Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Justice

Voted one of the “Best Places to Work in the Federal Government‚ in 2010, the Department of Justice and its 124,870 employees help lead the nation in ensuring the protection of all Americans while preserving their constitutional freedoms. 
78 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
schenier  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 05, 2015 10:08:33 AM(UTC)
schenier

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm currently an 1810 in another Agency. I work in the field and from home. I can go into the office is much as I want or never. I have a lot of work and a lot of freedom. I like both. I have a take home GOV and creds for field work. Is a diverstion position similar?

I love my current job, but am considering putting in for the diversion position because it goes to a GS 13. My current job maxes at a 12. What kind of training is required for this position? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
thanks 1 user thanked schenier for this useful post.
janetd on 11/9/2016(UTC)
Mike in VT  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 06, 2015 4:26:19 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 51 post(s)
I'm going to guess you're an OPM Investigator? just a guess :)

A lot of the answers are either in the position description and DEA website. There's 12 weeks of training at Quantico. From what I've read, from other posts, you will not be doing work with the 1811s directly. Meaning, you will not go on assignments with them. You will most likely always conduct site compliance inspections with another DI. No badge, no gun. I believe you have to sign a relocation agreement (I could be wrong on this part). I think it's mostly office based work as well. Not familiar with their work at home policy.

Sounds like an interesting job, I may throw my name into the hat.
schenier  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 06, 2015 1:24:51 PM(UTC)
schenier

I am an OPM Investigator. Love the job. I called the local DEA office and asked to speak to a Diversion Investigator. You're right, there are 12 weeks and Quantico, a mobility agreement, and signifigantly more office time. Sounds like a great job, just not something I am willing to do at this point in time.
ASKITISGIVEN  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 06, 2015 2:12:16 PM(UTC)
ASKITISGIVEN

United States

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Schenier: What is the background required for an OPM Investigator position?
contractor  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 06, 2015 6:21:34 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
OPM has an 1810 Gs-13 position currently posted on USAJOBS. It's at Ft. Meade (not sure where you are). Looks like quality assurance and integrity investigations, It would get you that GS-13. By the way, I've heard only good things about being an 1810 for OPM. Does everyone love the job as much as it seems or are there negatives? I come from the contractor side of the house where investigations are always revenue based...
Mike in VT  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 07, 2015 3:56:38 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 51 post(s)
That mobility agreement may keep me from applying. Wish that wasn't in there. :(
schenier  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 07, 2015 1:39:48 PM(UTC)
schenier

The mobility agreement kept me from applying. I'm not in a position to be able to do that right now.

ASKITISGIVEN: Background is all over the place, at least in my office. A few of my co-workers come from a law-enforcement or military background. One came over from the intelligence community. One was an editor for a fashion magazine. I came over from another agency where I had tons of public contact and lots of interviewing experience. I have a B.A. in political science and am working on a Master's. The one common thread in all this is you have to be able to write. You have to be self motivated and do well working on your own.

Contractor: I saw the Ft. Meade position, but I wont take a 13 to triple my housing costs. Most of my co-workers really like the job. I have a few coworkers who dont like it because we dont have enough "teeth", if that makes sense. I have worked some really horrible, thankless jobs in the civil service and this is not one of them. I have nothing but great things to say about the job overall.
contractor  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 07, 2015 4:03:08 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Thanks for the info (and sorry for hijacking your thread!). I have just never met a Fed OPM investigator that didn't love their job. Met plenty of contractors that couldn't stand the work but it seems the Feds have it so much better. And the contractor side of things is just such a complete mess right now. The work itself is fine, it's the extra admin stuff required by the contracting companies that makes it unmanageable.
yinzer1  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 08, 2015 8:14:50 AM(UTC)
yinzer1

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Does anyone know when they assign you to a field office? Is it when you receive your final offer? Or is it the same as the DEA 1811's and you don't know until you're almost done with the academy (so I've heard, anyway)? I know you have to sign a mobility agreement. With many agencies that make you sign such an agreement, the reality is that being forced to move is very unlikely, the agencies just want to make sure they maintain that ability. Is that the case here, or is it common practice to actually relocate people?
GearUp  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, April 08, 2015 1:09:01 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 115 post(s)
I suggest you go over to the DEA Diversion Investigator thread and review all that's been posted there. There is a ton of information available over there.

I can tell you that DI (1801s) candidates are offered their post of duty assignments when they are offered the job and before they go to the academy. The DEA 1811's get their post of duty assignments just before they graduate from the academy.

DEA just had a vacancy announcement in December (reposted in February) under the merit and VEOP systems which they hope to fill a November 2015 academy. The next expected vacancy announcement is due out in June or July and will be an "all sources" announcement. They plan to fill classes starting in 2016 off that and the merit/VEOP announcement. The last announcement in April 2011 was used to fill 5 classes.

DIs spend a lot of time in the field and not tied to their desks. I will say that a lot does depend on the office your assigned to but for the most part DIs are in the field. A DI can't do his/her job sitting at his/her desk. The work is in the field. DIs do have to write reports so they do spend time in the office for that. Due to the nature of the work, the sensitivity of the information, the report writing software and required security DEA hasn't perfected the ability for DIs to work from home to write reports so the DIs have to report to the office to write up their cases. But it definitely isn't an office job.
thanks 2 users thanked for this useful post.
DOC2016 on 9/6/2016(UTC), Pinky145 on 9/20/2016(UTC)
txice  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2015 5:20:15 PM(UTC)

Completed my written and panel earlier this month. All seemed to go well. Awaiting my COE and subsequent med and BI. I applied under the status candidate announcement in 12/14. Anyone else in the process ?
yinzer1  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, July 01, 2015 5:53:10 AM(UTC)
yinzer1

United States

Originally Posted by: txice Go to Quoted Post
Completed my written and panel earlier this month. All seemed to go well. Awaiting my COE and subsequent med and BI. I applied under the status candidate announcement in 12/14. Anyone else in the process ?

I am. Sounds like the same timeline. You say you're awaiting your COE etc., did they tell you that you passed the interview? Mine seemed to go well, but I haven't heard anything either way since. I assume no news is good news, since I probably would have gotten a rejection email by now if I was out of the process.
thanks 1 user thanked yinzer1 for this useful post.
federalbop3 on 11/22/2016(UTC)
txice  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, July 01, 2015 6:21:56 AM(UTC)

They said the COE is the next step. I was told to watch my inbox for the COE, so I assume I passed. Hope the dream sheet is taken into account .
yinzer1  
#14 Posted : Saturday, July 04, 2015 4:13:51 AM(UTC)
yinzer1

United States

I got a "not referred" email a couple days ago, which is weird because I've already taken the test and had the interview. I've never applied to a job where the referral wasn't the first hurdle, I'm hoping this was just an error. Anyone else get a similar email?
GearUp  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, July 08, 2015 7:10:34 AM(UTC)

yinzer1,

Sorry to say but the "not referred" e-mail you received means you didn't pass the interview panel review with a high enough score and your name was "not referred" to the hiring decision panel. You may have passed, but just didn't score high enough. Even if someone passes the interview and is referred to the hiring panel it doesn't mean they will get a COE. The hiring panel reviews the applicant's entire package and only picks the top candidates. Sorry.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
yinzer1 on 7/8/2015(UTC)
yinzer1  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, July 08, 2015 8:33:40 AM(UTC)
yinzer1

United States

Originally Posted by: GearUp Go to Quoted Post
yinzer1,

Sorry to say but the "not referred" e-mail you received means you didn't pass the interview panel review with a high enough score and your name was "not referred" to the hiring decision panel. You may have passed, but just didn't score high enough. Even if someone passes the interview and is referred to the hiring panel it doesn't mean they will get a COE. The hiring panel reviews the applicant's entire package and only picks the top candidates. Sorry.

That's a bummer. I really wanted this one, and I felt pretty good about it. I figured that was the case, but I've never seen a "not referred" email other than after the application (after that, it's usually a "not selected" email). Oh well, thanks for the info.
GF_110611  
#17 Posted : Sunday, July 19, 2015 7:25:54 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
You will get your duty station the day you graduate the academy, (sometimes the day before if you have a good lead instructor) based on the needs of the agency. They do try to keep you as close to home as possible, but from what I understand, if they relocate you, they pay for it. The last thing you want to do is drop out or withdraw based solely on where they assign you. Carefully read what you sign!
GearUp  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2015 11:48:37 AM(UTC)

GF_110611,

DI applicants know their duty station before they attend the academy. When the applicant/selectee is called with a job offer they are given their assignment. DEA Special Agents learn of their duty assignments just before graduation.
DOC 2015  
#19 Posted : Saturday, July 25, 2015 6:51:16 AM(UTC)
DOC 2015

United States

Hi Everyone,

I received a COE in this latest round. I was wondering what type of Medical Exam is performed. Is it a Basic vision & hearing medical overview that's most employers require?
DOC 2015  
#20 Posted : Sunday, July 26, 2015 5:31:16 PM(UTC)
DOC 2015

United States

What's the washout rate for the DI Academy?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed