Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Training and Certification

Whether you want to improve your skills, boost your resume or prepare for a new job opportunity, training and certification programs and resources can help you achieve your goals. With the right program and resource, you will be more productive and this will help you climb the career ladder.

Here is a forum to ask questions about a particular program, to exchange insight on which is the right training, to share which certifications are the best to attain, to seek out what to do first, and to offer recommendations to others.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Thatguy  
#21 Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2014 10:07:07 PM(UTC)
DH0521

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
A good way to build contacts with fema is to sign up for the surge capacity force.
LeVar A. Newsom  
#22 Posted : Sunday, March 9, 2014 12:57:40 AM(UTC)
psilentchild

DH0521 wrote:
A good way to build contacts with fema is to sign up for the surge capacity force.

What is that?
student vet  
#23 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2014 11:40:51 AM(UTC)

A Masters in Homeland Security is worth it but make sure to get it from a great school like The American Military University. Graduates of AMU are highly qualified for federal jobs.
qa2pete  
#24 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2015 11:49:46 AM(UTC)
qa2pete

Man
United States

I remember when McNamara came to Fermi lab in Illinois back in the 1960's. He ask what he lab did for our countries defense. Fermi replied, "Nothing, except make it worth defending". Any education is a plus, without it we would still living in caves. It insures you are not reinventing the wheel and know how to ask the right questions. You gain an underlining knowledge to know why you are doing what you do. That can not be learned on the job. How long would it take to learn physics and Calculus, by trial and error, on the job. By the OJT standard, a janitor with 30 years experience in a hospital should be a surgeon.
Unforgettablefire  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, May 29, 2019 9:12:03 PM(UTC)
Unforgettablefire

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Even though this is an old thread, I thought I would add my two cents.

First, a Homeland Security degree is not worthless. It’s also however not an ideal degree for most people unless it gives them specific knowledge for a specific job they are after.

Case in point: I currently work in preparedness and am completing my masters in Homeland Security with a graduate certificate in emergency management. Frankly I would have preferred a masters in emergency management to show a singular focus on the field, but all things considered, this was my best option and I have geared all my classes to the emergency management field.

I am getting this degree specifically for the purpose of furthering my emergency management career. Someone mentioned a public administration degree and I concur that is a good choice that broadly applies to most government jobs. One of the problems with an MPA though is it can be too broad. A general MPA doesn’t stand out against many other people who hedge their bets by going with something broadly applicable. This is why many MPAs offer a specialization to offset this issue and keep graduates more competitive. So if you go the MPA route, be sure to specialize, unless you are already in the field you want to work in. Then it’s not really an issue.

As someone else already stated, degrees are a check box for certain jobs. They also however signal interest in and commitment to a specific field to the hiring official. Your goal should be to identify the specific field you want to work in and specialize in that field.

In a time when degrees are more plentiful than they used to be, it pays to specialize.

Personally, I would discourage anyone from getting a Homeland Security degree unless they are certain they want to work in the specific field they are focusing on within HS like emergency management, criminal intelligence analysis, etc...

I also would discourage anyone from borrowing money to get any graduate degree unless they are both certain and passionate about the specific field they are pursing.

Finally, $40k seems pretty steep. I would consider less expensive options.

Edited by user Wednesday, May 29, 2019 9:13:37 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Unforgettablefire for this useful post.
zizzer on 7/25/2019(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed