Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jdc  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2015 8:26:44 PM(UTC)
jdc

Groups: Registered
United States

I am currently a GS-5, I took a position because I was a student employee and they converted via the VRA to full time excepted service. I applied to a different position unrelated to my current one for status candidates using my military experience to qualify for the position and it is a GS-9.

I understand the VRA allows appointments up to a GS-11 as long as I qualify, but my question is since I was brought on as full time at a GS-5 will that prevent me from being eligible for positions I am qualified for(from military experience, not government) that are at higher grades?

There are threads out there with similar questions but non I have found address my current situation. Thank you all in advance.
nembamike  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 1:44:00 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 200 post(s)
I think what will hurt you is you will not have the 1 year time in grade at the next lower grade for those positions.
FS0201  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 4:42:34 AM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 313 time(s) in 274 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jdc Go to Quoted Post
I am currently a GS-5, I took a position because I was a student employee and they converted via the VRA to full time excepted service. I applied to a different position unrelated to my current one for status candidates using my military experience to qualify for the position and it is a GS-9.

I understand the VRA allows appointments up to a GS-11 as long as I qualify, but my question is since I was brought on as full time at a GS-5 will that prevent me from being eligible for positions I am qualified for(from military experience, not government) that are at higher grades?

There are threads out there with similar questions but non I have found address my current situation. Thank you all in advance.

Yes, if the agency wanted, you could move from GS-5 to a higher graded position position without TIG. I once took a VRA appointment with three months TIG at the lower level...(thankfully master's degree qualified me for promotion). While it is possible, you still have to find the right opportunity. As with the previous poster, many are confused on the issue and will discount you based on lack of TIG.
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
HokieTiger  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 5:52:38 AM(UTC)
HokieTiger

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

My understanding is that if the job is available to U.S citizens then all you have to do is prove you meet the qualifications.
Navy Bubblehead  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 6:57:24 AM(UTC)
Navy Bubblehead

Was thanked: 120 time(s) in 98 post(s)
Originally Posted by: HokieTiger Go to Quoted Post

My understanding is that if the job is available to U.S citizens then all you have to do is prove you meet the qualifications.

...Without using government experience to qualify. Military experience can be used, but if the OP is trying to use the GS-5 experience to qualify, TIG applies, and they will not qualify.
djp  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2015 8:06:04 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 174 time(s) in 171 post(s)
If you have the outside/prior experience and the necessary degrees you can apply to higher level positions and skip steps.

having a BS/BA means GS 7 starting point
having a MS/MA means GS 9 starting point
having a PhD means GS 11 starting point

If you have a bachelors are related experience you can get in at a GS 9 or GS 11.

Your prior service will count as experience. If you don't have a bachelors degree it will be hard to get a GS 9 level unless you did the exact same job in the military.
mudpie  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2015 8:28:08 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 98 time(s) in 90 post(s)
Originally Posted by: djp Go to Quoted Post
If you have the outside/prior experience and the necessary degrees you can apply to higher level positions and skip steps.

If you have a bachelors are related experience you can get in at a GS 9 or GS 11.

Your prior service will count as experience. If you don't have a bachelors degree it will be hard to get a GS 9 level unless you did the exact same job in the military.

<Buzzer> Wrong Answer.

There is nothing stating that an Agency must start you at a certain Grade because of your education.

If you are a current GS5 and apply for positions Open to All US Citizens, then yes you can jump Grades based on experience; otherwise you need 52 weeks TIG as a GS-5 to apply for a GS-7, GS-7 to GS-9 etc.
frankgonzalez  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2015 9:04:39 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1183 time(s) in 946 post(s)

I thinkyou are a little high on starting grades. I think a BA/BS will get you a GS5 without experience, GS 7 with Superior Academic Achievement. Similar for the graduate and Doctoral levels.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
FS0201  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2015 1:37:44 PM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 313 time(s) in 274 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mudpie Go to Quoted Post

<Buzzer> Wrong Answer.

There is nothing stating that an Agency must start you at a certain Grade because of your education.

If you are a current GS5 and apply for positions Open to All US Citizens, then yes you can jump Grades based on experience; otherwise you need 52 weeks TIG as a GS-5 to apply for a GS-7, GS-7 to GS-9 etc.

OP may be eligible to be promoted based on VRA, which could happen without an announcement even being made.

Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post

I thinkyou are a little high on starting grades. I think a BA/BS will get you a GS5 without experience, GS 7 with Superior Academic Achievement. Similar for the graduate and Doctoral levels.

I agree with the highlighted, with the qualification that this refers to eligibility (may meet specialized experience)...not entitlement. I was originally hired as a 6 on a 6/7 ladder, with a master's degree. There was no requirement to offer me the higher grade; I had the option of declining the offer if it wasn't sufficient.

The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
Aegius  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2015 4:33:37 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

My previous supervisor was able to move from GS-3 to GS-13 in 8 years, without any college education, but it wasn't through normal promotion methods. It required leaving federal service working as a contractor, and then getting hired back on at a higher rate the matched the contractor salary and experience. It's far from normal and very risky, but it's possible.

djp  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2015 5:07:45 AM(UTC)

<Buzzer> Wrong Answer.

In theory that can happen---but you better have outside experience to justify the higher grade because it will be hard to get through an HR person if all you have is GS 5 and you are applying for a 9/11. If you don't have the experience you are wasting your time applying.

djp  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2015 5:15:15 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: FS0201 Go to Quoted Post

<Buzzer> Wrong Answer.

OP may be eligible to be promoted based on VRA, which could happen without an announcement even being made.

Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post

I agree with the highlighted, with the qualification that this refers to eligibility (may meet specialized experience)...not entitlement. I was originally hired as a 6 on a 6/7 ladder, with a master's degree. There was no requirement to offer me the higher grade; I had the option of declining the offer if it wasn't sufficient.

It based on what the job is announced at.

If you apply for a GS 6 fpl GS 7 you cant be brought in at a GS 9 even though you have a masters degree. It based on the PD.

If you apply at a career ladder 7/9/11/12 and you state your lowest level you are willing to accept is a 7 you lose much of the ability to negotiate entering as a 9 or 11 (even if your past experience supports this)
ckool17  
#13 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2015 9:01:34 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
If you can find a paybanding system like the NAVSEA Demo scale you could jump from a GS-5 to an NT-03 which is a GS 9/10 equivalent.

VRA appointment would do the trick also.

I have never seen much luck with applying to all US Citizens unless you know someone in the organization.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed