Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Training and Certification

Whether you want to improve your skills, boost your resume or prepare for a new job opportunity, training and certification programs and resources can help you achieve your goals. With the right program and resource, you will be more productive and this will help you climb the career ladder.

Here is a forum to ask questions about a particular program, to exchange insight on which is the right training, to share which certifications are the best to attain, to seek out what to do first, and to offer recommendations to others.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jessika  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 22, 2013 10:49:26 PM(UTC)
Selenela

Groups: Registered

Hey everyone,
I'm thinking of doing my Masters program through this school. Has anyone gone to this school and what are your recommendations?
They have some amazing programs, just not sure I want to take all online classes. Have taken a dozen in my Bachelors program but I like in class participation as well.
Matteo Prodi  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 17, 2014 6:13:06 AM(UTC)
Matteo Pro

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Selenela,

I signed up for AMU this coming semester. I talked to a good buddy of mine who did his BA thru AMU and was pleased with the school.

I did my BS thru Kaplan and liked Kaplan a lot. I will report back with a review as soon as classes start.

MP
Casualmadness  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 17, 2014 9:29:51 PM(UTC)

I attended AMU for a while. My experience was pretty bad. No real direction from teachers, no actual teaching...in my classes there were no books (I don't know if that's true for all classes) so teachers would literally bombard us with link to read. So click one link and start reading and find ten new links within that link. Click on each of those to read and find new links in each of those...it was a never ending loop of links. That bugged me because I don't like to read on a screen. I'm much better with a book.
The level of teaching was a joke (in my opinion). It felt very disorganized and scattered. I eventually dropped all of my classes and went elsewhere.
Jessika  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 25, 2014 9:13:17 AM(UTC)
Selenela

I actually found two other schools with amazing programs.
George Washington University and Utica college which has a Masters of Cybersecurity with three concentration paths.
I talked to one of the teachers and was very impressed with their program which is NSA approved. I may also look into their Financial Crime Fraud Masters.
Jessika  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 25, 2014 9:15:33 AM(UTC)
Selenela

student vet  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 07, 2014 11:45:05 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Casualmadness Go to Quoted Post
I attended AMU for a while. My experience was pretty bad. No real direction from teachers, no actual teaching...in my classes there were no books (I don't know if that's true for all classes) so teachers would literally bombard us with link to read. So click one link and start reading and find ten new links within that link. Click on each of those to read and find new links in each of those...it was a never ending loop of links. That bugged me because I don't like to read on a screen. I'm much better with a book.
The level of teaching was a joke (in my opinion). It felt very disorganized and scattered. I eventually dropped all of my classes and went elsewhere.

AMU is a great school and provides quality education, I am earning my masters degree from their. Stop blaming the school for your own incompetence.
FedCivServ  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2014 11:04:30 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 136 post(s)
I think what it comes down to is some people like on line education and some like ground classes. I've Taken both, got out of U of Phoenix because i personally didn't like on line and went to Webster's ground campus for my first masters and LOVED it. On line: Must be self-starting, must be comfortable working as part of a group(most schools use this method) which you can't see or interact with personally; must not necessarily need the direct in person interaction w/ others to learn. Gives you the most flexibility generally; but also requires extreme discipline and accountability. Ground campus offers the least flexibility (you have to be there when THEY say) but you get the benefits of in person instruction, interaction w/ fellow students and sometimes actual books (not always). I would just advise that whatever school you choose, make sure it is accredited. There are some on-line (and maybe even some ground) that are degree mills w/o proper credentials. They are no cheaper but what you get from them is worth alot less. My agency won't even pay for classes unless it's from an accredited university which helps. Good luck.
Johnlmurphly  
#8 Posted : Friday, May 01, 2015 7:50:28 PM(UTC)
Johnlmurphly

The American Public University System (APUS) is a for-profit, online learning institution that is composed of the American Military University and the American Public University. APUS is wholly owned by American Public Education, Inc., a publicly traded private-sector corporation (NASDAQ: APEI). APUS maintains corporate and academic offices in Charles Town, West Virginia and administrative offices in Manassas, Virginia. APUS offers associate, bachelor's and master's degrees.The university was founded in 1991 by Major James P. Etter (USMC, retired) as the American Military University.[3] Operations began in January 1993 with the enrollment of 18 graduate students. Initially, the main goal of the university was to meet the unique educational needs of military personnel needing courses in specialized areas, such as counterterrorism and military intelligence, that were not included in typical university course offerings. In the early years, instruction was done through conventional correspondence

Family lawyer in Rockford IL
GWPDA  
#9 Posted : Saturday, May 02, 2015 5:14:03 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 465 time(s) in 387 post(s)
I taught (briefly) for AMU. I'm a dreadful teacher. My students would have had better training with a reading list and the library.

ElaineEObrien  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2015 11:00:44 PM(UTC)
ElaineEObrien

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You should be able to get a good score as long as you study hard for getting the admission in AMU. Buy a study material at a bookstore or online courses and go through as much of it as you can. AMU is good for online degrees.
jhall552000  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2017 2:04:40 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GWPDA Go to Quoted Post
I taught (briefly) for AMU. I'm a dreadful teacher. My students would have had better training with a reading list and the library.

At least you are honest...LOL.
Navy80  
#12 Posted : Monday, January 01, 2018 9:14:22 AM(UTC)
Navy80

Man

I got my undergrad from AMU... It was okay, but I skimmed my way through it and didn't learn as much as I should have. But it's partly my fault and partly AMUs fault..They have really interesting degree plans and that's what I like about AMU. VERY military friendly of course.

But hey, the GI Bill paid me $30,000 over the course of getting my BA and MA!
j2huggies  
#13 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2018 7:13:10 PM(UTC)
j2huggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I re-re-enrolled there....
-J Hughes
USAF Veteran 2004-2012
Police Dispatcher
Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD
USTrans  
#14 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2019 10:35:54 AM(UTC)
USTrans

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I have nothing but great things to say about AMU...
Rss Feed  Atom Feed