Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
peretrim  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2008 4:18:59 AM(UTC)
peretrim

Groups: Registered

I am being offered a position at one grade lower than I was found qualified by the agency.
1) what's the minimum amount of time I would have to wait to get promoted to that higher grade?
2) before I take this job: is it acceptable to ask the hiring officer whether he/she would consider promoting me once that minimum amount of time has passed?
Thanks for your help.
dreamn900  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2008 4:36:28 AM(UTC)
dreamn900

I'm not sure that I would ask the Hiring Officer that question, personally. I would probably ask HR why I wasn't being hired into the higher grade, if you were found qualified. Are you being hired into a career ladder or what is the promotional potential of the position?

[This message was edited by Shani on July 24, 2008 at 04:55 PM.]
timm123  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2008 8:48:59 AM(UTC)
timm123

quote:
Originally posted by charamy:
I am being offered a position at one grade lower than I was found qualified by the agency.
1) what's the minimum amount of time I would have to wait to get promoted to that higher grade?
2) before I take this job: is it acceptable to ask the hiring officer whether he/she would consider promoting me once that minimum amount of time has passed?
Thanks for your help.

I was hired at a lower grade that what I presently held Federally and they stepped me-I was a 9 step 1 an they brought me in at 7 step 8 to get me. I is actually a bit of a wage freeze for a while but I ended up alright-just got promote this wk to 12-can't complain. I agree with advice given-talk to HR but keep in mind the possibility of being "stepped to round out equivalency". Also it all depends on the vacancy announcement to which you applied and how your scores computed. Not my area there, but I am guessing.

best of luck
Bert  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2008 9:03:59 AM(UTC)
Bert

To answer your questions.

1} You should always ask about promotions and why job is offer at lower rate before you accept the job. Waiting to after you accept the job is to late.
2} There is normualy a one year time in grade requirement before you are alegable for promotion to the next grade.
3) Just because you are qualified for a certain grade does not mean you can get that grade or even that the job is offer at that grade at the location you are at. What grade a job is has a lot to do with where you work.
peretrim  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 25, 2008 11:51:18 AM(UTC)
peretrim

Thanks for the responses. Shani, the promotion potential for this position is one grade higher than what I'm being offered.

I have one more question regarding positions with higher-grade promotion potential: how common is it to promote qualified/deserving employees to the next grade once the time-in-grade has been met?

Thanks again.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed