Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Office of Personnel Management

OPM is responsible for several broad categories such as employee recruitment and retention and oversees the overall federal workforce including managing, job announcement postings at USAJOBS.gov and setting governmentwide policies on hiring procedures.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ScotteBuff0710  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 18, 2015 11:58:44 AM(UTC)
scottebuff2015

Groups: Registered
United States

I am very sorry this is a bit long. There is just a lot of details and I am Sorry if any of this is unclear, I am trying to do my best to provide only relevant info.

I was originally hired as an engineer GS-11 at my location. 6 months after arriving, I assumed I was doing very well, as they dumped 5 other positions on me to fill until they were able to hire people. I regret that I didn't object as it was needed. I filled these positions for over a year, killing myself to try to handle it all. Only within the last couple months They started hiring people to take them off my plate. When they dumped the other positions on me, they informed me they were changing my position form the engineer position to a coordinator position (One of the positions I had been filling for over a year now).

I have just recently heard about temporary promotions and what they are.
The coordinator position they changed me to was last classified in 2009 as a GS-13. I have been told that I will continue as a GS-11....
What they did is a bit unclear. On our Organization chart they changed the position from a GS-13 to an GS-11 but they also changed the correct PD (GS-13) to my original engineering PD (GS-11) that has no relevance at all to the position I am in full time.

I am currently working with the Union, as in their agreement with my agency, I should have been temporarily promoted 10 days after I started the position over a year ago and back paid to the day I first started, which is now calculated to around $29,000.
My supervisor said that it will not work to get the promotion as the Org Chart is binding somehow regardless of the PD's.
So he is basically saying that nothing can be done even though everything in the GS-13 PD I currently do and nothing in the GS-11 PD is even close to what I do.

Does anyone have any input on this?
Are there other factors that I need to consider?
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Keep in mind, I moved to this position sort of under the table in a sense and non-competitively and nothing has been signed and nothing is in writing except for emails saying I am officially taking the position last July from my department's supervisor. I am confused as they said it was permanent but it seems it is temporary as nothing official has been done and I am working completely outside of my current engineering PD which I am still supposedly under.

It is also my understanding that if it can work to back date the temporary promotion, since it is over one year that I can be converted over to the GS-13 and have the 52 week Time-in-Grade fulfilled for the GS-13 as per "Tile 5, Vol 1, Sections 300-303.b.5 and/or maybe 300-305.c" which if I am correct are exceptions to the 52 week rule.

Thank you all for any insight you can provide.
SDAnalyst  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2015 2:14:59 PM(UTC)
SD Analyst

Was thanked: 427 time(s) in 366 post(s)
Since you are in a Bargaining Unit position, your best bet is to keep working with the Union to get this situation righted. You may also want to talk to HR. Basically, your org is getting you to do higher level work for less money. In your case, they are going to give that 13 to someone else, since you are doing the work as an 11. Your PD is supposed to match what you are doing. Otherwise, when you get your goals set, they won't match. There is a block on our Performance Evaluation form that says, "I certify that my Position Description is accurate." Don't check it!! As far as the Org Chart being binding, ours changes all the time. Everytime we get a new CO, the chart changes.
daddygo1  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2015 1:24:56 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Pat do they still do classification appeals?
SDAnalyst  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2015 3:05:48 PM(UTC)
SD Analyst

Was thanked: 427 time(s) in 366 post(s)
Yes, they do. If you go to https://www.opm.gov/faqs...cation/index.aspx?page=2
you can see some Q&As on how to proceed. The first thing they tell you is your PD has to be correct. If your Agency drags its feet, you will have to file either an appeal under a negotiated grievance procedure (through your Union) or an Administrative Grievance through your Agency's HR. If they refuse to help, you can file an appeal through OPM:

https://www.opm.gov/poli...cisions/#url=Fact-Sheets

Info that Should be Included in a Classification Appeal Filed with OPM

You may have a representative (designated in writing) help you prepare and submit your appeal case, but the representative cannot be someone with management or classification authority over your position. You or your designated representative, who must be designated in writing, should send your appeal to the Office of Personnel Management office serving the geographical area where your position is located.

If you decide to submit a classification appeal to us, it should contain the following information in writing and must be signed by you or your duly authorized representative:

•Your name, mailing address, and commercial office telephone number;
•The present classification of your position and the requested classification;
•The name of the department or agency and the office in which you work;
•The city where you are employed and the installation's mailing address;
•A copy of your official position description and either a statement affirming that it is accurate or a detailed explanation of the inaccuracies and an explanation of the efforts made to correct the position description;
•Any additional information about the position that will aid in understanding it; and
•Arguments supporting the requested classification by referencing the appropriate classification standards
Ellsn22  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2015 1:58:33 PM(UTC)
Ellsn22

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Im new to section of the federal soup forum, can anyone share if you can any info on whether or not OPM is up and running. I'm in the process of my background investigation for USCIS and I know sometime ago it was suspended due to the hacking. Any assistance is helpful.
mdfederalInvestigator  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2015 5:23:22 PM(UTC)
mdfederalInvestigator

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ellsn22 Go to Quoted Post
Im new to section of the federal soup forum, can anyone share if you can any info on whether or not OPM is up and running. I'm in the process of my background investigation for USCIS and I know sometime ago it was suspended due to the hacking. Any assistance is helpful.

1) the system is back up for those that started the application process only
2) if you completed the equip packet, mailed the prints in, and signed off on everything, then yours was not delayed. Everything submitted before it was shut down was not impacted.
If you have a question about filling out the sf-85 or sf-86 don's submit the form until you have talked to your security officer. Mistakes in filling out of the form are always avoidable.
Ellsn22  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2015 11:49:39 PM(UTC)
Ellsn22

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mdcontInvestigator Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Ellsn22 Go to Quoted Post

1) the system is back up for those that started the application process only
2) if you completed the equip packet, mailed the prints in, and signed off on everything, then yours was not delayed. Everything submitted before it was shut down was not impacted.

Oh okay. Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I've completed and mailed everything needed. I met with the investigator July 7, and she's still interviewing my references as of yesterday.
I did receive an email back on June 29th stating they were not able to offer an advanced EOD,. I believed this was due to an omission on my part, I totally forgot me mention my one and only foreign travel on the equip and I believe that might be the reason I received that email. I know the process can be lengthy because I'm a current federal employee and have been for almost 5years now but I can't recall my previous investigation to get this long.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed