Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
youfigureitout  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 9, 2008 5:23:13 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I've had 2 temp promotions to GS-12 when I was a GS-11, one lasting 9 weeks, the other 30 weeks. I'm currently a GS-12 with 38 weeks in this position. Combined 77 weeks. I tried applying for a GS-13 but the CPAC rep says that my temp time does not count. Everyone says otherwise but I can't find any regulation to support my cause. I found on 5CFR 300.603(b)(3) that this time as a temp promotion is excluded from time-in-grade coverage:

(a) Coverage. This subpart applies to advancement to a General Schedule position in the competitive service by any individual who
within the previous 52 weeks held a General Schedule position under nontemporary appointment in the competitive or excepted service in the
executive branch, unless excluded by paragraph(b) of this section.
(b) Exclusions. The following actions may be taken without regard to this subpart but must be consistent with all other applicable
requirements, such as qualification standards:
(3) Advancement in accordance with part 335 of this chapter up to any General Schedule grade the employee previously held under nontemporary appointment in the competitive or excepted service.

5CFR 335 explains the temp promotions. Does anyone have an idea where it says these temp promotions count towards "time-in-grade", if not officially for time in grade? Also in part (b) above, does this mean that I'm exempt from tim-in-grade but can still be hired if I qualify? Thanks!
kenmfs  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:18:07 PM(UTC)

I am in the same situation and have the same question. Does anyone have any information on this? Thanks.

Mike
deneenday  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 8, 2009 4:00:45 AM(UTC)

Check this out. Make sure you read the definitions and check the paragraph regarding creditable service.

http://law.justia.com/us/cfr/title05/5-1.0.1.2.30.6.html
macbeth  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2012 8:27:14 AM(UTC)

Does 300.605(c) result in the temporary promotions not counting toward TIG? Does this only apply to employees who were never non-temporary employees for a year (temp only)?

I too had a temporary promotion for four months. I want to ensure the time is creditable, otherwise, the time was wasted.

The CPOL site states temporary promotions gain time-in-grade at the higher level.

http://cpol.army.mil/library/permiss/6320.html

thalweg  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2012 9:29:45 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
A temporary promotion is different that a temporary appointment.  I have held held several temporary promotions and they were all creditable for time-in-grade to meet the 52 week requirement for promotion elibility.  Thus I was elgible and temporary promoted to a GS-13 even though I had only permenently been promoted to a GS-12 5 months before because I had previously been temporary promoted temparily to a GS-12 three time totally way more than 52 weeks.
Fed GS  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2012 11:55:56 AM(UTC)

§ 300.604   Restrictions.

The following time-in-grade restrictions must be met unless advancement is permitted by §300.603(b) of this part:

(a) Advancement to positions at GS–12 and above. Candidates for advancement to a position at GS–12 and above must have completed a minimum of 52 weeks in positions no more than one grade lower (or equivalent) than the position to be filled.

(b) Advancement to positions at GS–6 through GS–11. Candidates for advancement to a position at GS–6 through GS–11 must have completed a minimum of 52 weeks in positions:

(1) No more than two grades lower (or equivalent) when the position to be filled is in a line of work properly classified at 2-grade intervals; or

(2) No more than one grade lower (or equivalent) when the position to be filled is in a line of work properly classified at 1-grade intervals;

§ 300.605   Creditable service.

(a) All service at the required or higher grade (or equivalent) in positions to which appointed in the Federal civilian service is creditable towards the time periods required by §300.604 of this part, except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section. Creditable service includes competitive and excepted service in positions under the General Schedule and other pay systems, including employment with a nonappropriated fund instrumentality. Service while on detail is credited at the grade of the employee's position of record, not the grade of the position to which detailed.
PMmgr  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2013 3:15:58 AM(UTC)

If I receive a 1 year temporary promotion to a higher grade, upon completion of the assignment, can I keep the higher pay rate?
Fed GS  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2013 3:49:24 AM(UTC)

PMmgr wrote:
If I receive a 1 year temporary promotion to a higher grade, upon completion of the assignment, can I keep the higher pay rate?

You cannot keep the higher pay rate as pay is tied to the grade of the position and the work being performed. When the temporary promotion ends the temporary salary increase ends.
PMmgr  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2013 4:21:42 AM(UTC)

Fed GS,

Thanks for your response. If I am a GS7 Step 1 and get a temp promotion to a GS9 Step 1, upon completion can't I get a GS7 Step 4 to maintain the higher pay rate based on the maximum payable rate rule?
Charley  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2013 4:47:18 AM(UTC)
icanzz

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Does this include taking a deployed position- Full Time - Temporary NTE 13 Months? IF GS-11 and apply for GS-12 position Full Time - Temporary NTE 13 Months say in Iraq...with return rights... does the time time count for eligibility towards 52 weeks needed for GS-13?
Fed GS  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2013 6:56:08 AM(UTC)

PMmgr wrote:
Fed GS,

Thanks for your response. If I am a GS7 Step 1 and get a temp promotion to a GS9 Step 1, upon completion can't I get a GS7 Step 4 to maintain the higher pay rate based on the maximum payable rate rule?

Check the NTE date of your temporary promotion and when in the payperiod your promotion will end. If not for a full 13 months - then normally you would not be eligibile for highest or maximum previous rate of pay. Even if 13 months there are some quirks/rules/laws in pay setting You would get your pay set at an with-in-grade increases earned during the time frame.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed