Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Labor

The Department of Labor fosters and promotes the welfare of the job seekers, wage earners, and retirees of the United States by improving their working conditions, advancing their opportunities for profitable employment, protecting their retirement and health care benefits, helping employers find workers, strengthening free collective bargaining, and tracking changes in employment, prices, and other national economic measurements.

In carrying out this mission, the Department administers a variety of Federal labor laws including those that guarantee workers' rights to safe and healthful working conditions; a minimum hourly wage and overtime pay; freedom from employment discrimination; unemployment insurance; and other income support. (DOL's mission statement)

Perhaps you are working for the DOL or interested in working for the DOL. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DOL.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JATO7980  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 28, 2015 1:14:49 PM(UTC)
JATO7980

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

I just received my new impairment rating paperwork from my new doctor today for an injury that happened back in 2013. OWCP approved a rating of only 2% a few months ago even though my first doctor rated me at 26%

This new rating is written in accordance with ICD-9 and I'm wondering that when ICD-10 takes effect Oct 1, will it need to be re-accomplished or do i still fall under ICD-9 since thats when my my first schedule award for this injury was approved?
Medical Coding student (ICD-10 and CPT)
Retired US Air Force
Retired Fed Employee (OPM disability)
edalder  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 28, 2015 5:11:00 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 191 time(s) in 166 post(s)
The ICD coding is simply a way of coding a diagnosis in your case. Insofar as I know, the specific ICD coding, whether 9th or 10th, does not directly play into the calculation of the award under the 6th Edition of the American Medical Association's Guides to Permanent Impairments. Ergo, the change to the ICD 10 codes would not warrant any kind of re-evaluation of the type that you are describing.

What you do want to be sure about is that OWCP does have an accurate list of all of the conditions caused by your work injury. If you have a knee injury that required surgery, you might find your award less than you expect if the only condition OWCP has accepted in a "sprain". Sprains generally do not require surgery whereas meniscus or ACL tears generally do. But, whether the code for the diagnosis is listed under the 9th or 10th scheme won't matter much as long as the diagnosis itself is accepted in your case.

Also, for many conditions, the codes are not really that different.
Kivi
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
JATO7980 on 7/19/2016(UTC)
JATO7980  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2015 8:18:07 AM(UTC)
JATO7980

Man
United States

Ok thats good news! I was afraid i just hit another roadblock
Medical Coding student (ICD-10 and CPT)
Retired US Air Force
Retired Fed Employee (OPM disability)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed