Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

VA (Department of Veterans Affairs)

The United States has the most comprehensive system of assistance for veterans of any nation in the world. This benefits system traces its roots back to 1636, when the Pilgrims of Plymouth Colony were at war with the Pequot Indians. The Pilgrims passed a law which stated that disabled soldiers would be supported by the colony. The establishment of the Veterans Administration came in 1930 when Congress authorized the President to "consolidate and coordinate Government activities affecting war veterans."

This forum also includes the Veterans Health Administration (VHA).

Perhaps you are working for the VA or interested in working for the VA. Here is a forum to share your experience with the VA.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jim1348  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 3:04:38 PM(UTC)
Jim1348

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I retired from local cop work 3 1/2 years ago and I am drawing a pension. I was a police officer for over 10 years and then a deputy sheriff for over 17 years. I have a college degree, but no military experience. The VA Police announcements for Minneapolis that I have read in the past mention current VA employees and those with military experience if an external candidate. Would it be worth applying for some other VA job at Minneapolis to get my foot in the door? If so, what would be some suitable jobs? At my age of 53, could they still pass me over an internal candidate?
blackandgold978  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2014 9:01:37 AM(UTC)

Unfortunately, you don't appear to qualify based on the job announcement. The announcement stated that you must have military experience as an external candidate, which you are. However, you don't so it is highly likely your resume will not make it past the initial screening to the hiring cert (A list of qualified candidates.) Veterans will automatically be given 5 point preference over you, and 10 points if they have any rated disability or a purple heart.

Plus, most VA Police Chiefs do not frequently hire non-veterans as Police Officers. It happens, but rarely. It's important that we be able to directly relate to our public.....i.e. veterans and their families and visitors. Sorry for the bad news, but better to be honest than snow you along.
old fed  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2014 9:43:27 AM(UTC)
old fed

Was thanked: 50 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jim1348 Go to Quoted Post
I retired from local cop work 3 1/2 years ago and I am drawing a pension. I was a police officer for over 10 years and then a deputy sheriff for over 17 years. I have a college degree, but no military experience. The VA Police announcements for Minneapolis that I have read in the past mention current VA employees and those with military experience if an external candidate. Would it be worth applying for some other VA job at Minneapolis to get my foot in the door? If so, what would be some suitable jobs? At my age of 53, could they still pass me over an internal candidate?

as far as other jobs, search the 55417 zip code via usajobs then by agency (if you're dead set on the VA) and see what's out there and where you would qualify. you don't mention what your degree is in (law enforcement?) so it's hard to say what other quals you meet in regards to other jobs.

Jim1348  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2014 5:31:48 PM(UTC)
Jim1348

Thank you for the replies. I have an AS, BS, and MS. My AS is in General Studies. My BS is in Law Enforcement. My MS is in Continuing Studies with concentrations in Criminal justice and Public Administration.

I do appreciate reading the accurate advice. It doesn't necessarily bother me that they would hire a 20 something, who was just released from active duty, who had an MOS completely unrelated to law enforcement, over a current VA employee who has no military experience, but has previous law enforcement experience. That is what I need to know. I will look elsewhere then.

I guess the reason I ask is because I have known folks working in state government who have told me that internal candidates in some states can be selected over external candidates, depending on the circumstances. I realize that federal government does not equal state government. I am just trying to learn more about the "rules of engagement", so to speak.
old fed  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2014 5:51:47 PM(UTC)
old fed

Was thanked: 50 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jim1348 Go to Quoted Post
Thank you for the replies. I have an AS, BS, and MS. My AS is in General Studies. My BS is in Law Enforcement. My MS is in Continuing Studies with concentrations in Criminal justice and Public Administration.

I do appreciate reading the accurate advice. It doesn't necessarily bother me that they would hire a 20 something, who was just released from active duty, who had an MOS completely unrelated to law enforcement, over a current VA employee who has no military experience, but has previous law enforcement experience. That is what I need to know. I will look elsewhere then.

I guess the reason I ask is because I have known folks working in state government who have told me that internal candidates in some states can be selected over external candidates, depending on the circumstances. I realize that federal government does not equal state government. I am just trying to learn more about the "rules of engagement", so to speak.

usajobs is down right now for maintenance so i can't check the announcement but i think your interpretation may be incorrect? from your initial posting it sounded like you either need to be a current VA employee OR have military time IF external. so your original thought of getting into the VA somehow (or some other agency first, then VA, then VA police) may be the route to take.

i would not give up just yet, your degrees may qualify you for some other VA job announcement or other agency......but like i said, the system is down right now.
blackandgold978  
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2014 6:24:59 AM(UTC)

Jim, you're not quite correct on your last post. It's a requirement for all candidates to come to the table with at least 2 years L.E. experience in the military or civilian world in order to be considered. That can be waved for entry at GS-5 with a Bachelor's in CJ or similar degree..... But the Vet Preference issue is still gonna be your biggest hurdle to overcome.
Msdivers4  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 15, 2017 10:57:32 AM(UTC)
Msdivers4

United States

I applied for a Police Officer position at the VA via USAJOBs in July 2017. This job was open to Fed employees, Vets, Individuals w/ disabilities, and Internal to an agency. I qualify for 10 point veterans preference and have more than the minimum required experience documented in my resume. I submitted all required documents at the time of application completion. Is it normal for there to be a long delay in the hiring process for the VA?
Hawaiiannative  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 4:41:10 AM(UTC)
Hawaiiannative

United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Yes, especially when management already has someone in mind for the position, and another candidate has superior credentials, including veterans preference.

They will just let the certification run out, and change the wording for the next certification, I have even seen postings listed for TWO days...so there are few applicants.
Goose1200  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 5:02:47 PM(UTC)
Goose1200

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
When you called HR to inquire about the status did they assist you-
Rss Feed  Atom Feed