Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Justice

Voted one of the “Best Places to Work in the Federal Government‚ in 2010, the Department of Justice and its 124,870 employees help lead the nation in ensuring the protection of all Americans while preserving their constitutional freedoms. 
210 Pages«<190191192193194>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Candidate84  
#3821 Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2021 4:15:08 AM(UTC)
Candidate84

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I'm an August 2018 applicant and hoping to get a preference sheet.
Prep  
#3822 Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2021 4:33:37 AM(UTC)
Prep

United States

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Originally Posted by: agent05 Go to Quoted Post
Based on the most recent announcement now requiring a polygraph and based on the wording in the new preference sheets asking about foreign language proficiency/ LEO experience/ Investigative experience... I have a strong gut feeling that this position will be reclassified to an 1811 or 1810 series and will be a covered position one day. The opiod crisis is too big and now on the internet as well that there has to be a reason for these subtle changes.... back in the early 90's they had tried to change the series to 1811 and or a 1801 covered position but there just wasn't enough data to back up the change. Fast forward 20+ years and I think that is about to happen gents.

Good Morning!

Do you think this means if we have neither foreign language nor LEO/Investigative experience then we won’t be considered? I’m concerned because I have none of that nor were those qualifications listed in the announcement I applied under (August 2018). I’ve completed everything and in the BI process now (for over a year now).
CrypticTemplar  
#3823 Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2021 5:16:14 AM(UTC)
CrypticTemplar

United States

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Prep Go to Quoted Post
Based on the most recent announcement now requiring a polygraph and based on the wording in the new preference sheets asking about foreign language proficiency/ LEO experience/ Investigative experience... I have a strong gut feeling that this position will be reclassified to an 1811 or 1810 series and will be a covered position one day. The opiod crisis is too big and now on the internet as well that there has to be a reason for these subtle changes.... back in the early 90's they had tried to change the series to 1811 and or a 1801 covered position but there just wasn't enough data to back up the change. Fast forward 20+ years and I think that is about to happen gents.

Good Morning!

Do you think this means if we have neither foreign language nor LEO/Investigative experience then we won’t be considered? I’m concerned because I have none of that nor were those qualifications listed in the announcement I applied under (August 2018). I’ve completed everything and in the BI process now (for over a year now).

If it wasn't a requirement when you applied, they can't hold it against you. Just like how the new posting requires a polygraph. If you applied prior to that becoming a requirement, you don't have to do it
thanks 1 user thanked CrypticTemplar for this useful post.
Candidate84 on 3/10/2021(UTC)
GearUp  
#3824 Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2021 5:49:01 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 695 time(s) in 232 post(s)
CrypticTemplar is correct. If the "new requirements/qualifications" weren't listed in the announcement you applied under then they can't now make it a qualification or requirement for hire. Those "qualifications" may or may not be listed in future announcements like the polygraph is.

Ref Agent05's gut feeling about the DI being reclassified under 1811 or 1810. DIs were at one time 1810s. They were reclassified to 1801 to better describe the work they do. If there is a move afoot to reclassify to 1811 I haven't heard. And IF they are planning to do it it'll take them a lot longer than 3 or 4 years to do it. Think about it - if the hiring process takes as long as it does, what makes you think the reclassifying of a job series will be any faster? They have to work out how to handle all those who are to old to reclassify. How would they classify someone hired for the upcoming class who is 39 or 40 years old when the mandatory retirement age for 1811s is 57? Would you want to continue in a job where a 23 year old is hired on as a 1811 getting "availability pay" (which counts toward retirement), who carries a gun and can retire at 57 when you hired on at 39 and can't get the same consideration. Both doing the same exact job. How would you feel when he or she is pulled to work an "enforcement" case while you have to continue on the regulatory case? It's not going to happen overnight. When the Diversion program first started 1811s did the job. They hated it and fought against doing it. It wasn't what they signed on to do. They effectively argued that their skills were being wasted on regulatory/compliance cases while the "war on drugs" raged. The 1810 series of "Compliance Investigators" was added to the agency. When the job evolved DEA converted the 1810s to 1801s because the 1801 job series better fit the type of work we do. Please don't misunderstand - it could happen. It may very well happen. I just don't see it happening in the near future. I don't see it happening in less than 5+ years. Those in the pipeline who are currently 6c covered - you can't hang your hat on a "maybe". It's a tough decision to make jumping from a covered position to a non-covered position. You need to weigh all the pros and cons and think long and hard about what it is you want out of your career and life. I wish everyone good luck. Stay safe and stay healthy.
thanks 4 users thanked for this useful post.
CrypticTemplar on 3/10/2021(UTC), Vjurado on 3/10/2021(UTC), Candidate84 on 3/10/2021(UTC), CaitieMFT on 3/16/2021(UTC)
Prep  
#3825 Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2021 6:36:53 AM(UTC)
Prep

United States

Thank you both!

I guess my concern is them using that as a reason not to assign me to a class. Having that experience may just be an exception now, but will it become the norm, thus justifying them not ever selecting me for a class? I have enough years of Federal service under my belt and have witnessed exceptions becoming norms in order for Agencies to get what they need/want. I’m not saying DEA is like that, and I know they have needs (as they should!), but it’s not uncommon, per my experience. I am trying to look at this from all angles and perspectives, but I must be honest that a whole bunch of red flags went up when I saw this was on these Preference Sheets. Bad habit of mine? Mmmm, I guess that’s subjective, but again, it is definitely based on many years of experience and observations.

I won’t bring this up again but would like some thoughts from y’all on this.

Thank you!
agent05  
#3826 Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2021 6:42:08 AM(UTC)
agent05

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I have no clue what you said but I will say that I've seen crazier things happen within the G. Just apply, forget about it, work hard at your current position and when the time comes to cross that bridge..evaluate evaluate and choose.

Thank you both!

I guess my concern is them using that as a reason not to assign me to a class. Having that experience may just be an exception now, but will it become the norm, thus justifying them not ever selecting me for a class? I have enough years of Federal service under my belt and have witnessed exceptions becoming norms in order for Agencies to get what they need/want. I’m not saying DEA is like that, and I know they have needs (as they should!), but it’s not uncommon, per my experience. I am trying to look at this from all angles and perspectives, but I must be honest that a whole bunch of red flags went up when I saw this was on these Preference Sheets. Bad habit of mine? Mmmm, I guess that’s subjective, but again, it is definitely based on many years of experience and observations.

I won’t bring this up again but would like some thoughts from y’all on this.

Thank you!

thanks 1 user thanked agent05 for this useful post.
Prep on 3/10/2021(UTC)
luckydevil  
#3827 Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2021 11:11:10 AM(UTC)
luckydevil

United States

Was thanked: 165 time(s) in 129 post(s)
Any one send back their preference sheet this morning and not get confirmation it was received? Happened to me last time too lol I sent it to the main HR email address and politely asked for confirmation so wondering if they aren’t in the office today or somehow mine got missed again 😂
CrypticTemplar  
#3828 Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2021 11:22:03 AM(UTC)
CrypticTemplar

United States

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: luckydevil Go to Quoted Post
Any one send back their preference sheet this morning and not get confirmation it was received? Happened to me last time too lol I sent it to the main HR email address and politely asked for confirmation so wondering if they aren’t in the office today or somehow mine got missed again 😂

I just send and forget it. They don't typically reply
luckydevil  
#3829 Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2021 11:29:11 AM(UTC)
luckydevil

United States

Originally Posted by: CrypticTemplar Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: luckydevil Go to Quoted Post

I just send and forget it. They don't typically reply

They usually always confirm with me receipt but thanks that makes me feel better then lol. Last time they did end up confirming receipt two days later so maybe tomorrow. Otherwise I won’t worry lol.
stimpy729  
#3830 Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2021 4:43:35 PM(UTC)
stimpy729

United States

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 34 post(s)

Good Morning!

When you finally get to the academy you fill out a profile sheet where you can update foreign language skills. My resume reflects I was a Hispanic studies minor and that I previously worked In Spanish auto claims. I do not claim any current language skills and I hadn’t worked for 4 years at the time I originally applied for this job. I think it really depends on needs of the agency for location needs and how fast you get cleared or if you have a reciprocal clearance that can be used..

Seriously, don’t stress :) just be open to moving and you might get placed quicker.
Raven305  
#3831 Posted : Thursday, March 11, 2021 7:33:27 AM(UTC)
Raven305

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Preference sheet came this morning
luckydevil  
#3832 Posted : Thursday, March 11, 2021 7:44:29 AM(UTC)
luckydevil

United States

Originally Posted by: CharlesW0513 Go to Quoted Post

Congrats!
agent05  
#3833 Posted : Thursday, March 11, 2021 9:18:55 AM(UTC)
agent05

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)

Charles what announcement did you come from?
Vjurado  
#3834 Posted : Thursday, March 11, 2021 9:37:26 AM(UTC)
Vjurado

United States

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 44 post(s)

Congratulations
Raven305  
#3835 Posted : Thursday, March 11, 2021 9:40:11 AM(UTC)
Raven305

Charles what announcement did you come from?

August 2018. This will be my second turned in preference sheet.
Raven305  
#3836 Posted : Thursday, March 11, 2021 12:20:12 PM(UTC)
Raven305

I definitely am making sure majority of my locations are the mandatory ones. I’m tryna get in this next class lol.
Vjurado  
#3837 Posted : Thursday, March 11, 2021 1:00:29 PM(UTC)
Vjurado

United States

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 44 post(s)
I definitely am making sure majority of my locations are the mandatory ones. I’m tryna get in this next class lol.

Fingers, eyes, and toes crossed for you! Congratulations, again!
Candidate84  
#3838 Posted : Friday, March 12, 2021 8:02:25 AM(UTC)
Candidate84

United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Just checking...my background has been pending for 1 year. Is this unusually long?
luckydevil  
#3839 Posted : Friday, March 12, 2021 8:07:30 AM(UTC)
luckydevil

United States

Originally Posted by: Candidate84 Go to Quoted Post
Just checking...my background has been pending for 1 year. Is this unusually long?

Unfortunately, it is not unusually long in general for backgrounds. My applicant group I would say the average was around 9 months but that was back in 2018 that we probably all went through them. I know a bunch of people currently at the year mark for background with other agencies. My guess is with covid there is probably a backlog from the past year.
thanks 1 user thanked luckydevil for this useful post.
Candidate84 on 3/12/2021(UTC)
Prep  
#3840 Posted : Friday, March 12, 2021 8:30:25 AM(UTC)
Prep

United States

Originally Posted by: Candidate84 Go to Quoted Post

Mine has been pending exactly one year.
thanks 1 user thanked Prep for this useful post.
Candidate84 on 3/12/2021(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed