Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LWJGLOBAL  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2008 8:00:31 PM(UTC)
LWJGLOBAL

Groups: Registered

What regulation governs lateral transfers of federal employees? I wish to know if the losing agency has any authority to retain the transfering employee for a specific amount of time after the employee has accepted a position with another agency? Thanks!
dburger  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2008 8:30:43 PM(UTC)
dburger

It is my understanding that if the employee is making a lateral move, the agency can retain the employee for up to 30 days. If they are moving to a position that is essentially a higher grade/promotion, they are limited to two weeks.
nellie2  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2008 11:02:29 PM(UTC)
nellie2

It used to be 30 days, but I've been out of the staffing business for a while.

However, I remember having a problem with a losing agency wanting to hang onto an employee for 3 months before releasing her to our agency. After talking to the woman (who did not want the delay), I advised the personnel office at the losing agency that they could keep her up to the 30 days, but if they tried to stall beyond that, she was going to resign on a Friday and we'd pick her up effective the following Monday (that way there wouldn't be a break in service). They released her within 30 days.

Hope this helps!
mrj1412  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 01, 2008 3:50:50 AM(UTC)
mrj1412

ao is correct...I just did a lateral transfer (also defined as being within the same payband) and the longest the losing agency can hold onto you is 30 days. Hopefully, they'll wish you well and let you go within two weeks.
adamstbj  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2008 12:38:54 AM(UTC)
adamstbj

Does anyone have info on the specifics of how this is done? I am trying to do this right now and I was told by HR that I would have to apply to a job announcement from the other agency first? Is this true? Any information that you could provide would be helpful.
nellie2  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2008 3:55:38 AM(UTC)
nellie2

Transfers are usually the results of employees employed by one agency applying for, and being selected, for a position with another agency.

They can also result from an employee simply being offered a position with another agency, but the position wouldn't be at a higher grade level than previously held by the employee. The latter is somewhat unusual - but if you know someone in good standing at another agency who could recommend you for an open position there, it's not impossible. Timing and who you know are the keys.

Good luck!
mrj1412  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 14, 2008 1:46:42 AM(UTC)
mrj1412

nellie hit the most important point...it's all about "who" you know. Hopefully, you have someone on the other end that knows you and wants you to work for them...otherwise it'll be a "hard sell" trying to justify why the gov should pay to move you...whereby, keeping in the regular pool with everyone else...applying through regular channels and hoping to make the list.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed