Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
clalong  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 12, 2009 2:18:44 AM(UTC)
clalong

Groups: Registered

I have to get a public trust clearance for a new job. I dont have a criminal background. but my financial credit is not the best. what are my chances of passes the background and is it too late to start payments with the creditors I owe.

Very Concerned,

CLALong
AZC33  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 12, 2009 10:25:05 AM(UTC)
AZC33

Speaking from experience the worst thing you can do with bad financial matters is to ignore your creditors. The Background Investigator will ask you what arrangements you have made with your creditors. Chances on passing? That is hard to say. There are many factors including the Background Investigator. Be proactive and get your finances in order the best you can BEFORE your background interview.
jaysgrl99  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:48:23 AM(UTC)
jaysgrl99

You do need to act as soon as possible to try and make arrangements on any accounts that are past due. Get arrangements and/or agreements in writing and keep copies to give to the Investigatgor handling your case. Making an effort will speak volumes other than just saying....I had a rough spot. That's not going to wash. I just went thru my interview today and DHS/CBP picks apart EVERYTHING. YES for a Public Trust. Best of luck to us BOTH!!
BackGdInvestigator  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:53:01 AM(UTC)
BackGdInvestigator

It is never too late to start paying off your debts, just be mindful that OPM will notice the "gap".

Your finances for a PT position really depend on the position and the agency you work for. Regardless, start working with the creditors now, and keep working with them. Agencies that over look finances will normally "pull" another credit report down the road.
*DISCLAIMER*Correctly filling out your security forms will not guarantee you a clearance in 3 months BUT be sloppy and your case will be in the field a heck of a lot longer, guaranteed.
myrawand  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 29, 2009 5:32:18 AM(UTC)
myrawand

How do I find out if I already have security clearance?
BackGdInvestigator  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 29, 2009 6:27:29 AM(UTC)
BackGdInvestigator

You would know if you had a security clearance. If you are curious if you had a BI for your public trust position, the answer should be "yes" if you are a Fed employee.

You can always ask your HR folks or your security manager about your background investigation.
*DISCLAIMER*Correctly filling out your security forms will not guarantee you a clearance in 3 months BUT be sloppy and your case will be in the field a heck of a lot longer, guaranteed.
SueEliza813  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2009 10:10:49 AM(UTC)
SueEliza813

Exactly what is a public trust clearance...and what do they look for on an SF85?
BackGdInvestigator  
#8 Posted : Saturday, May 30, 2009 1:28:55 AM(UTC)
BackGdInvestigator

public trust means it is not a national security position - no security clearance.

Google SF 85 and look over the form.
lilley10  
#9 Posted : Sunday, May 31, 2009 4:20:03 AM(UTC)
lilley10

It's a background investigation that is performed on new employees, includes listing all past employers, schools attended, references, addresses where you lived at and people that can be contacted to verify this info. Criminal check, police record, even can see things where tickets weren't issued. Very detailed!!! Check 3 previous tax returns, credit check, check to see if you have any federal debts. They check everything! I started with Gov January 28, 2008, and just this Saturday, May 30, 2009, received my notification that my background check was complete and I am found to be suitable for my position!
ifineed2  
#10 Posted : Monday, June 01, 2009 2:12:38 AM(UTC)
ifineed2

If you have been given a Public Trust Clearance, will it help you when you fill out the SF86 for a T/S clearance? I currently work for the G with a Public Trust Clearance, I'm just curious is it'll help expedite my T/S interim or not..??
enewman  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, June 03, 2009 2:01:28 AM(UTC)
enewman

In fact, public trust positions DO require a security clearance.

I am a lawyer who handles security clearance cases, and I have had numerous clients who have had to go to hearings at the Defense Office of Hearings and Appeals for a "Trusworthiness Determination."

The government uses the same Adjudicative Guidelines as it does for Secret and Top Secret Clearances.

[This message was edited by FederalSoup Host1 on June 03, 2009 at 04:49 PM.]
ifineed2  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, June 03, 2009 11:10:09 PM(UTC)
ifineed2

Will holding a Public trust position help in expediting a T/S interim clearance? Not trying to beat a dead horse, but I'm curious as to whether what I currently hold will help me through the hiring process I'm currently going through.

Thanks
PERSEC  
#13 Posted : Thursday, June 04, 2009 12:05:56 AM(UTC)
PERSEC

Most likely it wont speed up or help you get an interim TS since you'll have to resubmit an sf-86 anyways. Normally in my agency a final secret clearance submission of a new SF-86 is what is needed to get an interim TS.
ifineed2  
#14 Posted : Thursday, June 04, 2009 12:32:10 AM(UTC)
ifineed2

Ok, I appreciate it.
granimal8  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, July 08, 2009 2:02:20 AM(UTC)
granimal8

Good morning. I have a question. I have applied for an RA position with the IRS, I have had my interview and now I am just waiting to see if I get hired. My question is, I am currently going through a short sale on my house and my husband and I have fallen behind on our payments. At this point, I can still answer No to the question about being 180 days delinquent but how will the short sale and the delinquent payments affect my clearance? What documentation would the investigators need to see in order to show that I am working to take care of this debt? Thank you for any help.
computerscott2  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, July 08, 2009 4:01:12 AM(UTC)
computerscott2

You have to be careful with this. A friend of mine lost her security clearance because when she filled out the form and turned into her boss (this was back in the day when the forms were not online) she answered No to a question "Have you ever been more than 30 days late on a payment" (or something along those lines - not sure if the # of days is correct - but you get the idea). Her boss held the paperwork for six months and then turned it in. Well during that time she did fall behind on one of her cards and had made a few late payments. The investigator thought she had lied since he was going by the date the paperwork was turned in and not the date she had filled it out. They used this as a way to remove her clearance and she was told to "retire or get fired" so she retired unwillingly.

If you have any paperwork from your bank showing that you are working on a short sale I would keep that handy as well as any agreements to take care of the remaining balance. Also it would be a good time to get all of your other bills current. If you really wanted to show inititive and that you were working to stay ahead financially you could take a part-time job to help pay the bills to show that you are making a good faith estimate to prevent yourself from getting into financial trouble. Not the most desireable option, but how badly do you want this job?
Hope this helps.
granimal8  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, July 08, 2009 6:15:39 AM(UTC)
granimal8

Computerscot:
Thanks for your response. I am fine on all of my other bills and other credit. i will make sure that I have the contract for the short sale available and keeping gathering documentation so they can see that the process is in the works.
John09  
#18 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 3:56:19 AM(UTC)
John09

how long Lockheed martin takes for public trust clearance? I got an offer on 7/31/09 and no news yet from them.
needworknow  
#19 Posted : Sunday, November 01, 2009 12:18:30 PM(UTC)
needworknow

Moved
Frown needworknow2009-12-21 17:12:24
deltatango  
#20 Posted : Sunday, November 01, 2009 11:18:15 PM(UTC)
deltatango

if you move this question to the SECURITY forum, you will get better response

one question, what was the reason for filing BK, e.g. job loss, medical, business failure, etc.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed