Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

BRAC - Base Realignment and Closure

The effects of a base closure can be huge - causing much stress and questions. This forum can help with the sharing of ideas, suggestions, and answers of those affected (currently or in the past) by BRAC.

Be civil when debating with others in the forum. Uncivil remarks toward any other forum member is prohibited on FederalSoup.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SDAnalyst  
#21 Posted : Monday, May 19, 2014 7:35:54 AM(UTC)
SD Analyst

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 429 time(s) in 368 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Go saints Go to Quoted Post
If you accept a new position no more than two grades lower, are you kept in pay retention or suffer a pay cut?
It depends. If you are talking about accepting a lower graded position due to Transfer of Function or Reduction in Force, you get pay retention. If it's not in those situations, like you accept a job in another location that's 2 grades lower because you want to move, you lose the pay.

connor85  
#22 Posted : Friday, May 30, 2014 7:34:45 AM(UTC)
connor85

If you are eligible for a federal civilian retirement annuity based on time i.e. age and years (over 55 with 29 years) does that equate to being ineligible for Severance Pay? Or, do they use the MRA as the basis to determine eligibility? My MRA is age 60 however if a RIF is directed I could take an early retirement with no penalty albeit being reduced due to not working an additional 2-3 years.

SDAnalyst  
#23 Posted : Monday, June 2, 2014 8:02:39 AM(UTC)
SD Analyst

Originally Posted by: connor85 Go to Quoted Post
If you are eligible for a federal civilian retirement annuity based on time i.e. age and years (over 55 with 29 years) does that equate to being ineligible for Severance Pay? Or, do they use the MRA as the basis to determine eligibility? My MRA is age 60 however if a RIF is directed I could take an early retirement with no penalty albeit being reduced due to not working an additional 2-3 years.

I think you have some misinformation regarding retirement eligibility. I am assuming you are FERS. No FERS employee has an MRA of 60; the maximum is 57. At age 60 with 20 years you can retire (immediate retirement). You can retire with as little as 5 years of service at age 62. For FERS, at your MRA, you need 30 years unless you are going out with MRA+10 (10 years of service and reached your MRA of 57). However, there is a big penalty of 5 percent per year for every year you are under age 62. Here's a link to FERS Retirement Eligibility info: http://www.opm.gov/retir...information/eligibility/

If you are eligible for immediate retirement, you are ineligible for Severance Pay. Here's the regs: http://www.opm.gov/polic...ct-sheets/severance-pay/

You may want to ask this question in the Benefits forum. Ed Z can provide you with more information.

Edited by user Monday, June 2, 2014 8:03:24 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

connor85  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2014 3:10:20 PM(UTC)
connor85

I am actually a Portability employee who elected to retain Air Force NAF retirement. So, the MRA rule for them is 20 years at age 60. Thank you for answering Pat in SD.
SDAnalyst  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2014 3:15:36 PM(UTC)
SD Analyst

Originally Posted by: connor85 Go to Quoted Post
I am actually a Portability employee who elected to retain Air Force NAF retirement. So, the MRA rule for them is 20 years at age 60. Thank you for answering Pat in SD.
OK, I don't know anything about the NAF system. I provided a link to the FERS retirement regs. Even with them, if you get a RIF notice, and have 20 years in and are age 60, you can retire immediately, or 25 years at any age. There's a chart of the actual age/service requirements at the link. You may want to ask this in the Federal Employee Benefits Q&A forum: https://forum.federalsou...lt.aspx?g=topics&f=6

moeboy45  
#26 Posted : Saturday, August 9, 2014 11:40:36 AM(UTC)
moeboy45

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I assume you are talking a RIF situation. If you have no break in service (you move directly from the old job to the new job) and have held a grade higher than the lower-graded job for at least a year, you should get grade retention for 2 years. During that time, you'd continue to get any higher grade WGIs due and full annual pay increases (if there is an annual pay increase, unlike 2013). After the 2 years are up, your pay would be set on the lower grade pay chart. If your pay fell between 2 steps, you'd get the higher step. If it exceeded step 10, you'd get pay retention. It's a little more complicated if you are switching to/from a special salary rate position or changing locality areas.

If you aren't talking RIF, it depends on the specific situation - are you physically disqualified for your current job, and the lower graded position is to accommodate that? Pay retention is normally given then. If you are a DoD employee returning from a foreign country to a lower-graded job in the US, pay retention would be granted (if necessary). If it's an entirely voluntary change to lower grade (you are just switching jobs), it depends on the pay setting rules of the gaining agency - normally, no pay retention would be given, but if the job was advertised as hard-to-fill and pay retention would be given, then you could get it.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed