Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

4 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
me  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 29, 2013 10:10:53 PM(UTC)
itsmeirs

Groups: Registered

Good Morning all. Has anyone heard anything about the 3 nationwide listings for ITAS postion. Two were internal 5/7/9 and one was external GS5. This postion was posted earlier this year and was cancelled. I am pretty sure one of the announcements will be cancelled this time also. I hope I at least get an interview.
snowwhite2  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2013 8:17:47 AM(UTC)

I know someone who applied to the bilingual announcement and took the bilingual assessment. I also know someone who applied to the regular ITAS announcement, and he said he received his BQ email. So it sounds like they are slowly moving forward.
dmellow  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2013 12:31:12 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Is a BQ e-mail?
snowwhite2  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2013 4:43:04 AM(UTC)

A BQ notification is a notification that you made the list of Best Qualified applicants for the announcement. Usually they tell you this via email.
dmellow  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2013 8:53:13 AM(UTC)

I had applied for the external position which was only open for a week 8/28-9/3 13CW2-WIX0069-0501-5-MJ. I got a notice of rating e-mail on 9/4 that I was a category A(superior) and that category will have first consideration. It said I would get another e-mail telling me the next step in the application process.

I haven't heard anything else at this point. They probably get more applicants for the external positions. Obviously, with this shut down any hiring gets pushed back.
oldschoolguy  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 10, 2013 3:19:42 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Yours:
dmellow wrote:
I had applied for the external position which was only open for a week 8/28-9/3 13CW2-WIX0069-0501-5-MJ. I got a notice of rating e-mail on 9/4 that I was a category A(superior) and that category will have first consideration. It said I would get another e-mail telling me the next step in the application process.

I haven't heard anything else at this point. They probably get more applicants for the external positions. Obviously, with this shut down any hiring gets pushed back.

Mine:
Congratulations!

"Superior" can sometimes indicate one of two things according to the IRM.

1. You either have a special skill set, which allows the hiring official to do the appointment despite the hiring freeze

2. Special (emergency) funding was requested and approved for the appointment
spence  
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 10, 2013 7:29:18 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 35 post(s)
You get a Best Qualified notification email if you applied internally and made the list. Applicants on internal announcements are considered first.

Applicants on external announcements do not get a Best Qualified notification email. They get an email letting them know their category - A, B, or C.

I don't think the "Superior" in Category A refers to what oldschoolguy is talking about. "Superior" in this context is just another name for Category A, which is the first category considered from the external announcement, after Best Qualified applicants on the internal announcement have been considered first.spence2013-10-11 03:35:26
dmellow  
#8 Posted : Friday, October 11, 2013 12:47:05 AM(UTC)

For some reason, they only offered this position in my area as an external announcement. It may be because it is a seasonal position and they probably would not be able to get enough internal applicants. Hopefully with me already being a CSR, they will take that into consideration. I'm thinking I would have to take a lower grade but be able to get close to my current salary.

Since I'm already seasonal, I don't know that the season would be that different. I would have a much greater chance of becoming permanent sooner since the staff is small and are pretty much permanent. I like the idea of being mostly face to face and developing new skills. Hopefully, I will get a chance to talk to them about it and the position not get cancelled!dmellow2013-10-11 08:54:49
spence  
#9 Posted : Friday, October 11, 2013 11:25:27 AM(UTC)

They have to post internally, so you might have just overlooked it, or it was posted at a time you weren't searching on USAJobs. There was a nationwide internal announcement that included a number of locations. Anyway, good luck!
Randy  
#10 Posted : Friday, October 11, 2013 1:49:22 PM(UTC)
BoardReader1234

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
dmellow wrote:
For some reason, they only offered this position in my area as an external announcement. It may be because it is a seasonal position and they probably would not be able to get enough internal applicants. Hopefully with me already being a CSR, they will take that into consideration. I'm thinking I would have to take a lower grade but be able to get close to my current salary.

Since I'm already seasonal, I don't know that the season would be that different. I would have a much greater chance of becoming permanent sooner since the staff is small and are pretty much permanent. I like the idea of being mostly face to face and developing new skills. Hopefully, I will get a chance to talk to them about it and the position not get cancelled!

When I was a CSR I applied via the external announcement for an RA position. It really helped to have the IRS on my resume. I was actually able to go up from a 6 to a 9 since I have my CPA certificate. My coworker who was hired internally was dropped from a 9 RO to a 5 RA, but kept her salary. Your salary may change if you change locales and locality pay differs. Good luck to you!BoardReader12342013-10-11 21:55:53
dmellow  
#11 Posted : Friday, October 11, 2013 2:30:58 PM(UTC)

Thanks for all the info and well wishes! There were two internal announcements that came out the same time as the external one. My location wasn't included on the internal ones, otherwise I would have applied both ways. I'm thinking if they did post it internally, then they may not have gotten enough interest.
me  
#12 Posted : Friday, October 11, 2013 9:37:16 PM(UTC)
itsmeirs

I applied for all three announcements. I made category A for the external one. But Category A Superior Qualified does not mean BQ list. I have not received anything for the internal positions yet. I would prefer the internal positions because the grade listed were higher. The external only announced at GS 5. I am ready for my interview. But an interview does not guarantee anything. Just keeping my fingers crossed.
me  
#13 Posted : Monday, October 28, 2013 12:30:03 AM(UTC)
itsmeirs

Looks like things are moving along with the 3 positions. No selections were made for the Perm ITAS position located in Annapolis MD. I selected Annapolis as one of the cities I wish to be considered. These were nationwide announcements.
spence  
#14 Posted : Monday, October 28, 2013 1:12:05 AM(UTC)

I got a couple emails saying I didn't make BQ on the internal announcements.
Nicholas Mahmoud  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, November 20, 2013 5:09:21 AM(UTC)
taxintel1

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
DMellow, do I hear U right? You R now a revenue agent and pursuing a seasonal ITAS position?

Just curious.
Nicholas Mahmoud  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, November 20, 2013 5:18:09 AM(UTC)
taxintel1

Spence, I'm in the same boat as U with the internal posting. Just got an email couple days ago that suggested I have the basic qual for external. Then again, I get this type of email for about half of the positions I apply for, but that's as far as it goes.

Think they ever hire from that external when every person I know says they are applying internally?
dmellow  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:19:52 AM(UTC)

I am a seasonal CSR applying for a seasonal ITAS position. I would be curious how many applicants they got internally. Everyone I know wants to go perm and are not looking for another seasonal job. For alot of people, including me, you would probably have to go down some grades. I am thinking they could come pretty close to my current salary and I may have a longer season. Not sure. Also, less competition to go perm since it's a much smaller group.

I got an e-mail about a month ago saying they are experiencing delays in filling the vacancies. They moved the start date from November to mid December. They said they will send an update every 30 days.
Nicholas Mahmoud  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, November 20, 2013 10:04:37 AM(UTC)
taxintel1

OK, I misunderstood. Perm is nice. Most folks I know who started within the last few years as I did just want to get away from being a contact rep. And a furlough system that is as arbitrary as the current system. I am guessing that ITAS don't get recalled to work then furloughed again after a couple of weeks due to workload concerns.

Twice now I have been recalled for exactly 3 weeks both times.
spence  
#19 Posted : Friday, January 3, 2014 3:19:36 PM(UTC)

Appears they've made additional referrals of internals who previously were informed they didn't make the Best Qualified list. Hiring decisions have been made for some positions and for others are still in process.

I'm happy with the job I'm at now, and I'm no longer trying to become an ITAS at this time, but cool!spence2014-01-03 23:30:07
yolie0212ply  
#20 Posted : Saturday, January 4, 2014 1:49:28 AM(UTC)

There were 5 customer service reps selected from our office which is Dallas call site.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed