Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Employees: You be the Judge

Get real-life reviews of key court cases involving federal employees. Share your opinion on the outcomes of these cases, or participate in other discussions about workplace issues that may impact your job.

Be civil when debating with others in the forum. Uncivil remarks toward any other forum member is prohibited on FederalSoup and should be reported immediately.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
33years_here  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 7, 2015 1:11:21 PM(UTC)
33years_here

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Any recommended reading on how to determine financial damages for humiliation and enduring a hostile work environment that was created because I disclosed my disability?
Navy Bubblehead  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2015 8:54:01 AM(UTC)
Navy Bubblehead

Was thanked: 122 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Chirp, chirp, Chirp, chirp
33years_here  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2015 2:35:42 PM(UTC)
33years_here

United States

Not sure what you mean by that. Can you explain?

Edited by user Thursday, April 9, 2015 2:39:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Spelling. I couldn't stand it.

GWPDA  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2015 2:58:04 PM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 605 time(s) in 495 post(s)
Forensic accountants make these calculations all the time. You have to monetize what happened. Humiliation that prevented you from functioning in your job? That's the equivalent of the job's value. Hostile work environment? That's a situation that prevented you from doing your job = how much the job paid. You get the drift. These sums are awarded regularly and you can get a good idea of what they are by running net searches on such items as "financial damages".....
thanks 1 user thanked GWPDA for this useful post.
33years_here on 4/9/2015(UTC)
33years_here  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2015 9:25:17 PM(UTC)
33years_here

United States

Wow. That's going to be a lot more than I've even considered. I just want them to either accommodate me or put me on disability & pay my attorney fees. Of course, they've refused to do anything at all, so I guess I have to take stock of all the "financial damages."

Thanks for the help.
Knight  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 11, 2015 1:32:12 PM(UTC)

Man

Was thanked: 478 time(s) in 395 post(s)
Harsh facts about to be flung about. Are you getting paid right now? If so what damages are there? Humiliation and hostile work environment aside, what damages do you have? You need to grieve the issues at hand (Humiliation and hostile work environment) but I don't see any cash/back pay settlement in the deal unless you are unable ot work and they are not paying you.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
33years_here on 4/14/2015(UTC)
33years_here  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 12, 2015 8:55:14 AM(UTC)
33years_here

United States

Yea, the purely financial damages are very easy to calculate & explain. Monetizing intangibles is the hard part.
Navy Bubblehead  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 13, 2015 7:28:03 AM(UTC)
Navy Bubblehead

Yeah, how do you monetize getting your feelings hurt? Answer: you don't. you move on with your life and get over it.
33years_here  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 13, 2015 8:12:56 AM(UTC)
33years_here

United States

I wonder if Congress realized that's all that needed to be said in the ADA. "Disabled people who have been humiliated in the workplace because of their disabilities just need to just get over it and get on with their lives." Did you explain it to them?
Navy Bubblehead  
#10 Posted : Monday, April 13, 2015 9:18:26 AM(UTC)
Navy Bubblehead

Originally Posted by: 33years_here Go to Quoted Post
I wonder if Congress realized that's all that needed to be said in the ADA. "Disabled people who have been humiliated in the workplace because of their disabilities just need to just get over it and get on with their lives." Did you explain it to them?

This is a workplace, not kindergarten. If you felt "humiliated", then that was your reaction to whatever happened (which you have not mentioned). Most adults today have dealt with people with disabilities of some sort for most of their lives, so seeing/working with someone with a disability isn't anything new.

You stated in you original post that all this started when you "revealed" your disability. So, I take it this isn't something that is readily apparent (ie. missing limb, wheelchair bound, blindness, etc). So what would this disability be that had to be "revealed" and why did you choose to reveal it when you did?

33years_here  
#11 Posted : Monday, April 13, 2015 9:23:20 AM(UTC)
33years_here

United States

I hate to leave this thread without posting some helpful links.
This one is posted by a law firm, so user beware, but it does discuss what courts have found appropriate in certain cases:
http://www.joshbowerslaw...cisions-over-100,000.pdf

More to follow. Might as well share the info I find in case anyone else comes looking.
Navy Bubblehead  
#12 Posted : Monday, April 13, 2015 10:16:28 AM(UTC)
Navy Bubblehead

I hate to leave this thread without posting some helpful links.
This one is posted by a law firm, so user beware, but it does discuss what courts have found appropriate in certain cases:
http://www.joshbowerslaw...cisions-over-100,000.pdf

More to follow. Might as well share the info I find in case anyone else comes looking.

Actually, you have posted nothing useful. The only thing you have posted is that out of the blue, you had to disclose a disability, and now you want to sue your employer for what you perceive to be humiliation and hostile work environment.

Hard for anyone to help with no details.
33years_here  
#13 Posted : Monday, April 13, 2015 10:25:19 AM(UTC)
33years_here

United States

Here is another helpful link on damages. This one has some really great info if your Agency is trying to claim that their damages are limited by a pre-existing condition.

http://www.eeotraining.e...ov/images/content/2G.pdf
thanks 1 user thanked 33years_here for this useful post.
Trumpspade on 4/27/2015(UTC)
mudpie  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, April 15, 2015 9:39:25 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 98 time(s) in 90 post(s)
Expect a multi-year vertically challenged fight that will drain your wallet. I have a neighbor going on 4 years even though the Agency agreed, but still no settlement.
33years_here on 4/15/2015(UTC)
Yooper  
#15 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2015 3:36:47 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Did you incur medical costs to seek out help for your troubling work situation? I would add that.
33years_here on 4/20/2015(UTC)
33years_here  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, March 23, 2022 12:55:00 PM(UTC)
33years_here

United States

Originally Posted by: Knight Go to Quoted Post
Harsh facts about to be flung about. Are you getting paid right now? If so what damages are there? Humiliation and hostile work environment aside, what damages do you have? You need to grieve the issues at hand (Humiliation and hostile work environment) but I don't see any cash/back pay settlement in the deal unless you are unable ot work and they are not paying you.

"Harsh Facts" Updated:

1. I won & got $100,000, plus attorney fees for my NON-PECUNIARY LOSS, plus the $800 in PECUNIARY LOSSES.
2. Agency also paid around $200,000 in MY attorney fees.
3. The Agency should have reasonably accommodated me.

33years_here  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, March 23, 2022 12:59:59 PM(UTC)
33years_here

United States

Originally Posted by: Navy Bubblehead Go to Quoted Post
Yeah, how do you monetize getting your feelings hurt? Answer: you don't. you move on with your life and get over it.

Actually, you can. I did. AND my Agency paid me $100,000 for my "hurt feelings."

For EMPLOYEES who may be looking for information about how to assess your losses, check this out:
https://www.eeoc.gov/fed...tive/chapter-11-remedies
33years_here  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, March 23, 2022 1:01:38 PM(UTC)
33years_here

United States

This is a workplace, not kindergarten. If you felt "humiliated", then that was your reaction to whatever happened (which you have not mentioned). Most adults today have dealt with people with disabilities of some sort for most of their lives, so seeing/working with someone with a disability isn't anything new.

You stated in you original post that all this started when you "revealed" your disability. So, I take it this isn't something that is readily apparent (ie. missing limb, wheelchair bound, blindness, etc). So what would this disability be that had to be "revealed" and why did you choose to reveal it when you did?

Except I won $100K despite your opinion. So there's that...
Navy Bubblehead  
#19 Posted : Thursday, March 24, 2022 4:58:25 AM(UTC)
Navy Bubblehead

Except I won $100K despite your opinion. So there's that...

Seven years of litigation. Did you win? Or did they decide it was just cheaper to pay you and make you go away.
GWPDA  
#20 Posted : Thursday, March 24, 2022 6:06:42 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 605 time(s) in 495 post(s)
When an Agency pays attorney costs they're not paying to make the case go away. And seven years is pretty swift in EEOC world - mine took slightly more than twelve years.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed