Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
312VET  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 30, 2014 3:21:07 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
So I applied for a position which was for STATUS Candidates only. With the eligibility being Competitive Merit Promotion and Non-Competitive Merit Promotion. I had the option to choose either or both as my eligibility.
I am a current federal employee as well as eligible under VEOA. (Competitive Merit)
I am also a 30% percent vet as well as eligible under VRA. (Non-Competitive Merit)

Like i said i had the option to choose both or just one. As you guessed I choose both to have a better chance. Now my question is who gets referred 1st? those who make the competitive or the non competitive merit or do both have the same chance at being referred?
joy0820  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 30, 2014 4:03:41 PM(UTC)
joy0820

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Generally speaking, we prepare and issue all certs for the same vacancy at the same time. Non comp and comp at the same time and managers pick who they want to interview ...just deepends
WitUSG  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 30, 2014 6:59:06 PM(UTC)
WitUSG

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: joy0820 Go to Quoted Post
Generally speaking, we prepare and issue all certs for the same vacancy at the same time. Non comp and comp at the same time and managers pick who they want to interview ...just deepends

Joy, I like reading your posts. Thanks for lending your expertise. Question on the OP's questions and your response. If someone qualifies for a non-competitive appointment, why would the hiring official, or manager, as you put it, "pick who they want to interview?" I always wanted to understand how "non-competitive" appointments work in context of the actual hiring process.

Thanks.

312VET  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 1, 2014 2:40:27 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Thanks JOY! I would like to go on what the 2nd poster stated why would there be two lists wouldnt the whole "non competitive list" take out those on the competitive list out of the running? Thus truly being you would only be competiting with those on the "non competitive list" instead of both?
joy0820  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 1, 2014 8:00:27 PM(UTC)
joy0820

United States

Originally Posted by: WitUSG Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: joy0820 Go to Quoted Post

Joy, I like reading your posts. Thanks for lending your expertise. Question on the OP's questions and your response. If someone qualifies for a non-competitive appointment, why would the hiring official, or manager, as you put it, "pick who they want to interview?" I always wanted to understand how "non-competitive" appointments work in context of the actual hiring process.

Thanks.

I can only speak from my nameless non defense agency experience. We only recruit government wide (which is current feds and those with special hiring eligibility - Schedule A, Peace Corps etc). I have known managers to hire someone non-competitive 30 percent disabled veteran over a current federal employee. It really depends who is the best fit for the position.

Non-competitive just means you are either at that grade level currently meaning you have held that grade level or you are applying under a special hiring authority.

To answer the interview question, if I have 30 candidates I am not going to interview everyone, mainly those who are the best fit for my position, organization and who have the skills or fit the model I am interested in.
thanks 1 user thanked joy0820 for this useful post.
WitUSG on 12/2/2014(UTC)
joy0820  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 1, 2014 8:03:37 PM(UTC)
joy0820

United States

Originally Posted by: 312VET Go to Quoted Post
Thanks JOY! I would like to go on what the 2nd poster stated why would there be two lists wouldnt the whole "non competitive list" take out those on the competitive list out of the running? Thus truly being you would only be competiting with those on the "non competitive list" instead of both?

Not if its for the same job. Let's say your looking for a pear one list gives you red pears and one list gives you green pears...pick a pear. Same fruit different color.

We issue all the lists to the manager and they can pick the applicants they are interested in. They only have to treat everyone the same...using the same criteria to determine who was interviewed and job related criteria for their selections.
thanks 1 user thanked joy0820 for this useful post.
SD Analyst on 12/4/2014(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed