Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
soupcon  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 25, 2008 1:48:04 PM(UTC)
soupcon

Groups: Registered

I have accepted an offer to switch to a new Federal agency from my current one and have been told by the HR person at the new agency that everything is on track for a transfer (no break in service) from my current agency to the new one.

At the conclusion of my time at the old agency I want to take 2 weeks off for personal (non-medical or family-related) reasons. During that time I would still be on the payroll at the old agency but not at my duty station: I have put in a request for a combination of annual leave and leave without pay (LWOP). No action has been taken on my request yet. I talked briefly with my AO and 2nd line manager this past week. My AO says that what I want to do is an ordinary thing to do and not an unusual or unreasonable request. My 2nd line manager didn't seem to care, but said I need to get my immediate supervisor's approval or I could be considered AWOL.

From what I can tell, it is at my supervisor's discretion to approve or deny my request for LWOP.

What happens if he denies my request and I am thus AWOL for the days I had requested LWOP? Could this jeopardize me in my new position?
edzoboston  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2008 12:45:55 PM(UTC)
edzoboston

I'm doing this too. I was also told this is a routine, normal request and that it is a supervisory decision.

If it denied, I think you can just use your sick time. I would check with your HR people on this. I would also check with the HR people in your new agency to find out how it affects you there. One thing that comes to mind is if you were selected as a status candidate, and how a break in service would affect that.

I think I would avoid an AWOL situation at all costs.
mingchen  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2008 8:02:29 PM(UTC)
mingchen

quote:
Originally posted by soupcon:
I have accepted an offer to switch to a new Federal agency from my current one and have been told by the HR person at the new agency that everything is on track for a transfer (no break in service) from my current agency to the new one.

At the conclusion of my time at the old agency I want to take 2 weeks off for personal (non-medical or family-related) reasons. During that time I would still be on the payroll at the old agency but not at my duty station: I have put in a request for a combination of annual leave and leave without pay (LWOP). No action has been taken on my request yet. I talked briefly with my AO and 2nd line manager this past week. My AO says that what I want to do is an ordinary thing to do and not an unusual or unreasonable request. My 2nd line manager didn't seem to care, but said I need to get my immediate supervisor's approval or I could be considered AWOL.

From what I can tell, it is at my supervisor's discretion to approve or deny my request for LWOP.

What happens if he denies my request and I am thus AWOL for the days I had requested LWOP? Could this jeopardize me in my new position?

I am too changing between agencies now. Wanting to do the same, LWOP, but not sure if my manager will approve it. However, I still would love to know about the negative side of having a break between services? I have been with my agency for 5 years now. Thank you for your input.
hr7002  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2008 9:06:23 AM(UTC)
hr7002

LWOP can have a ripple effect on your career and benefits. Say the max amount of LWOP you're taking is 2 work weeks. That could affect your tenure, if haven't achieved that milestone, if you're out for more than 30 calendar days. Also, you may be responsible for paying your agency your share of health benefits (there maybe a salary advance option, but you're transferring to another agency).
Also, retirement, you're allowed up to 6 months LWOP for creditable service. There are several other impacted areas in the event your LWOP was to become extended; see LWOP Effect for more info.
edzoboston  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2008 11:30:21 AM(UTC)
edzoboston

So what I get from that is that anything less than a 30 day LWOP is negligible.
hr7002  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2008 11:48:52 AM(UTC)
hr7002

quote:
Originally posted by publius:
So what I get from that is that anything less than a 30 day LWOP is negligible.

Yes, with some exceptions to the 30-day rule. The citation for that is 5 CFR315.201 (underneath where it says "page 154")
Rss Feed  Atom Feed