Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Education

The mission of the Department of Education is to promote student achievement and preparation for global competitiveness by fostering educational excellence and ensuring equal access

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jeff  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2014 1:00:38 PM(UTC)
boarder78

Groups: Registered

"You have been rated among the best qualified candidates and have been referred to the selecting official. The selecting official will make further contact with you if they wish to schedule an interview."

Job: General Attorney (Civil Rights Division)

I received this on April 17. I was wondering if anyone knew how long this process takes? Will they contact me even if they don't select me? Will I need to fly to the location for an interview?

Any help with this process will be much appreciated!
discostu  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2014 7:10:07 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I got the same email, also curious.
Knight  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 19, 2014 3:43:26 AM(UTC)

Man

Was thanked: 480 time(s) in 396 post(s)
The following is generic info and might not totally apply to your situation.

1) Time - This varies so much it is nealry impossible to say. It will take as long as it takes. Some have been contacted in weeks for an interview and some in a month. Some have been called and asked if they are still interested 6 months after applying.

2) Non-selection - Many never get called or notified of nonselection. Maybe USAjobs will update to show nonselection, sometimes it never update at all.

3) Interviews - This varies from agency to agency. If you are local they like face to face. Long distance can be done by telephone, Video chat, or a trip to the site. I am not sure what this depends on. I have done many and still interviews are a mystery to me. My last job hired me without an interview.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
discostu on 4/19/2014(UTC)
Jeff  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 19, 2014 8:24:18 PM(UTC)
boarder78

Originally Posted by: discostu Go to Quoted Post
I got the same email, also curious.

Was it from the NY branch? Just curious...
Jeff  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 19, 2014 8:25:28 PM(UTC)
boarder78

Originally Posted by: Knight Go to Quoted Post
The following is generic info and might not totally apply to your situation.

1) Time - This varies so much it is nealry impossible to say. It will take as long as it takes. Some have been contacted in weeks for an interview and some in a month. Some have been called and asked if they are still interested 6 months after applying.

2) Non-selection - Many never get called or notified of nonselection. Maybe USAjobs will update to show nonselection, sometimes it never update at all.

3) Interviews - This varies from agency to agency. If you are local they like face to face. Long distance can be done by telephone, Video chat, or a trip to the site. I am not sure what this depends on. I have done many and still interviews are a mystery to me. My last job hired me without an interview.

Thanks for the info. At least there's a chance I don't have to fly across country for an interview. There's a local branch near me…
Appreciate the help!
big mama  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 19, 2014 8:27:45 PM(UTC)
big mama

Woman

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Not to be a "Debbie Downer," but I have received many e-mails like that and was never called for an interview. In some cases, I was told that I was rated among the "best qualified" and then would get another e-mail saying "Thanks for your interest but another candidate was selected for the position."

The point is that I would recommend not making any definitive plans about interviews or travel unless you get a call from the hiring manager about one.

Like Knight mentioned, if you are in the same town, they would schedule a face-to-face. If you are not in the same town, they usually schedule a phone interview. If they like you and want a second interview, then they might arrange for a face-to-face interview in which you would have to fly in to meet with the hiring manager(s). In most cases, however, follow-up interviews are usually done via phone and hiring offers are made without actually meeting the candidate(s) in person.

Edited by user Sunday, April 20, 2014 5:37:55 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jeff  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 20, 2014 2:18:21 PM(UTC)
boarder78

Originally Posted by: big mama Go to Quoted Post
Not to be a "Debbie Downer," but I have received many e-mails like that and was never called for an interview. In some cases, I was told that I was rated among the "best qualified" and then would get another e-mail saying "Thanks for your interest but another candidate was selected for the position."

The point is that I would recommend not making any definitive plans about interviews or travel unless you get a call from the hiring manager about one.

Like Knight mentioned, if you are in the same town, they would schedule a face-to-face. If you are not in the same town, they usually schedule a phone interview. If they like you and want a second interview, then they might arrange for a face-to-face interview in which you would have to fly in to meet with the hiring manager(s). In most cases, however, follow-up interviews are usually done via phone and hiring offers are made without actually meeting the candidate(s) in person.

Thanks for the info. I'm not making any travel plans. Appreciate your insight.
LegallyClueless  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2014 5:27:07 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: boarder78 Go to Quoted Post
"You have been rated among the best qualified candidates and have been referred to the selecting official. The selecting official will make further contact with you if they wish to schedule an interview."

I received this on April 17. I was wondering if anyone knew how long this process takes? Will they contact me even if they don't select me? Will I need to fly to the location for an interview?

Which job posting/location was this for?
discostu  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2014 6:00:30 AM(UTC)

Update: I got a second email. Here's what I got so far

1st email: April 17, "among the best qualified," subject line of email: OCR-HQ-201​4-0010 (BQ/GS11)(​NY)

2nd email: April 21, "You have met the pre-screening criteria and have been referred to the panel for further review. The selecting official will make further contact with you if they wish to schedule an interview." Subject line: OCR-HQ-201​4-0010 (GS12/NY) BQR

My USAJobs status for this posting hasn't changed, still: "Reviewed"

These emails were probably sent by an automailer but the return address is someone who works at Dept of Ed, the intro line is: "Dear [USAJobs username]" which is interesting because usually I get these notices in a jumbled, misformatted HTML mess email from OPM. I'm guessing these emails were sent to many people, so probably no greater or lesser likelihood of scoring an interview than with any other USAJobs posting based on these emails alone.

My tea-leaf reading for the day.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
LegallyClueless on 4/21/2014(UTC)
LegallyClueless  
#10 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2014 8:43:41 AM(UTC)

Oh, I applied to several General Attorney positions with the Department of Ed in DC but the first one just closed maybe on 04/15, was just wondering if I would've heard anything back yet.

How long was it between the close date and the first email y'all received about being among the best qualified?
discostu  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, April 22, 2014 6:39:31 AM(UTC)

For job number OCR-HQ-2014-0010 my USAjobs shows: Closed date 3/24/2014, Last Update 4/14/2014, Status: Reviewed. Not much to interpret there, updates come anywhere from days to months after closing, if at all.
Jeff  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, April 22, 2014 12:20:46 PM(UTC)
boarder78

Update: I got a second email. Here's what I got so far

1st email: April 17, "among the best qualified," subject line of email: OCR-HQ-201​4-0010 (BQ/GS11)(​NY)

2nd email: April 21, "You have met the pre-screening criteria and have been referred to the panel for further review. The selecting official will make further contact with you if they wish to schedule an interview." Subject line: OCR-HQ-201​4-0010 (GS12/NY) BQR

My USAJobs status for this posting hasn't changed, still: "Reviewed"

These emails were probably sent by an automailer but the return address is someone who works at Dept of Ed, the intro line is: "Dear [USAJobs username]" which is interesting because usually I get these notices in a jumbled, misformatted HTML mess email from OPM. I'm guessing these emails were sent to many people, so probably no greater or lesser likelihood of scoring an interview than with any other USAJobs posting based on these emails alone.

My tea-leaf reading for the day.

That looks like 2 different jobs (GS11 and GS12). I'm not sure how to interpret that…
I just got the "pre-screening criteria" email today from San Fran. GS-905-9, 11, 12
Just from reading it, it seems like the "among the best qualified" is a step above "pre screening". I'm not sure though...
Jeff  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, April 22, 2014 12:22:05 PM(UTC)
boarder78

Originally Posted by: LegallyClueless Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: boarder78 Go to Quoted Post

Which job posting/location was this for?

NY
discostu  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, April 22, 2014 12:27:12 PM(UTC)

I got a couple more emails today, identical to previous ones except "SANFR" in subject line, presumably San Francisco, fwiw.
Jeff  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, April 22, 2014 1:09:46 PM(UTC)
boarder78

I got a couple more emails today, identical to previous ones except "SANFR" in subject line, presumably San Francisco, fwiw.

Me too…same place
LegallyClueless  
#16 Posted : Thursday, April 24, 2014 9:10:07 AM(UTC)

So I just got the same email as the original poster (about being among the best qualified), twice within 6 minutes of each other, both from the same person, with the same announcement number in the subject line.

Has anyone else had this happen? I'm thinking it might be because I applied for multiple grade levels, but no distinction was made in the emails.
discostu  
#17 Posted : Thursday, April 24, 2014 9:14:52 AM(UTC)

Yes I did too just now. I think the hiring people for this vacancy are using a different notification system (most USAJobs vacancies use generic OPM emails for updates) so we'll probably get multiple redundant emails.
fed14esq  
#18 Posted : Thursday, April 24, 2014 10:44:05 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I received the same emails. I applied to DC positions.
Jeff  
#19 Posted : Thursday, April 24, 2014 1:11:39 PM(UTC)
boarder78

I just got one from Cleveland...
S  
#20 Posted : Thursday, April 24, 2014 3:07:13 PM(UTC)
tinfish73

I got all the same responses as well. I also seem to vaguely recall a civil rights case alleging discrimination where the complaint failed, as the prospective employer identified all applicants as something akin to best qualified in their review process; the Court reasoned there was no discrimination because all candidates were judged to be same, but since there was only one opening, they could only hire one of them. Since this is a civil rights position, it's probably standard policy the Department cover it's rear from allegations of discrimination.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed