision of Article 41.2.B.
allworknoplay  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 05, 2013 9:57:38 AM(UTC)
allworknoplay

You may not officially opt on it but management can assign you to a t6 position. This is the case for me. I rather do a set of different routes everyday than get stuck with one. The plus is that you don't have to care as much and whatever you don't want to do, you can just bring it back for the reg.
TEeteringOnCrazy  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 06, 2013 11:21:32 AM(UTC)
TEeteringOnCrazy

how does one go about getting assigned to a t6 position..

We have 4 vacant (5 day) floating units in our station. 3 of them have been vacant for more than 3 years, one of them just became vacant. I know I can't opt.. but do I put in a formal request to be assigned to a unit as a CCA Tech? or is it just a thing the district has to decide to do?

I feel it is a glaring error to create such a position with no intent to fill it. Especially when there are capable, qualified carriers in the immediate area.
I could carry a route in your station.. Do you think you could carry one in mine?
ashulein  
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 06, 2013 11:44:42 AM(UTC)
ashulein

At least in my installation, they are currently refusing to assign anyone to a T6 position. Because we were originally told it was possible some folks asked to be assigned and in doing so passed up possible indefinite opts. Now, in some situations, they are stuck since the vacant routes are being filled by those with significantly less relative standing. More time in but less actual security. It is being grieved.

Is this happening anywhere else?
DoItTheRightWay  
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 06, 2013 9:27:57 PM(UTC)
DoItTheRightWay

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
M-01035 Pre-arb
February 24, 1992, H7N-5R-C-32010
The issue in this grievance is whether management must
fill a T-6 assignment which is vacant for five days for more.
During our discussion, we mutually agreed that management
may not refuse to fill a T-6 assignment which is vacant
for five days or more, in order to reserve that assignment
for other purposes such as pivoting.
5.FederalSoup.com assumes no liability for the accuracy or reliability of any information posted on this Web site. The information is not checked, verified, or edited, and is used at your own risk.
Just Cause  
#6 Posted : Saturday, July 06, 2013 10:07:12 PM(UTC)
Just Cause

I have a discussion with the supervisor. Our district is allowing CCA with the proper qualifications to request a temporary T-6 assignment. (NOT OPTING) I asked for any written MOU and haven’t seen one yet. I believe it when I see one. If your district allows it then put it in a written request and have the supervisor and steward sign/date it. Keep a copy.

Let’s look at the requirement of Carrier Technician:

M-00425 Step 4 November 30, 1977, NC-W-5281
The Qualifications Standards for the position of Carrier Technician require at least two (2) years of Postal experience of which at least one year must have been in the performance of city carrier duties. However, successful completion of a 4 year high school curriculum may be substituted for on (1) year of the required experience, but not for the one (1) year of experience as city carrier. If the experience requirements are posing and (sic) insurmountable problem in filling needed T-6 positions, the Postmaster may request waiver of the requirement.

under the provision of Article 41.2.B. Rather, temporarily vacant
Carrier Technician positions must be filled in accordance with this section
(see Step 4 Settlement, H8N-3P-25550, May 6, 1981 M-00276).
National Arbitrator Snow held in H7N-5R-C-316, September 10, 1990
(C-10254), that management may not assign different employees on an
“as needed” basis to carry a route on a Carrier Technician string when
a vacancy of five or more days is involved; instead such vacancies
must be filled according to Article 25. Note that most settlements and
memorandums that referred to “T-6” positions also to apply to “Carrier
Technician” positions.

The most importantly in this Step 4 is that temporarily vacant Carrier Technician position must be filled.

If those of you with the qualifications like to apply for this position and your supervisor denied it, then have your steward file a grievance.

Item 15 on the PS 8190:
Did Management violate the National Agreement, including but not limited to Article 3, 5, 25, and 19 via (Step 4, M-01035 and H8N-3P-25550, May 6, 1981 M-00276)? If so, what is the appropriate remedy?

Article 25 does not apply to CCA, but vacant T-6 must be filled. Q&A for CCA says management can assign CCA to T-6 assignment with a PS 50.Just Cause2013-07-07 06:27:03
TEeteringOnCrazy  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 07, 2013 3:59:18 AM(UTC)
TEeteringOnCrazy

thanks for the info in black and white.

We have been denied CCA Tech positions in our office twice now with a few vacant t-6 units.

We were told that we could hold down the unit, just not as an official CCA tech position, they would just let us fill the unit. We told them to go ***** themselves.. (in not so many words)

This comes from our post master, not just a supervisor that is holding out.

I could carry a route in your station.. Do you think you could carry one in mine?
ccakingdaddy  
#8 Posted : Sunday, July 07, 2013 4:41:02 AM(UTC)
ccakingdaddy

Just Cause wrote:
I have a discussion with the supervisor. Our district is allowing CCA with the proper qualifications to request a temporary T-6 assignment. (NOT OPTING) I asked for any written MOU and haven’t seen one yet. I believe it when I see one. If your district allows it then put it in a written request and have the supervisor and steward sign/date it. Keep a copy.

Let’s look at the requirement of Carrier Technician:

M-00425 Step 4 November 30, 1977, NC-W-5281
The Qualifications Standards for the position of Carrier Technician require at least two (2) years of Postal experience of which at least one year must have been in the performance of city carrier duties. However, successful completion of a 4 year high school curriculum may be substituted for on (1) year of the required experience, but not for the one (1) year of experience as city carrier. If the experience requirements are posing and (sic) insurmountable problem in filling needed T-6 positions, the Postmaster may request waiver of the requirement.

under the provision of Article 41.2.B. Rather, temporarily vacant
Carrier Technician positions must be filled in accordance with this section
(see Step 4 Settlement, H8N-3P-25550, May 6, 1981 M-00276).
National Arbitrator Snow held in H7N-5R-C-316, September 10, 1990
(C-10254), that management may not assign different employees on an
“as needed” basis to carry a route on a Carrier Technician string when
a vacancy of five or more days is involved; instead such vacancies
must be filled according to Article 25. Note that most settlements and
memorandums that referred to “T-6” positions also to apply to “Carrier
Technician” positions.

The most importantly in this Step 4 is that temporarily vacant Carrier Technician position must be filled.

If those of you with the qualifications like to apply for this position and your supervisor denied it, then have your steward file a grievance.

Item 15 on the PS 8190:
Did Management violate the National Agreement, including but not limited to Article 3, 5, 25, and 19 via (Step 4, M-01035 and H8N-3P-25550, May 6, 1981 M-00276)? If so, what is the appropriate remedy?

Article 25 does not apply to CCA, but vacant T-6 must be filled. Q&A for CCA says management can assign CCA to T-6 assignment with a PS 50.

Just,

That's just it brother, Both cca's in my office holding down the t-6 strings do not have their form 50 updating it.
Just Cause  
#9 Posted : Sunday, July 07, 2013 4:45:17 AM(UTC)
Just Cause

ccakingdaddy wrote:

Just,

That's just it brother, Both cca's in my office holding down the t-6 strings do not have their form 50 updating it.

Your steward should have grieve it.

Again! It is not a "hold down". They were "assigned" to the T-6 assignments.
ccakingdaddy  
#10 Posted : Sunday, July 07, 2013 4:52:57 AM(UTC)
ccakingdaddy

actually, they opted on it.

the shop steward is not informing the sups, about the opting contract, and I do not blame him.

the bad thing is they are not receiving the higher pay rate.

kind of good knid of bad I guess, the sups still have not learned about the 60 day rule.

The steward in my office is awesome, asked me to give a little 2 min speech at the next union meeting to tell some of the newer cca's about how good our office is compared to some of the others that I have worked.
I told him no problem at all with that
TEeteringOnCrazy  
#11 Posted : Sunday, July 07, 2013 4:59:58 AM(UTC)
TEeteringOnCrazy

ccakingdaddy wrote:

the shop steward is not informing the sups, about the opting contract, and I do not blame him.

kind of good knid of bad I guess, the sups still have not learned about the 60 day rule.

how is it good if they're doing the work of a higher paid position?

What happens if the ODL regular is called in and bumps them off their string and another (more senior) CCA is holding down a 5-day vacancy (due to vacation) within the t-6 string? Who has the right to the route that day?

Rocky Road  
#12 Posted : Sunday, July 07, 2013 5:00:14 AM(UTC)
Rocky Road

ccakingdaddy wrote:

The steward in my office is awesome, asked me to give a little 2 min speech at the next union meeting to tell some of the newer cca's about how good our office is compared to some of the others that I have worked.

Now you're the steward's best buddy? You morph by the hour!
You sure are smarter than your supervisor! He doesn't know how to screw "The King!"
Now you're giving speeches at union meetings!!!!

Does anyone believe this guy?
ccakingdaddy  
#13 Posted : Sunday, July 07, 2013 5:04:31 AM(UTC)
ccakingdaddy

TEeteringOnCrazy wrote:
ccakingdaddy wrote:

What happens if the ODL regular is called in and bumps them off their string and another (more senior) CCA is holding down a 5-day vacancy (due to vacation) within the t-6 string? Who has the right to the route that day?

Teetering,

These are vacant t-6 strings, the branch president asked all the cca's at the last meeting at different offices.
the ones assigned are being played with especially with starting times.
the ones that have dumb sups, are playing the opting rules, and the sups do not know any better.

so, in my office they are sacrificing a little pay for the start time.

make sense?
if not im me
Rocky Road  
#14 Posted : Sunday, July 07, 2013 5:07:56 AM(UTC)
Rocky Road

How ironic is it that "The Self-Professed KING of The Cca's" declared defeat on the "I Do Not Comprehend" thread.

Remember this, people: Ccakingdady never represented a fellow carrier. He is not active in the union. In fact, he attacks it. (His latest ploy is claim otherwise, but that horse left the barn months ago. WE ALL know how to read).
The vast majority of his posts only concern issues that affect him personally. Look at the posts.
And he has a very thin skin. He will viciously attack anyone that dares correct him.
He claims to be all-knowing, but he does not even have 10=years on the clock and is not a Labor Movement ACTIVIST.
And those are the people you should be seeking advice from. ACTIVISTS. Because they care. They live to defend. CcaKINGdaddy lives to cry, whine and attack.
I dare anyone to say otherwise. Rocky Road2013-07-07 13:20:17
Just Cause  
#15 Posted : Sunday, July 07, 2013 5:17:01 AM(UTC)
Just Cause

ccakingdaddy wrote:

It is great to get involve within your office and help out your steward. I applaud you.

Just Cause  
#16 Posted : Sunday, July 07, 2013 5:19:38 AM(UTC)
Just Cause

TEeteringOnCrazy wrote:

It depends on the LMOU.
Just Cause  
#17 Posted : Sunday, July 07, 2013 5:21:18 AM(UTC)
Just Cause

ccakingdaddy wrote:
These are vacant t-6 strings, the branch president asked all the cca's at the last meeting at different offices.
the ones that have dumb sups, are playing the opting rules, and the sups do not know any better.

make sense?
if not im me

That should have been grieve for the starting time.
TEeteringOnCrazy  
#18 Posted : Sunday, July 07, 2013 5:21:37 AM(UTC)
TEeteringOnCrazy

ccakingdaddy wrote:
TEeteringOnCrazy wrote:
ccakingdaddy wrote:

Teetering,

make sense?
if not im me

I've already sacrificed a lot of pay.
If they're gonna allow me to hold down a t-6 string, they're going to have to pay me as a CCA Tech. if not, I will opt on one of the other 5 vacant routes during the prime time vacation schedule.

Does management allow the CCAs on the t-6 string to start at the appropriate time for the route?
cardboardbox  
#19 Posted : Sunday, July 07, 2013 5:26:58 AM(UTC)
cardboardbox

Same reason I don't 'opt' on T-6 strings Teetring. (Before anyone jumps down my throat I know we cant, get can ask to be assigned to the string though). My supervisor says theyll let me cover strings. Other regulars ask me why I don't. Simple, I'm not going to volunteer for a higher level assignment and not get paid appropriate for it. Until I see a Form 50 with the higher CCA Tech pay in my eOPF, just vacation opts for me.
Rocky Road  
#20 Posted : Sunday, July 07, 2013 5:29:32 AM(UTC)
Rocky Road

Just Cause wrote:
TEeteringOnCrazy wrote:

It depends on the LMOU.

WHAT? THE REGULAR DOES. Stop posting bad advice, cca's.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed