Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hurlinjoe  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 12:33:42 AM(UTC)
hurlinjoe

Groups: Registered

I am a WS-10/2 maintenance mechanic supervisor and lately I here talk about A 76 (contracting out), I am very concerned about this, so I’ve been applying for other jobs that are related to my PO in the GS pay schedule. I’ve been offered one that is perfect at GS11, but because I am in a different pay scale will they have to give me the same or increase the steps to match the salary that I get now as a WS-10 step 2. Or do I have to start at a GS11 step 1.
martyb  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 1:03:21 AM(UTC)
martyb

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I recently went from WG-11/5 to GS-11/2. I got a small raise of approx. $1000. You will most likely get whatever the step equivalent is that would give you at least a raise. From what I can tell, it seems that if you are going from the FWS system to GS, then the 2 step rule that applies to GS employees who are promoted within that system does not apply. Looks like any raise of any amount is the norm. May be some differences among agencies, I dunno. That's how it worked for me.
Forum trolls to 0%
HR Spec 5613  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 2:21:15 AM(UTC)
HR Spec 5613

I agree with martyb.

When moving to the GS pay system from another pay system, the norm is to set pay at the first step on the GS scale that equals or exceeds your current salary.
Brothaman  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 12:46:50 PM(UTC)
Brothaman

I think that's what confusing, it's a promotion....but not like we think. It does not include locality pay.

WS10-5 (DC) 75K annual
GS 12-10 (base) 75K annual, add locality its 90K annually, you don't get the locality pay.....unless management says so.
HR Spec 5613  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 1:23:09 PM(UTC)
HR Spec 5613

That may be a little misleading. According to 5 CFR 531.221, "When an employee moves from an FWS job or a Postal Service job, to a GS position pay may be set using the GS maximum payable rate (MPR) rules, following the local pay-setting policy. Under the GS MPR rules, the employee’s pay may be set at any rate of the new grade which is lower than, equal to, or greater than, the employee’s highest previous rate."

Any movement from FWS jobs to GS must use locality tables, since FWS jobs have locality pay built in to the salary.

In your example,

WS10-5 (DC): $35.82 x 2087 = $74,756
GS-12 (DCB): step 3 is $74,416, step 5 is $76,742.

The highest pay can be set is GS-12 step 5. Depending on local pay setting policy, it can also be set at steps 1 through 4.
martyb  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2008 9:44:35 PM(UTC)
martyb

That seems right. In my case, locality pay was included in the final calculations.
Forum trolls to 0%
Out of the Hole  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 10:07:57 AM(UTC)
Out of the Hole

Hi all,
I am currently in an excepted service FWS position. I qualify for status under VEOA and have been selected for a competitive GS-11 with another agency in the same city/geographical area (RUS). My current and highest rate is 31.61. I figure an offer of step 7 will come soon. Any input to confirm or debunk my calculation is welcome.
TIA
Knight  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 10:29:32 AM(UTC)
Knight

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
http://www.opm.gov/oca/09tables/indexGS.asp

But I am not 100% sure. I have never met anyone that went WS to GS. BUt if they are not going ot pay you less then current wages that is the ballpark.

But let us know once you get the numbers.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed