Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Workers' Compensation

The Office of Workers' Compensation Programs administers four major disability compensation programs which provide wage replacement benefits, medical treatment, vocational rehabilitation and other benefits to certain workers or their dependents who experience work-related injury or occupational disease.

Here is a forum for members to share and exchange experiences regarding to workers' compensation related issues.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
QTC another Waste  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 7, 2015 9:47:25 AM(UTC)
QTC another Waste

Groups: Registered
United States

I have learned so much by reading post, and the well answers provided: Well here is my situation, just yesterday received a letter from OWCP providing me with the report (and addendum report) from SECOP doctor. The exam in which was over an hour away was attended. Appointment was a10 minute / 1 visit exam, in which the DO informed me "oh this will not take long". After 25 years being on OWCP and submitting monthly reports from my primary doctor, following all rules and obtain as much therapy the medical field provides. My accepted condition L3,L4,L5 Discectomy for a herniated disc @ L4-L5 and Lumbar Laminectomy and Discectomy @L4L5on the left. The SEOP sited many past relevant previous doctor statements (even somewhat referring I had pre existing back injuries back in the 80's) This was all presented 25 years ago in a official hearing in which I came out fully favorable-As my relationship to accident, ( by lifting an item ) caused the instant onset of pain and unable to stand.

Well I am just amazed, or I guess I should be use to it for all the anguish I had went thru for 5 years back when accident happened-

My question is I have already wrote to my CE requesting a review of rationalized medical opinion and the SECOP opinions based solely on information provided ( SECOP also admitted both in exam and in report he had no medical records covering 20 years no MRI no treatment

0 Under the FECA book it is the reputability for the CE to provide ALL medical evidence. So I am starting off with this request, and I correct by doing this? whom or will the SECOP be forwarded a more accurate report, currently I am sentence to mandatory vocational rehab (is this in the best interest of waiting 25 years) oh yes the SECOP on the CA-5c indicated 8 hours of work with 6 hours sitting 2hrs walking.

Most injured workers truly are disabled and in pain, but yet OWCP reminds us this is not a retirement program, But I was injured and left disabled at such an early age, I would of surely like to have continued working and moving up the management levels and along receiving better compensation, but I truly have been left to take care of myself alone, and now that my living is somewhat better, my doctors fear aggravation will set me back, limit my life style require pain modifications and excess physical therapy lasting for years.

WHAT CAN I EXPECT REQUESTING AN REFREE DOCTOR, will they compile, will the SECOP be forwarded more accurate medical records. thank-You
QTC another Waste  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 7, 2015 9:51:21 AM(UTC)
QTC another Waste

United States

ALSO who is QTC medical service ( a contracted service to make OWCP run smooth?) It is a waste of tax payers money any means under the wide selections of OWCP and Dept of Labor)y, as they are rewarded on how many government employee they can place back into the workforce by any means possible with out regards to well being.
jesse slade  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 7, 2015 10:18:21 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 136 post(s)
When you write to OWCP ask for the documents 'bookmarked' for the secop. These would be the medical documents that were sent to the secop by OWCP.

You should have your doctor write a rebuttal report to the secop and this report should be specific where the secop got the information wrong. If the secop didn't discuss MRI results, this would be something your doctor should discuss. The report should also contain information as to how and why you cannot work. It should not be based on pain, but what is causing the pain.

There may also be other things in the secop report that could be fought. For instance anyplace the report is contradictory or when answering OWCP's questions was proper medical rationale provided.

QTC another Waste  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 7, 2015 9:29:37 PM(UTC)
QTC another Waste

United States

Oh THANK-YOU for being out there, I never took my OWCP as an entitlement ( I surely would be much richer and have a career a TSP but at an early age suffered raptured disc (s) ( As any doctor knows your back in age group 25-30 yrs. is so subject to excess execration ( another word but..?? mind is blank at this our hour )and the added stress has execrated my conditions already!

...with the POSTAL REFORM BILL ACT of 2013s1486 ( A must read and review carefully)-possible further subject matter.

But getting back to SECOP/ and the request for my primary doctor to make medical evidence based on weight of medical evidence of the monthly medical visits, MRI, P.T. were as SECOP express based solely on reasonable degree of medical certainty( 1-10min exam) ( comments) Thank You for your knowledge and your wiliness to support this cause with your time.
QTC another Waste  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 7, 2015 9:40:43 PM(UTC)
QTC another Waste

United States

Also your information regarding ('bookmarked' for the secop ) is well appreciated
Yes not mentioned before OWCP-CE had requested SECOP for further clarification on work restriction and the completed OWCP-5c In a separate letter.( have a feeling it was in regards to working 8 hours a day) So I should write to my CE for the SECOP what information that is bookmarked?

\Thank-You

Edited by user Wednesday, October 7, 2015 9:44:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

jesse slade  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 8, 2015 8:38:21 AM(UTC)

Your CE is the person who sent the secop your medical records, so that's who you would need to write to. You should request the bookmarked documents, a copy of the report (if you haven't already), a copy of the clarification report, the Statement of Accepted Facts, (SOAF) and the questions sent to the doctor.

If you have to fight a secop, these are the items you'll need.

I think the word you were looking for is exacerbate.

Most of OWCP's physicians perform their 'exams' in a pretty quick manner and can then come up with an opinion within a reasonable degree of medical certainty. It's a common problem.
QTC another Waste  
#7 Posted : Friday, October 9, 2015 7:52:30 AM(UTC)
QTC another Waste

United States

jesse: thanks for clarifying my word exacerbate, yes I was not able to spell or find in spell check lol, but rest assure all grammar will be presented correctly Well I thought overnight about writing CE for the information (as I already wrote him requesting a referee doctor after primary doctor submits factual statements including MRI and report.) thought I might be pushing buttons with CE. But yes you are correct -CE have no fear nor should they allow personal feeling be admitted-ok.
On my original letter from CE placing me in mandatory vocational rehabilitation the CE did include the SECOP medical report, a document from SEOP note that regarding clarification regarding work restrictions and the completed OWCP-5c work capacity form, he answers the specific questions from CE( IF employee is entered into VR with intent of finding him a sedentary , could he work 8 full hours ?? - so apparently the original OWCP-5c must of only been 4 hours ( SECOP REPLYS if entered a VR program is yes performing usual job working 6 hours if he had a sedentary job he could work 8 hours. SO yes SECOP did not even have my previous work description but more so I will send off to CE for the above info.
Once again your advice (and time spent) has help so many people as the hopefulness that is left dealing with this agency, I myself have remain strong in my belief and know I did not do any thing wrong and will stay steadfast and when there is people out there like you its a blessing to me.
jesse slade  
#8 Posted : Friday, October 9, 2015 8:21:02 AM(UTC)

I'm glad I could help.

With VR, the first thing they'll do is go to your agency and see if they're willing to offer you a job within your restrictions. If not, then the process proceeds to the private sector.
QTC another Waste  
#9 Posted : Friday, October 9, 2015 8:59:42 AM(UTC)
QTC another Waste

United States

Should I ever contact the SCOP doctor ? So CE will use current OWCP-5c work capacity to original agency? for reemployment at last position even if its been 25 years, what if I have an interest or special training in other field, like EEO will I be given a choice or a least someone to discuss what I can or will attempt to do. and what if all else fails, I start program and have reinjured or exacerbate do I fill out a CA-7 every time?

-I must attempt to focus my mind on happiness, for the last 5 days I have been stressed and searching out on internet 10 hours a day for help) Thank goodness for the computer, years ago I had no way of getting information, and that really was difficult at least the newer injuries an search out on web for good help, while waiting for a lawyer
jesse slade  
#10 Posted : Friday, October 9, 2015 10:33:02 AM(UTC)

Since a secop doctor is contracted by OWCP, you're not supposed to contact the secop and if you did the secop shouldn't/wouldn't discuss anything with you.

From what you've written, it appears OWCP is using the secops restrictions as your work restrictions.

When you meet with your VR counselor they should discuss with you what your skills are and what you'd like to do. In most cases, they will use your 'transferable' skills to determine what job you can do. In most cases, the option of going to school won't be given to you.

If you are re-injured or your medical conditions are exacerbated, you will need to see your doctor for medical evidence documenting how and why your conditions are being exacerbated or what caused you to be re-injured.
swimmingly  
#11 Posted : Friday, October 9, 2015 10:50:42 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Having gone through VR, this person is not your friend. They are overly paid and will do anything that can to get you in the workforce.

There just as bad as the second opinion dr's as from what I've read from others on this site. I was totally shocked at the things she had written to the DOL when I requested a copy of my file.

Also- do not up sell your self in the least about your skill level or what you can do. My experience was " I had know idea how this POS could look at her self in the mirror". They will come across as friendly, JUST BEWARE! I fought DOL for years to get VR as I was not totally disabled and wanted to work. I'm sorry for what I wished for however we all need to have some self worth. I thought I would get training. Good luck!
QTC another Waste  
#12 Posted : Friday, October 9, 2015 11:41:20 AM(UTC)
QTC another Waste

United States

thank you all for your reply's, I do plan on not making friends ( if and when it get to this point) VR and the rest will be treated like professional but will be careful, as I do am with this CE. This really could be a good service if it was managed like it was designed to do any workers would really benefit, I look forward to some sort of VR and will do my best even after 25 years of sedentary lifestyle, on guard to project my injuries from further damage.
QTC another Waste  
#13 Posted : Friday, October 9, 2015 11:43:43 AM(UTC)
QTC another Waste

United States

NO I did not connect with SOCEP doctor, I was sure like that pointed out, there interest is for the CE. thank you
swimmingly  
#14 Posted : Friday, October 9, 2015 12:04:52 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Even if you did contact the SOCEP doctor,they would not tell you anything. In fact, if you wanted to see that doctor on your own dime, they won't see you as a patient. I tried to see the one that saw me. He was brilliant, however that's what the office said. It would be a conflict of interest. Also- nothing good comes out of VR, I had high hopes. It was a huge disappointment. :(
Rss Feed  Atom Feed