Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Workers' Compensation

The Office of Workers' Compensation Programs administers four major disability compensation programs which provide wage replacement benefits, medical treatment, vocational rehabilitation and other benefits to certain workers or their dependents who experience work-related injury or occupational disease.

Here is a forum for members to share and exchange experiences regarding to workers' compensation related issues.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ICE_lady  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2014 2:11:05 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Five years ago I was injured on the job. I’ve had thus far two surgeries on my left ankle and one on my right knee. I am at MMI and will be filing for my own schedule award. However, my current doctor will not write a report for me on my knee as he did not do that surgery.
An honest local attorney advised me to continue handling my own case and suggested I contact the doctors they use for personal injury cases to examine me and write the report. I take it for both my knee and ankle. However, I’m curious if I would have to pay their fees out of pocket, would I need to get pre-approval from OWCP, or just get reimbursed? Thanks!
jesse slade  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2014 3:13:21 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 136 post(s)
For a schedule award you will need an impairment rating under the 6th Edition of the Guides to Permanent Impairment. No other report or rating will be accepted by OWCP.

You do not need to go to the physician that did the surgery.In fact, it is usually better to see a different physician so that the impairment rating is impartial.

You need to find a physician that does impairment ratings under the 6th Edition of the Guides for the schedule award.

Although it's possible a physician that handles personal injury cases may be able to write a report, you want someone who is knowledgeable in OWCP. Most physicians who handle personal injury cases do not have any idea what the requirements of an OWCP medical report are. Based on the attorney suggesting you see a personal injury physician and didn't tell you that you would require an impairment rating under the 6th Edition of the Guides for a schedule award, my opinion would be the attorney doesn't handle or understand OWCP either.
ICE_lady  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2014 4:17:26 PM(UTC)

I apologize that I did not use the correct verbiage here with regards to OWCP.

Yes, I comprehend what an impairment rating is, as well as the requirements by which a doctor would need to write such a report. I have learned quite a bit by reading the posts here as well as conducted additional research on the subject matter in depth for the past five years on and off.

I did not feel I needed to go into the minutia of my discussion with that attorney as it would not bolster my question posted here. Be assured I interviewed him thoroughly and his answers were well received by me.

I thank you for the information about going to another physician but it does not quite answer my initial question. Who will pay for that doctors visit?

I know I had to send a letter to OWCP when my old doctor died and I needed to get a new doctor. I also had to get approval from OWCP for a second opinion that my primary orthopedist had recommended.

Hence my "billing" question to the audience at large.

jesse slade  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2014 5:07:17 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 136 post(s)
OWCP will pay for the impairment rating.
Tom  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2014 9:09:19 PM(UTC)
busyb

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Will OWCP pay for a PPI rating examination if no ratable impairment is found by the Office's DMA?
mike  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 22, 2014 3:26:04 AM(UTC)
mike55

OWCP will pay for the FCE/PPD as long as your doctor refers you for it. Problem I ran into was the person who performed my FCE/PPD was not a "physician" by OWCP rules. As such I needed my Neuro to sign the PPD. He has refused twice and I am in the process of trying to find a MD who KNOWS about the fed comp rules and regulations(proven difficult so far). As far as getting a new doctor, once you find one, I had my Ortho that did the back surgery refer me to the 2nd doctor. OWCP gave me NO problems what so ever in going to my 2nd pick doctor. OWCP will approve the new doctor as long as you have a referal from your treating doc and the new doctor meets OWCP requirments. Best of luck to you.

Mike
Snowed  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:13:14 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Your Impairment Exam should include all injuries to the limb weather work related or not.
March for Justice!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed