Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Reemployed Annuitants

Generally speaking, the treatment of a retiree's annuity and pay upon reemployment in the Federal Government depends upon whether he or she retired on the basis of a regular, involuntary, or disability retirement. Potential benefits that may be earned as a result of the reemployment service depend primarily on the length of such service.

Some details on Reemployed Annuitants may be found in a PDF file at OPM's Web Site by clicking here.

If you have questions regarding how this can affect you, feel free to post the quesitons here. Or perhaps you have been through this process before and can offer some helpful suggestions...please share.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hildamassachusetts  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 11, 2015 8:47:30 AM(UTC)
hildamassachusetts

Groups: Registered

Is the monthly pension amount ever redtermined???

I was a civil service worker under the old retirement system

I later left and was re-employed as CSR offset; only 5 yrs. were CSR offset.

I retired prior to age 62 with a full pension and now at 67 have not applied for SS, but the CS pension was reduced at 62.

Because of the WEP-- my social security monthly pension will be approx only-- $450-500 per month.( at best) ** Windfall Elimination Provision.

Do they ever redetermine or re-calculate the "offset " amount when you apply for SS with the WEP calculation ???

Thank you
thechiefe7  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 14, 2015 10:12:16 AM(UTC)
thechiefe7

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Have you worked under SS since you retired from Federal service? They should recalculate your SS benefit when you actually apply for it. I recommend you call and actually make an appointment to apply for your SS. You will go to the front of the line and not have to wait for everyone who just shows up that day. This will allow you to ask questions during the interview.

Once your CSRS pension is reduced at 62; it should stay pretty much the same (with cost of living increases hopefully every year). They would have no reason to recomputed it unless there was an error in your records or their original calculations.

Look through the Retirement section of the forum for more posts about SS and CSRS-Offset.

Edited by user Tuesday, July 14, 2015 10:15:30 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Added comment.

SDAnalyst  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 16, 2015 2:08:43 PM(UTC)
SD Analyst

Was thanked: 308 time(s) in 265 post(s)
This post should probably be in the Federal Retirees forum, instead of "Reemployed Annuitants" to get more answers. Here is a link: https://forum.federalsou...lt.aspx?g=topics&f=9

There are 2 things going on:

1. Your CSRS pension from OPM is "offset" by an amount related to how many years you worked under CSRS Offset. It shouldn't be much with only 5 years in Offset.

2. If you didn't pay 30 years of "substantial earnings" into SS, your Social Security will be reduced by the WEP. The maximum is supposed to be $413 this year.

Here is a link to the SS page for information on the WEP:
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/EN-05-10045.pdf

Here is a link to the SS chart that shows how much your SS payment can be reduced:
http://www.socialsecurit...rs/retire/wep-chart.html

I feel your pain, I am in the same boat. I will have 10 years in Offset when I retire, and only paid "substantial earnings" for less than 20 years into SS, so I get the maximum reduction.

And no, just because you are hit by the WEP, they don't recalculate your Offset. I wish that were so.

Edited by user Thursday, July 16, 2015 2:13:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed