Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nissan25  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 30, 2008 7:09:28 PM(UTC)
nissan25

Groups: Registered

Any difference between GS & FG pay scale? I cant seems to find the FG pay scale online.

Im presently a GS employee, I just applied for a position with the FAA @ FG pay scale.
radar78  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 30, 2008 8:30:11 PM(UTC)
radar78

FG is pay banding. Eek
familyman  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 01, 2008 12:36:00 AM(UTC)
familyman

Not everyone at the FAA is pay banded. I am on the FG schedule. It is the same as the GS.

Link to FAA pay
daystar  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 04, 2008 4:14:42 AM(UTC)
daystar

I believe about 6 percent of the FAA workforce is still on the GS/FG pay system and most of those are aviation safety inspectors. The other 94% are in "core comp" which is a "pay for performance" system. I wouldn't count on your position remaining in the GS system forever, because there is a strong push from the top HR managers to get everyone into core comp.
FAA Inspector  
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 14, 2009 11:49:08 AM(UTC)
FAA Inspector

I would advise you not to hold your breath thinking the Inspector workforce is going to pay banding. Since the upper management doesn't like it and neither does Washington (now) we don't expect it to happen any time soon. To my knowledge, the GS and the FG pay scale is the same. The difference is FG personnel are "exempt" whereas the GS is "non-exempt".
redpilotjon  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 05, 2009 12:19:31 AM(UTC)
redpilotjon

greetings all. What is pay banding? What is the difference between exempt/non-exempt??
The HalfBreed  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 25, 2013 1:24:07 AM(UTC)
The HalfBreed

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

I just happened upon this old conversation, and would like to clarify some information here.

1. FAA FV/FG Pay scales were frozen by the FAA administrator 3 or 4 years between 2001 - 2009, therefore, the GS grade annual increases made the FAA Pay Scales (Core-Comp) lower by comparison. As an example, the H band WAS identical to the GS-12 band in 2000, however, the H band is approx. $10,000.00/year LOWER than the GS-12 band now. That disparity and lowering of the pay band is across the board at FAA, and does NOT include the current 3 year pay freeze.

2. FAA has several units that are STILL GS bands, including Instructors at the FAA Academy in Oklahoma City, OK, and members of the Manufacturing Inspection District Offices (MIDO) around the country. Maybe a few more here and there.

3. Exempt vs NON-Exempt is a definition set forth under FLSA Rules (Fair Labor Standards Act) and can be quite complicated. As a small example, I was NON-Exempt, and had to be paid 1 1/2 times my hourly salary for ANY and ALL overtime worked, and it was MY option to ask for Comp Time, as it was illegal for a manager to offer it, or demand that I take it. I also had to be paid overtime for travel, and other things. Many that are exempt and are at or above GS-10 could not be paid true over time, and were paid O/T at a GS-10 Step 1 rate, even though that was lower than their regular pay rate.
I was FG and was NON-Exempt, as were the majority of the 6,000 of us...Sorry FAA Inspector, your information you received is/was quite wrong. It is the FAA's Intent to get everyone into Core-Comp.

4. Familyman...if you're an FG employee, you ARE in FAA Core-Comp, and is not equal to the GS Pay Scale.

I know this because I retired 12/19/2012 after 39 years, 35 in the FAA, 4 military.

RETIRED 12/19/2012 !!! Good Bye Tension !!! Hello Pension !!!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed