Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Air Reserve Technicians

Air reserve technicians, commonly referred to as ARTs, are a nucleus of managers, planners and trainers who have knowledge and expertise to smooth Air Force Reserve Command (AFRC) units' transition from a peacetime to a wartime environment. They provide management continuity, equipment maintenance and training support to help keep their units combat ready.

Air reserve technicians carry dual status, working as full-time civil service employees for the Air Force and as military members in the same AFRC units where they work as civilians and performing the same job. A civil servant or public servant is a civilian career public sector employee working for a government department or agency. In their civilian role, air reserve technicians provide full-time support throughout the month for their units. In the AFRC, air reserve technicians participate with other reservists on weekends and annual active-duty tours.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JSpin  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2015 6:36:53 PM(UTC)
JSpin

Groups: Registered

First off, thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum. Although I have just registered, I have been reading the Federal Soup forums for quite some time, and have found them to be a valuable resource.

I am a fairly new ART with many...many years to go, but I have a question about the reduced retirement age for reservists. Before becoming an ART, I worked on Title 10 orders enough to bring my reserve retirement age down to somewhere between 57 and 58. With deployments and such, I will surely continue to chip away at my collection/eligibility date. For the sake of the conversation, lets say I get it down to 55. At 55, I will have my 30 years of credible civil service, and my 33 years of military service, but will be short of my MRA of 57. Will I be retired from the reserves automatically? If I voluntarily retire from the reserves at my reduced age of 55, what type of FERS retirement would I be looking at? Would I be eligible for a discontinued service retirement even though I retired from the reserves voluntarily?

I would like to retire as soon as I can afford to financially, so I am exploring different angles. I have no doubt the federal and military retirement systems will go through drastic changes before I walk out the door, but I'd like to keep the light at the end of the tunnel bright.

Thanks!

Edited by user Wednesday, August 12, 2015 6:38:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: thanks!

someoldguy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 13, 2015 5:15:09 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 427 time(s) in 374 post(s)
Remember that only deployments after 2009 count, and certain types of orders may not count. But just because you are eligible for early receipt of retirement pay, I don't think that means you are forced into retirement. Also, keep in mind that even if you are eligible to receive your reserve retirement before age 60, you still must wait til age 60 to get the full medical package. You can get 'Tricare Retired Reserve' prior to age 60 but the premiums are not subsidized, you pay the full cost (even so it is very competitive with trying to get insurance on your own).
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
JSpin  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 13, 2015 6:50:19 PM(UTC)
JSpin

Point taken on the Tricare. Being younger, I will admit to not knowing as much as I should about healthcare. As for the dates which count towards the reduced retirement age, I was under the impression was from 2008 forward.
lucabrasi  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2015 1:38:01 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JSpin Go to Quoted Post
Point taken on the Tricare. Being younger, I will admit to not knowing as much as I should about healthcare. As for the dates which count towards the reduced retirement age, I was under the impression was from 2008 forward.

I believe you are correct as 2008 being the date. Really irritating as I have 4 years as an activated reservist during my reserve years, and none of it was after 2008.
ExPostalCombatVet  
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 12, 2015 12:45:33 PM(UTC)
ExPostalCombatVet

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Yes, the ART retirement deal is good for you. As an ART you can retire before your MRA with 25 "ART" years. Once you have twenty-five years of creditable service and it is ART service, you are eligible for a retirement. Also that "Discontinued Service Retirement" is just you getting out of the Reserves and at that point you are eligible for that retirement. Either way you get a FERS Social Security Supplement and your FERS Annuity (1% for each year of creditable service). If you have a civilian personnel office at your location they can inform you of these retirement packages. As for the reserves I reckon if you are eligible for the retirement early you might be forced to take it, I am not sure on that.
GWPDA  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2015 12:12:58 PM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 360 time(s) in 299 post(s)
re-post.
GWPDA  
#7 Posted : Friday, October 02, 2015 4:28:12 PM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 360 time(s) in 299 post(s)
Interesting. Can you elaborate?
ExPostalCombatVet  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 12, 2016 8:29:14 AM(UTC)
ExPostalCombatVet

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I went to a retirement briefing and think I learned some good stuff. Please be more specific and I'll try to answer your question.
JSpin  
#9 Posted : Monday, October 02, 2017 4:23:18 PM(UTC)
JSpin

It has been some time since I started this conversation, and I still have not found any concrete answers. I haven't done too much more digging recently, but as I find myself on orders once again, it's on my mind. I am now eligible to collect my reserve retirement at 56.5, 6 months prior to my MRA.

To simplify my original question: If turned 56.5 today, and choose to retire from the air force reserves, what will happen to my ART position?

ExPostalCombatVet and GWPDA, if you're still around, does the question make sense?
frankgonzalez  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, October 03, 2017 3:02:22 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 682 time(s) in 520 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JSpin Go to Quoted Post
It has been some time since I started this conversation, and I still have not found any concrete answers. I haven't done too much more digging recently, but as I find myself on orders once again, it's on my mind. I am now eligible to collect my reserve retirement at 56.5, 6 months prior to my MRA.

To simplify my original question: If turned 56.5 today, and choose to retire from the air force reserves, what will happen to my ART position?

ExPostalCombatVet and GWPDA, if you're still around, does the question make sense?
You will be removed from the ART position (being in the Reserves is a requirement for the position). This does not prevent you from being moved into/applying for and getting another non-ART position at that time.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
JSpin  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, October 03, 2017 6:32:24 AM(UTC)
JSpin

Thanks for the reply, I agree with you.

Now, what if my goal is to retire? I decide not to accept what I am offered, and do not apply for another federal job. What happens then?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed