Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
summersand  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2016 5:43:04 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I am currently looking at an announcement that in the assessment questionnaire is the below question:

7. Non-Competitive - I am applying for this position to be considered as a:

A. Reassignment.
B. Voluntary Change to Lower Grade.
C. Repromotion. You must submit a copy of your most recent SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action and a copy of your SF-50 indicating the highest grade you held on a permanent basis
D. I am not applying using any of the above eligibilities.

The job is only open to: Current Permanent Civilian DLA Employees. ICTAP (Must be in Commuting Area). Individuals eligible for the following Special Appointing Authorities are not required to be in commuting area: Individuals w/Disabilities, Veterans w/a disability rating of 30% or more, Veterans Employment Opportunities Act (VEOA).

I don't meet any of these categories, but it got me thinking about choice C. Repromotion... So I did some digging on OPM's website and came up with more questions than answers.

So oh wise FederalSoup forum, help me understand what non-competitive repromotion is all about.

1. Is repromotion only applicable to the same job series?
2. Is it only for repromotion in the same agency at which you previously held the higher grade?
3. Is it only for displaced employees? Or is it applicable to all Federal employees?
4. Where does it rank in the world of preferences and eligibilities?

Any information on repromotion is greatly appreciated.
nembamike  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2016 3:07:09 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 220 time(s) in 199 post(s)
My guess (and its only a guess) is that if a career employee were to accept and offer for a new job and he/she went from a GS-12 to a GS-11 they could then later on apply for another GS-12 job (assuming they had time in grade) and not have to compete. They could also apply for a GS-13 but that would be competitive.

Edited by user Friday, January 29, 2016 3:08:10 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

summersand  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2016 4:57:07 AM(UTC)

That is how I understood the basics of it too, I guess I am more wondering if non-competitive repromotion gets you ranked ahead of other applicants? Or is it a tool a hiring manager?HR can choose to use if they so desire?
FedCivServ  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2016 7:56:18 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Originally Posted by: summersand Go to Quoted Post
I am currently looking at an announcement that in the assessment questionnaire is the below question:

A. Reassignment.
C. Repromotion. You must submit a copy of your most recent SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action and a copy of your SF-50 indicating the highest grade you held on a permanent basis

The job is only open to: Current Permanent Civilian DLA Employees. ICTAP (Must be in Commuting Area). Individuals eligible for the following Special Appointing Authorities are not required to be in commuting area: Individuals w/Disabilities, Veterans w/a disability rating of 30% or more, Veterans Employment Opportunities Act (VEOA).

I don't meet any of these categories, but it got me thinking about choice C. Repromotion... So I did some digging on OPM's website and came up with more questions than answers.

So oh wise FederalSoup forum, help me understand what non-competitive repromotion is all about.

2. Is it only for repromotion in the same agency at which you previously held the higher grade?
3. Is it only for displaced employees? Or is it applicable to all Federal employees?

I can't answer those questions but if you are specifically asking WRT this particular job, I don't think that's an option since is still says you must be a current DLA employee or under one of those special authorities. If you were asking in general, I apologize.
summersand  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2016 8:46:11 AM(UTC)

The job announcement was probably a bad example as I do not qualify for it due to not being a DLA employee.

I probably should have left the job announcement details out of my post as I am more interested in how non-competitive repromotion impacts selection. Do repromotion candidates get automatic ranking above other applicants?
armywifemba  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2016 8:47:28 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Recently, there seems to be more of these non-competitive merit promotion positions lately. I have seen a few.

My understanding is if you currently are at the grade or above it, you can non-competitively compete with other non-competitive category applicants. There will be some criteria HR will use to compete the non-competitive applicants. They will not compete against the competitive merit promotion list of applicants. These are the ones applying for a promotion or using veteran preference.

However, the Selecting Official can choose which register he/she wants to pull applicants from.

I have been applying as a transfer at the grade level. But, there are Schedule A, 30% disable veterans, reinstatement eligibles, Peace Corps/VISTA volunteers, and I think the VRA applicants that are also non-competitive eligible.

I hope that helps.

summersand  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 30, 2016 12:01:26 PM(UTC)

It just seems odd that I cannot find any real definitive information on how it works or where it falls in the order of preference.

I am getting the feeling that it is a tool that the hiring manager can use or not use because I don't always see the question in every job announcement I look at on USAJobs. However, if the announcement doesn't have the question regarding repromotion it will usually have the generic question, "I am eligible to apply under another authority not listed here..." I am wondering now if it is acceptable to say Yes, in instance of repromotion.
djp  
#8 Posted : Monday, February 1, 2016 6:46:16 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 169 time(s) in 166 post(s)
Originally Posted by: summersand Go to Quoted Post

A. Reassignment.

repromotion.....

it depends on the agency and the announcement how they want to restrict it...

in general repromotion is:

1. You had previous worked at that GS level before
2. Specific job series does not matter
3. What agency does not matter

---a problem can be if you worked in agency under a non GS series. there is a rule that states if you work in a non GS series and your base pay is > GS X step 4 and <GS Y step 4 you get GS Y credit for that service.

As for non-competitive eligible:

There are numerous categories here some of them are:

1. you are at the same level in another agency
2. special hiring authority: Schedule A, vet disability of 30%+, military spouse, and others.
3. I am not sure how much of a weight this has---Say the job is a GS 12, you are currently working in a GS 11/12 position but currently at a GS 11 with over 1 yrs experience at that level4. You are currently at a higher grade like a GS 13 and this position is a GS 12 with no promotion to a 13 level. Then you willing to taka a downgrade gives you non-competitive status.

armywifemba  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 2, 2016 6:17:23 AM(UTC)

All what you say sounds right except the example of a GS 11/12 applying for a GS-12. From what I have read, unless the employee actually was a GS-12, he/she will have to compete for a GS-12 slot. I don't think it matters if he/she was a GS-11, Step 10. If the employee was never a GS-12, then the employee will have to apply as a Merit Promotion - Competitive employee.

This is also true of an employee who was a GS 11, who is applying for a GS 11/12 position. The employee would have to compete because of the higher potential of GS-12.

If the employee is moving from GS-11/12 position and actually got promoted to GS-12, then the employee can non-competitively apply as either GS-11 (downgrade) or GS-12 (lateral).

Originally Posted by: djp Go to Quoted Post

repromotion.....

it depends on the agency and the announcement how they want to restrict it...

in general repromotion is:

1. You had previous worked at that GS level before
2. Specific job series does not matter
3. What agency does not matter

---a problem can be if you worked in agency under a non GS series. there is a rule that states if you work in a non GS series and your base pay is > GS X step 4 and <GS Y step 4 you get GS Y credit for that service.

As for non-competitive eligible:

There are numerous categories here some of them are:

1. you are at the same level in another agency
2. special hiring authority: Schedule A, vet disability of 30%+, military spouse, and others.
3. I am not sure how much of a weight this has---Say the job is a GS 12, you are currently working in a GS 11/12 position but currently at a GS 11 with over 1 yrs experience at that level4. You are currently at a higher grade like a GS 13 and this position is a GS 12 with no promotion to a 13 level. Then you willing to taka a downgrade gives you non-competitive status.

Edited by user Tuesday, February 2, 2016 6:18:42 AM(UTC)  | Reason: to include quote

civeng99  
#10 Posted : Friday, September 27, 2019 3:26:52 PM(UTC)
civeng99

United States

I know this topic was from 4 years ago, but I would like to revive this because I am facing a similar situation now. In May 2016 I was working in DC as a GS-14 step 4 with the USCG. At the time I accepted GS-13 position with the DON. I was 2 months away from my WGI to step 5. When I moved to the GS-13 position that placed me at Step 10. I made the move to gain supervisory experience to open up more opportunities in the future.

Fast forward 3.5 years later and there is an opportunity that has come up for a GS-14 position that I am interested in. With the following criteria:
Quote:
2. I am a current permanent or former federal employee with less than 52 weeks break in the competitive service and I am applying for this position to be considered as a:
A. Promotion Candidate - I am eligible for promotion consideration since I have held the next lower grade for at least 52 weeks on a permanent basis in the competitive service or I am a current FWS employee. NOTE: You must submit a copy of SF-50(s) that demonstrate you meet the one year time-in-grade requirement (i.e., Promotion, Within Grade/Rate Increase).
B. Repromotion Candidate - I am eligible for non-competitive repromotion consideration since I have held a higher grade on a permanent basis in the competitive federal service or a permanent position with the same or higher promotion potential as this position. NOTE: You must submit a copy of an SF-50 that reflects your highest grade held on a permanent basis.
C. Non-competitive Reassignment Candidate - I am eligible for non-competitive reassignment consideration since I have held, or currently hold a permanent competitive service position in the federal government with equal or higher promotion potential as this position. NOTE: You must submit a copy of an SF-50 that reflects your highest grade held on a permanent basis held on a permanent basis.

Obviously I can apply for competitive promotion and based on the 2-step rule if I got the job I would be promoted to GS-14 Step 7. Based on the description I believe I could apply for either Non-competitive repromotion or Non-competitive Transfer. Base on repromotion criteria I believe I would be promoted to GS-14 Step 6 with one year wait for WGI to Step 7. I am not sure how the transfer works, but I am assuming similar to the re-promotion.

The obvious advantage to the competitive promotion is the higher step. What are the advantages, of any, to the two non-competitive options? Do they give you a higher priority?

Thanks for any insights.
armywifemba  
#11 Posted : Friday, December 27, 2019 6:32:16 PM(UTC)

How did things work out for you concerning re-promotion, competitive, or non-competitive promotion? Did you get the job? If so, which method did you use?

Originally Posted by: civeng99 Go to Quoted Post
I know this topic was from 4 years ago, but I would like to revive this because I am facing a similar situation now. In May 2016 I was working in DC as a GS-14 step 4 with the USCG. At the time I accepted GS-13 position with the DON. I was 2 months away from my WGI to step 5. When I moved to the GS-13 position that placed me at Step 10. I made the move to gain supervisory experience to open up more opportunities in the future.

Fast forward 3.5 years later and there is an opportunity that has come up for a GS-14 position that I am interested in. With the following criteria:
Quote:
2. I am a current permanent or former federal employee with less than 52 weeks break in the competitive service and I am applying for this position to be considered as a:
A. Promotion Candidate - I am eligible for promotion consideration since I have held the next lower grade for at least 52 weeks on a permanent basis in the competitive service or I am a current FWS employee. NOTE: You must submit a copy of SF-50(s) that demonstrate you meet the one year time-in-grade requirement (i.e., Promotion, Within Grade/Rate Increase).
B. Repromotion Candidate - I am eligible for non-competitive repromotion consideration since I have held a higher grade on a permanent basis in the competitive federal service or a permanent position with the same or higher promotion potential as this position. NOTE: You must submit a copy of an SF-50 that reflects your highest grade held on a permanent basis.
C. Non-competitive Reassignment Candidate - I am eligible for non-competitive reassignment consideration since I have held, or currently hold a permanent competitive service position in the federal government with equal or higher promotion potential as this position. NOTE: You must submit a copy of an SF-50 that reflects your highest grade held on a permanent basis held on a permanent basis.

Obviously I can apply for competitive promotion and based on the 2-step rule if I got the job I would be promoted to GS-14 Step 7. Based on the description I believe I could apply for either Non-competitive repromotion or Non-competitive Transfer. Base on repromotion criteria I believe I would be promoted to GS-14 Step 6 with one year wait for WGI to Step 7. I am not sure how the transfer works, but I am assuming similar to the re-promotion.

The obvious advantage to the competitive promotion is the higher step. What are the advantages, of any, to the two non-competitive options? Do they give you a higher priority?

Thanks for any insights.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed