Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Justice

Voted one of the “Best Places to Work in the Federal Government‚ in 2010, the Department of Justice and its 124,870 employees help lead the nation in ensuring the protection of all Americans while preserving their constitutional freedoms. 
210 Pages«<198199200201202>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SoLa  
#3981 Posted : Saturday, May 15, 2021 10:04:38 AM(UTC)
swill

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
They said we had to choose an orange locality within our top four picks and a second orange locality somewhere within our seven picks, so we all had to put at least two orange localities down on our preference sheet.
DragonDuke  
#3982 Posted : Saturday, May 15, 2021 12:20:39 PM(UTC)
DragonDuke

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: SoLa Go to Quoted Post
They said we had to choose an orange locality within our top four picks and a second orange locality somewhere within our seven picks, so we all had to put at least two orange localities down on our preference sheet.

Yep, I did the same with my SF86c but I was wondering whether or not the people who did receive offers just checked off all orange locations to maximize their chances or just chose a couple. I thought it might give us some insight as to what they're thinking.
thanks 1 user thanked DragonDuke for this useful post.
Vjurado on 5/15/2021(UTC)
SoLa  
#3983 Posted : Saturday, May 15, 2021 12:46:09 PM(UTC)
swill

United States

Originally Posted by: DragonDuke Go to Quoted Post

Yep, I did the same with my SF86c but I was wondering whether or not the people who did receive offers just checked off all orange locations to maximize their chances or just chose a couple. I thought it might give us some insight as to what they're thinking.

Sorry. Good question. I'm wondering the same thing.
Raven305  
#3984 Posted : Saturday, May 15, 2021 1:39:59 PM(UTC)
Raven305

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 22 post(s)

I chose 4 orange cities out of my 7. Three out of the first four were orange. My top pick was the furthest one from me currently, out on the west coast. I chose it thinking there was no way they were gonna send me there and...lets just say that backfired lol.
thanks 5 users thanked Raven305 for this useful post.
luckydevil on 5/15/2021(UTC), DragonDuke on 5/15/2021(UTC), Vjurado on 5/15/2021(UTC), rcbustam on 5/16/2021(UTC), SATXNez on 5/17/2021(UTC)
Aguir116  
#3985 Posted : Sunday, May 16, 2021 1:11:35 PM(UTC)
Aguir116

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Long time reader, first time responding.

I applied in August 2018 and received a call Friday morning. I also chose 4 orange cities, first choice being my overall top choice and an orange one. They called and offered my first choice. I had some stipulations to accepting the position in regards to step level, not GS level which the woman I spoke to said they should be able to work with my step level. I accepted the position and will follow up to ensure the GS/Step is finalized.
thanks 3 users thanked Aguir116 for this useful post.
DragonDuke on 5/16/2021(UTC), Vjurado on 5/16/2021(UTC), SATXNez on 5/17/2021(UTC)
luckydevil  
#3986 Posted : Sunday, May 16, 2021 1:13:58 PM(UTC)
luckydevil

United States

Was thanked: 165 time(s) in 129 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Aguir116 Go to Quoted Post

I applied in August 2018 and received a call Friday morning. I also chose 4 orange cities, first choice being my overall top choice and an orange one. They called and offered my first choice. I had some stipulations to accepting the position in regards to step level, not GS level which the woman I spoke to said they should be able to work with my step level. I accepted the position and will follow up to ensure the GS/Step is finalized.

Congrats!!
Vjurado  
#3987 Posted : Sunday, May 16, 2021 2:42:10 PM(UTC)
Vjurado

United States

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 44 post(s)

Congratulations!

Vjurado  
#3988 Posted : Sunday, May 16, 2021 2:43:26 PM(UTC)
Vjurado

United States

For those from 8/18 group:how many preference sheets have you submitted prior to getting the call?
Still waiting for a preference sheet :-(
Prep  
#3989 Posted : Monday, May 17, 2021 2:11:38 AM(UTC)
Prep

United States

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Originally Posted by: luckydevil Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: SATXNez Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Prep Go to Quoted Post
I got my call a few hours ago as well. Got some things to think about.

FYI...I did not get my first choice. The location I got was my #3 choice, and it was one of the "orange cities".

Congratulations!

For those that have gotten the call...How long do you have to think about the offer/location and get back with your answer?

I asked one of them and they said 4 days.

I was given 4 days. She even asked me if I wanted time to think about it, which I thought was very considerate.

Edited by user Monday, May 17, 2021 3:07:44 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Clarity

thanks 1 user thanked Prep for this useful post.
SATXNez on 5/17/2021(UTC)
Prep  
#3990 Posted : Monday, May 17, 2021 2:14:20 AM(UTC)
Prep

United States

I did not get my first or second choice. I did get my 3rd choice which was an orange city, so it does look like they are filling orange cities first.

Edited by user Monday, May 17, 2021 2:56:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Prep  
#3991 Posted : Monday, May 17, 2021 2:17:02 AM(UTC)
Prep

United States

Just to recap: Did anyone who got the call get their first choice? Did you only choose "Orange" locations?

Also, when do you have to report to Quantico? Is it a few days before the start of the class?

A Big Congratulations to all those who have received offers! I know so many of us have been going through this process so long and it's good to see it paying off.

I did not get a "report date"-just a date when class starts. She said someone from training would be contacting me later to provide all the info relating to training. She didn't say when they would contact me nor give me a timeframe.
SATXNez  
#3992 Posted : Monday, May 17, 2021 3:26:57 AM(UTC)
SATXNez

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Vjurado Go to Quoted Post
For those from 8/18 group:how many preference sheets have you submitted prior to getting the call?
Still waiting for a preference sheet :-(

This was my first (and hopefully the only) preference sheet
thanks 1 user thanked SATXNez for this useful post.
Vjurado on 5/17/2021(UTC)
AZShadowStorm  
#3993 Posted : Monday, May 17, 2021 3:34:13 AM(UTC)
AZShadowStorm

United States

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Just to recap: Did anyone who got the call get their first choice? Did you only choose "Orange" locations?

Also, when do you have to report to Quantico? Is it a few days before the start of the class?

A Big Congratulations to all those who have received offers! I know so many of us have been going through this process so long and it's good to see it paying off.

You’ll get a cable dealing with the when, where, and how of the academy. This may come a few weeks or a few days before the start of the academy. It will give you the information regarding travel to the DC area and then how to get to the academy. The cable will also give you a basic idea what to bring and what not to bring.

Someone from Diversion training will call you when the class date gets closer. I’m not sure what they ask now, when I got mine they asked me if I booked my flight and what size I would need for the academy uniform. It’s also a time to ask them questions if you have any before going to the academy.

I do recommend getting in contact with someone who has been to the academy because they can recommend other things to bring that may not be covered in the cable.

Typically there will be a travel day, which is essentially the report date (ie: the first Monday of the pay period). This will allow most students to get to the academy in time for the start of class.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
thanks 4 users thanked AZShadowStorm for this useful post.
Vjurado on 5/17/2021(UTC), SATXNez on 5/17/2021(UTC), luckydevil on 5/17/2021(UTC), AFerg85 on 5/17/2021(UTC)
GearUp  
#3994 Posted : Monday, May 17, 2021 5:43:59 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 695 time(s) in 232 post(s)
To follow-up on AZShadowStorm's post:

Pay close attention to the items they tell you NOT to bring. If its prohibited DON'T BRING IT!!! You may outsmart them. But then again, you may not. Don't start off your career on a bad note. A big no-no - weapons! Don't bring any weapons (especially firearms). Don't bring or have it in your car even if authorized to drive. You will be on a military installation and must follow the USMC's rules as well as DOJ, FBI and DEA rules. Being a DEA employee does not exempt you from the USMC regulations. You can bring a small pocket knife.

I highly recommend you talk with the Counselor who calls you and get all your questions clarified before you arrive.

In addition to the items spelled out in your reporting instructions, I recommend you bring (but don't overpack - you have limited storage space):
Hangers
A small power strip
A small extension cord
An alarm clock (only one per room)
If you like a certain type of pillow, bring it. Bed linen, pillows and towels are provided.

Also, follow the reporting instructions closely on what you should and need to bring. Some items include:
Bank account numbers - for direct deposit
SSA card
Birth Certificate
Extra pair of eyeglasses or plenty of contact lenses
Prescription medication. **Not in the instructions: If you need meds refrigerated let your counselor know in advance so arrangements can be made for a small fridge to be put in your room.
Make sure your drivers license doesn't expire while in training

If I think of anything else I post later. If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask - on the open forum or in private. I'll do my best to answer. The best source of information are recent graduates. I ask that they post their experience and recommendations.

Thanks and good luck to all.

thanks 4 users thanked for this useful post.
SATXNez on 5/17/2021(UTC), Vjurado on 5/17/2021(UTC), luckydevil on 5/17/2021(UTC), AFerg85 on 5/17/2021(UTC)
stimpy729  
#3995 Posted : Monday, May 17, 2021 7:17:52 AM(UTC)
stimpy729

United States

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 34 post(s)
You will likely be covid tested prior to going to the Academy and once you get there. There might be an initial 2 week quarantine but then you will probably get assigned a roommate. Don’t be surprised if there are daily temp checks. Don’t bring a lot of extra stuff as you won’t need it. Excess baggage fees are expensive. There is a small store at the Academy where you can buy random things. I don’t know what the washing machine situation is like at Quantico but bring quarters in case it’s coin operated only. You will need a week’s worth of business casual, a couple of suits, and a few dress shirts. As for brown shoes, any brown shoe works, so don’t stress over what kind to purchase. The current instructors there are great. Be mindful of the chain of command and do not break it. You will get last minute instructions for everything. Don’t expect to book any kind of travel more than 2 weeks out and a separate travel cable will be sent with instructions on how to arrive and when. My biggest advice—don’t accept the job if you aren’t happy with the location they offer you. The mobility agreement is real and they enforce it. If you are able to negotiate location/pay, do it in advance of accepting the job offer. Congrats to all those in BDI 56 =)
thanks 4 users thanked stimpy729 for this useful post.
luckydevil on 5/17/2021(UTC), AFerg85 on 5/17/2021(UTC), Vjurado on 5/17/2021(UTC), SATXNez on 5/17/2021(UTC)
SATXNez  
#3996 Posted : Monday, May 17, 2021 1:27:47 PM(UTC)
SATXNez

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: stimpy729 Go to Quoted Post
You will likely be covid tested prior to going to the Academy and once you get there. There might be an initial 2 week quarantine but then you will probably get assigned a roommate. Don’t be surprised if there are daily temp checks. Don’t bring a lot of extra stuff as you won’t need it. Excess baggage fees are expensive. There is a small store at the Academy where you can buy random things. I don’t know what the washing machine situation is like at Quantico but bring quarters in case it’s coin operated only. You will need a week’s worth of business casual, a couple of suits, and a few dress shirts. As for brown shoes, any brown shoe works, so don’t stress over what kind to purchase. The current instructors there are great. Be mindful of the chain of command and do not break it. You will get last minute instructions for everything. Don’t expect to book any kind of travel more than 2 weeks out and a separate travel cable will be sent with instructions on how to arrive and when. My biggest advice—don’t accept the job if you aren’t happy with the location they offer you. The mobility agreement is real and they enforce it. If you are able to negotiate location/pay, do it in advance of accepting the job offer. Congrats to all those in BDI 56 =)

Originally Posted by: AZShadowStorm Go to Quoted Post

You’ll get a cable dealing with the when, where, and how of the academy. This may come a few weeks or a few days before the start of the academy. It will give you the information regarding travel to the DC area and then how to get to the academy. The cable will also give you a basic idea what to bring and what not to bring.

Someone from Diversion training will call you when the class date gets closer. I’m not sure what they ask now, when I got mine they asked me if I booked my flight and what size I would need for the academy uniform. It’s also a time to ask them questions if you have any before going to the academy.

I do recommend getting in contact with someone who has been to the academy because they can recommend other things to bring that may not be covered in the cable.

Typically there will be a travel day, which is essentially the report date (ie: the first Monday of the pay period). This will allow most students to get to the academy in time for the start of class.

What is this cable you and Stimpy729 speak of? You mean an email?

Vjurado  
#3997 Posted : Monday, May 17, 2021 1:54:23 PM(UTC)
Vjurado

United States

Yes...

"The distinction is a little blurry, but emails are private communications between addressees, whereas cables are important messages accessible to many people with appropriate security clearance. They also get saved onto a database, with varying degrees of secrecy."

Edited by user Monday, May 17, 2021 1:55:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Vjurado for this useful post.
AFerg85 on 5/17/2021(UTC), SATXNez on 5/18/2021(UTC)
AZShadowStorm  
#3998 Posted : Monday, May 17, 2021 3:17:25 PM(UTC)
AZShadowStorm

United States

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Vjurado Go to Quoted Post

Yes...

"The distinction is a little blurry, but emails are private communications between addressees, whereas cables are important messages accessible to many people with appropriate security clearance. They also get saved onto a database, with varying degrees of secrecy."

The cable is sent to all the students of the class. It’ll tell you when and where class is, a basic explanation of what to bring/not to bring, and how to arrange travel to the academy.
thanks 2 users thanked AZShadowStorm for this useful post.
Vjurado on 5/17/2021(UTC), SATXNez on 5/18/2021(UTC)
SoLa  
#3999 Posted : Tuesday, May 18, 2021 2:45:08 AM(UTC)
swill

United States

Do you mind sharing if you are a current Fed employee?
thanks 2 users thanked swill for this useful post.
SATXNez on 5/18/2021(UTC), Vjurado on 5/18/2021(UTC)
Aguir116  
#4000 Posted : Tuesday, May 18, 2021 11:52:38 AM(UTC)
Aguir116

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Do you mind sharing if you are a current Fed employee?

I am currently a federal employee with DOJ.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed