Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

4 Pages«<234
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
collvm  
#61 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2020 6:25:56 AM(UTC)
collvm

Groups: Registered
United States

Starting to get a little discouraged in regards to hearing anything back for the ITAS position. I don't know if it is just for my area or not. The office that is located here is still temporarily closed and was hoping that they still would go ahead with hiring and training but I am thinking that the position is probably going to be canceled. This will be the 2nd position with IRS that I have progressed with just to have something happen and it get canceled. The last one was when the shutdown happened. Has anyone continued on in the hiring process with this position?
Papoose79  
#62 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2020 7:39:44 AM(UTC)
Papoose79

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Originally Posted by: collvm Go to Quoted Post
Starting to get a little discouraged in regards to hearing anything back for the ITAS position. I don't know if it is just for my area or not. The office that is located here is still temporarily closed and was hoping that they still would go ahead with hiring and training but I am thinking that the position is probably going to be canceled. This will be the 2nd position with IRS that I have progressed with just to have something happen and it get canceled. The last one was when the shutdown happened. Has anyone continued on in the hiring process with this position?

Don't get discouraged. I was given this job offer this time last year but didn't get onboarded till January 2020 then starting in February 2020. Covid19 has messed up quite a bit of everything as well. FYI if another position comes along take it, and then decide if you still want this one. Good Luck!
collvm  
#63 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2020 1:52:40 PM(UTC)
collvm

United States

Originally Posted by: Papoose79 Go to Quoted Post

Don't get discouraged. I was given this job offer this time last year but didn't get onboarded till January 2020 then starting in February 2020. Covid19 has messed up quite a bit of everything as well. FYI if another position comes along take it, and then decide if you still want this one. Good Luck!

I am definitely doing my best not to get discouraged, thank you for your reply....I will keep my fingers crossed things will move forward soon.
RodoHinote  
#64 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2020 1:58:25 PM(UTC)
RodoHinote

Man
United States

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Quick question. Is it possible to apply to one position in the IRS, and be sent an invite to test for another position within the same agency?
"Never judge someone's character based on the words of another. Focus on the one casting judgment." - Suzy Kassel
ashulein  
#65 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2020 3:03:05 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Originally Posted by: RodoHinote Go to Quoted Post
Quick question. Is it possible to apply to one position in the IRS, and be sent an invite to test for another position within the same agency?

Personally, I have never heard of such a scenario having occurred but I suppose stranger things do happen working for the government. Generally, as long as applications are funneled through OPM, you are pretty well locked into what you apply for. Now there are other agencies that don't hire through usajobs.gov and they may have more "open recruitment" than what I have ever seen and heard about.

If anyone has had a different experience it certainly would be interesting to hear about.

Edited by user Monday, August 17, 2020 3:07:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

teeeeej  
#66 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2020 4:36:19 PM(UTC)
teeeeej

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 34 post(s)

If you applied to multiple positions, then I would imagine it happens all the time.
brian76  
#67 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2020 7:02:31 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Just saw a posting for a position in San Jose, CA. I’m going to give it a go and see what happens!
RodoHinote  
#68 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2020 3:24:43 PM(UTC)
RodoHinote

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: teeeeej Go to Quoted Post

If you applied to multiple positions, then I would imagine it happens all the time.

Yes, but it would only make sense if I applied to the other position. I only applied to the one.
"Never judge someone's character based on the words of another. Focus on the one casting judgment." - Suzy Kassel
RodoHinote  
#69 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2020 3:41:05 PM(UTC)
RodoHinote

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: ashulein Go to Quoted Post

Personally, I have never heard of such a scenario having occurred but I suppose stranger things do happen working for the government. Generally, as long as applications are funneled through OPM, you are pretty well locked into what you apply for. Now there are other agencies that don't hire through usajobs.gov and they may have more "open recruitment" than what I have ever seen and heard about.

If anyone has had a different experience it certainly would be interesting to hear about.

That’s what’s so puzzling to me. I saw the notice in my e-mail, same announcement number as the *phantom* title, but the title for the position was completely different in the e-mail than what was listed on the announcement. For example...usajobs announcement would say “Title position A.....announcement number ABC-12345-00” all the while the e-mail would say “ Title position B.....announcement number ABC-12345-00”. When in absolute fact I applied to position A, and never even saw position B and yet I’m getting invites to test for B. This has NEVER happened.

My confusion comes from my not understanding what may have happened. Did they possibly change the job announcement on their end without updating the information on USAJOBS? Were they intentionally trying to send me the invite for position A and accidentally sending me the invite for position B? If I take the test for B, will I even still stand a chance of being hired in at that position *Because let’s face it, though I would love to work position B, I am afraid that it may slip away because it would later be found that I never even applied for B*? I’ve corrected H.R. and regretted it before. I have no idea what to do at this point. Any advice is welcomed.

Edited by user Tuesday, August 18, 2020 3:42:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ashulein  
#70 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2020 4:31:26 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 39 post(s)
That’s what’s so puzzling to me. I saw the notice in my e-mail, same announcement number as the *phantom* title, but the title for the position was completely different in the e-mail than what was listed on the announcement. For example...usajobs announcement would say “Title position A.....announcement number ABC-12345-00” all the while the e-mail would say “ Title position B.....announcement number ABC-12345-00”. When in absolute fact I applied to position A, and never even saw position B and yet I’m getting invites to test for B. This has NEVER happened.

My confusion comes from my not understanding what may have happened. Did they possibly change the job announcement on their end without updating the information on USAJOBS? Were they intentionally trying to send me the invite for position A and accidentally sending me the invite for position B? If I take the test for B, will I even still stand a chance of being hired in at that position *Because let’s face it, though I would love to work position B, I am afraid that it may slip away because it would later be found that I never even applied for B*? I’ve corrected H.R. and regretted it before. I have no idea what to do at this point. Any advice is welcomed.

Honestly, I can't say as HR is not my thing but I suppose it is possible that the original posting was cancelled (which does happen) and they created a new one because something changed (or maybe they didn't get enough of a response) from the first one. Then, perhaps, instead of making you reapply (which is what I have had to do previously in these circumstances) they just assumed you still wanted the job and sent you an assessment to take. But that is just a guess. What is the job description for the "new position?" Is it for something that is the same/similar to something you have previously applied for? If it is, what was the end result of the "original position" you applied for? It would say on usajobs.gov and the IRS employment site that links off it the status of previous applications. If it truly is something new I can't even begin to speculate... other than some sort of human error... which is always a possibility.

In my opinion, I wouldn't overthink it. If it is a position that you are interested in I would go along for the ride as it should not hurt you to take an assessment you were invited to. Plus, I have never been offered a job based exclusively on an assessment... there is always a referral to a selecting official, interviews, etc. So at some point in the hiring process you should have a chance to voice your concern to someone closer to the center of the hiring process. Worst case scenario is that you don't get a job you technically didn't apply to in the first place (if I am reading you correctly). I suppose that it could be a let down if you got the job and they took it away (which I have seen in cases when people are lying on an application and once when a position was accidently flown externally instead of internally even though the person who got hired already worked for the agency) but considering I have been flat out dismissed without a peep for a multitude of positions I have applied to over the years a false positive wouldn't be so bad... but that is just me. If you really want to know more you are just going to have to contact HR and/or do more digging on your part. There should be contact info somewhere on the job posting linked to that assessment. It goes without saying (but I am going to say it anyway), whatever you do just don't lie at any point in the process as that can definitely be used against you at a later date. Sorry but that is the best I've got since this has never happened to me.

Edited by user Wednesday, August 19, 2020 2:37:32 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

brian76  
#71 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2020 7:05:14 PM(UTC)

Has anybody else applied to one of the recent ITAS announcements? I applied to one in CA that closed last week.
teeeeej  
#72 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2020 7:25:03 PM(UTC)
teeeeej

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 34 post(s)
Originally Posted by: brian76 Go to Quoted Post
Has anybody else applied to one of the recent ITAS announcements? I applied to one in CA that closed last week.

I applied to the one that had a few ca and hi locations months ago. Think I got referred last week.
CubicalCMDR  
#73 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2020 7:39:08 PM(UTC)
CubicalCMDR

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Received email today that Salem Oregon ITAS was filled by an inside applicant.
brian76  
#74 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2020 7:45:03 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: teeeeej Go to Quoted Post

I applied to the one that had a few ca and hi locations months ago. Think I got referred last week.

That’s awesome, good luck!
brian76  
#75 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2020 7:49:57 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: CubicalCMDR Go to Quoted Post
Received email today that Salem Oregon ITAS was filled by an inside applicant.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you get another chance soon!
collvm  
#76 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2020 4:22:08 AM(UTC)
collvm

United States

I applied back in April before the whole COVID thing hit and haven't heard anything since. Then saw where they were converting seasonal to perm if they wanted it so I am thinking that any position open for my area will be filled. I am trying not to get discouraged but this is the 2nd position with IRS that has fallen through b/c of something, the last position got offer and was in the process of transferring and the government shutdown occurred. Starting to think there is a sign being thrown my way, lol.
brian76  
#77 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2020 6:38:41 AM(UTC)

I applied back in April before the whole COVID thing hit and haven't heard anything since. Then saw where they were converting seasonal to perm if they wanted it so I am thinking that any position open for my area will be filled. I am trying not to get discouraged but this is the 2nd position with IRS that has fallen through b/c of something, the last position got offer and was in the process of transferring and the government shutdown occurred. Starting to think there is a sign being thrown my way, lol.

Hang in there, I’m hoping you’ll hear something soon! I haven’t applied for an IRS job since 2009 for RO.
CubicalCMDR  
#78 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2020 10:13:09 AM(UTC)
CubicalCMDR

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Telephone Interview on Monday, rural Calif ITAS. External applicant.
brian76  
#79 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2020 10:36:02 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: CubicalCMDR Go to Quoted Post
Telephone Interview on Monday, rural Calif ITAS. External applicant.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
Hey Dude  
#80 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2020 5:20:07 PM(UTC)
Hey Dude

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Good luck Cubical on Monday interview,!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed