Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Retirees

For those approaching retirement as well as the currently already retired, here is a forum to share ideas and thoughts and exchange questions and answers.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

To maximize your retirement, we also suggest you read "Retired Federal Employees Almanac".

(Reminder: soliciting of services is not allowed on this site.)

5 Pages«<345
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Taxes-101  
#81 Posted : Tuesday, April 07, 2015 8:59:51 AM(UTC)
Taxes-101

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
TheRealOrange, Dunleyg... thanks for the great legal explanations!
To clarify... The case is now in the Virginia Circuit Court (not Federal). And we are aware that we are at the beginning. If we get to trial and the Plaintiff prevails, we expect the State to appeal it to the Supreme Court of Virginia. So we have quite a ways to go. It's a long haul.
Taxes-101  
#82 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2015 4:43:09 AM(UTC)
Taxes-101

Judges Decision date has slipped again. Changed to April 17, 2015 (see www.csrstax.com). We are waiting for the Court's written decision on Virginia's attempt to dismiss the case (heard March 4, 2015). There were many filing related to the March 4, 2015 Hearing (total about 70 pages). Decision date could slip forward further! It's in the hands of the Judge.

Non-Virginia Residents: For those reading this who are in other states... approx. 22 states have tax policies similar to Virginia's. Thus if the Plaintiff prevails... it opens the possibility of those states eventually making changes.
Dunleyg  
#83 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2015 12:23:32 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Not to hijack the post, but the Wynne V State of Maryland Comptroller was decided by the US Supreme court last friday. Justice Alito wrote it failed the “internal consistency” test. My interpretation is: it just ain't fair for states to treat some taxpayers differently than others. State Comptroller's will interpret this ruling as narrowly as possible, I doubt it will have any direct effect in Virginia.

http://www.ncsl.org/blog...-no-double-taxation.aspx

Edited by user Tuesday, May 26, 2015 12:26:37 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

restonham  
#84 Posted : Wednesday, August 26, 2015 8:00:42 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Anything new on this topic or has it faded into the mist?
freeageless  
#85 Posted : Wednesday, August 26, 2015 1:08:51 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
It looks like it has faded into the mist. I note that I am not able to get into the OP's website, so I assume perhaps incorrectly that he has lost his case-just as many before him who have challenged the system have lost. Nice try by Taxes 101. Sad, I was hoping he would win.

Edited by user Wednesday, August 26, 2015 1:11:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Taxes-101  
#86 Posted : Friday, January 27, 2017 1:22:25 PM(UTC)
Taxes-101

CSRS Retirees are still overtaxed illegally (in Virginia). A portion of CSRS should be exempted from State income tax as comparable to Soc Sec. which is exempted 100%. NEEDED: 3 to 4 CSRS retirees to join legal suit… at NO COST from states listed below. I will pay all costs. A portion of CSRS retirement is an Alternate Social System. Such should be recognized and exempted from state income tax in the states listed below (those states exempt 100% of social security). I’m looking for 3 to 4 CSRS retirees in 3 to 4 of the states listed to join a legal suit in Federal Court to stop the states from discriminating against Fed CSRS retirees: AR, AZ, CA, CT, DC, IA, IN, ME, MI, OH, OR, VA, WI. Those who join will pay nothing. The principle will cover the attorney and court cost. Answer this post. I’ll give you my email subsequently.
postalvet  
#87 Posted : Friday, January 27, 2017 5:33:09 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 2173 time(s) in 1675 post(s)
this web site does not work

www.csrstax.com
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
Taxes-101  
#88 Posted : Sunday, January 29, 2017 3:05:28 PM(UTC)
Taxes-101

Posted Jan 29, 2017
The former website www.csrstax was directed at the state case. But it needs to be moved to the Fed Court. Thus what is needed is Plaintiffs from several states, thus it would be heard in the Fed Court… where it belongs as 4 USC 111 is Federal Law. It will be grandly entertaining! So join as a Plaintiff so we can move it forward.
TheRealOrange  
#89 Posted : Wednesday, April 19, 2017 10:34:54 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: freeageless Go to Quoted Post
It looks like it has faded into the mist. I note that I am not able to get into the OP's website, so I assume perhaps incorrectly that he has lost his case-just as many before him who have challenged the system have lost. Nice try by Taxes 101. Sad, I was hoping he would win.

It appears that the Virginia court held that there is no discrimination against federal CSRS employees based on the source of their pay or compensation, as prohibited by Title 4 U.S.C. § 111. In that case, Virginia's demurrer was sustained and the case was dismissed with prejudice. See, Karl Edward Beisel v. The Virginia Department of Taxation and Craig Burns, Circuit Court of the City of Chesapeake, Case No. CL 15-2. The order was reported as Public Document (P.D.) 16-7 (2/23/2016). The dismissal was then appealed by the plaintiff to the Supreme Court of Virginia, which refused the petition for appeal, ruling that there was no reversible error in the circuit court's judgment. See, SCV record #151221 (11/19/2015). As far as the state action in Virginia, it is finished. I am not aware of any current federal district court actions on the issue.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed