Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

47 Pages«<454647
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Aerose6  
#921 Posted : Tuesday, October 10, 2017 2:45:41 AM(UTC)
Aerose6

Groups: Registered
United States

Yes! Thanks so much Torched! Whew! I totally feel better about it now!
futurefbiagent2018  
#922 Posted : Wednesday, October 11, 2017 2:49:54 AM(UTC)
futurefbiagent2018

United States

Torched

You failed your phase 2-3....based on your timeline, you waited a year to apply. Have you taken your phase 1 again? Just curious.
torched  
#923 Posted : Wednesday, October 11, 2017 3:46:41 AM(UTC)
torched

United States

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 44 post(s)
I failed Phase III, which means I have to wait one year from that date to be eligible for a re-interview. However, in order to remain "active," I had to reapply to the new vacancy.

Scores are good for life, so if you fail something you don't start over; you just retest for that phase.
IA App: 4/29/16
P I: 6/19/16
P II: 6/26/16 (10/17/16)
P III: 3/22/17 (Fail)
IA App: 8/28/17
futurefbiagent2018  
#924 Posted : Thursday, October 12, 2017 5:45:20 PM(UTC)
futurefbiagent2018

United States

I am scheduled to take the IA exam. Failed SA PI test the other day. How did you all prepared for the IA test? is it the same format as the SA test for those of you who have also tested for the SA position? Any help would be great.
waiting4IA  
#925 Posted : Monday, October 16, 2017 10:40:45 AM(UTC)
waiting4IA

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi all, long time no post - I just got the email with EOD January 7th. Such an awesome surprise, because I got that "No Critical Skills" email back in May and thought I was going to be stuck waiting for a much longer time!
App: 10/15
P1: 1/16
P2: 2/16
P3/CJO: 8/16
PSI/Poly: 9/16
Refs: 11/16
Cleared for hire: 2/17
No CS Email: 5/17
EOD: 1/18
thanks 1 user thanked waiting4IA for this useful post.
Jake 4rm State Farm on 10/16/2017(UTC)
IndelibleD  
#926 Posted : Monday, October 16, 2017 10:46:25 AM(UTC)
IndelibleD

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: waiting4IA Go to Quoted Post
Hi all, long time no post - I just got the email with EOD January 7th. Such an awesome surprise, because I got that "No Critical Skills" email back in May and thought I was going to be stuck waiting for a much longer time!

Congrats!

App:4/28/16
P1:6/10/16(6/10/16)
P2:6/14/16(7/22/16)
P3:9/28/16(10/3/16)
CJO:10/11/16
PSI:10/21/16
POLY:11/16/16
BI:12/14/16
thanks 1 user thanked IndelibleD for this useful post.
waiting4IA on 10/16/2017(UTC)
torched  
#927 Posted : Monday, October 16, 2017 11:33:09 AM(UTC)
torched

United States

That's awesome news, and not just for you but for us as well.

It means two things really: that it's possible for someone who was disqualified for "lacking critical skills" to nonetheless get an offer, and, perhaps more importantly, that it seems that what they said about classes being filled until 2019 was untrue.

This is great!
waiting4IA  
#928 Posted : Monday, October 16, 2017 11:44:02 AM(UTC)
waiting4IA

United States

Originally Posted by: torched Go to Quoted Post

It means two things really: that it's possible for someone who was disqualified for "lacking critical skills" to nonetheless get an offer, and, perhaps more importantly, that it seems that what they said about classes being filled until 2019 was untrue.

This is great!

Yes, agreed. I will say that during the waiting period, I took an opportunity through my job to work on one of the critical skills and get a certificate, which I emailed with an updated resume back in July. I'm assuming that had an effect on my suitability, because back in May that email stated that although I wasn't disqualified, others with the critical skills were being prioritized for 2018. So hopefully this just encourages everyone to keep your head up during this long process, and definitely take opportunities to work on those skills and boost your resume - it will definitely pay off.
torched  
#929 Posted : Monday, October 16, 2017 12:03:38 PM(UTC)
torched

United States

That's definitely good to know, as a fellow poster in another thread was afraid that his Associate's degree wouldn't satisfy the requirement.

It's a relief to know that, as weird and frustrating as this process can be sometimes, it isn't completely hit or miss. Meaning, they do factor things into consideration like certificates, not just throw an entire application out.

There's hope. I hope.
GloriousCandy  
#930 Posted : Thursday, October 19, 2017 6:40:43 PM(UTC)
GloriousCandy

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: waiting4IA Go to Quoted Post

This is great!

Yes, agreed. I will say that during the waiting period, I took an opportunity through my job to work on one of the critical skills and get a certificate, which I emailed with an updated resume back in July. I'm assuming that had an effect on my suitability, because back in May that email stated that although I wasn't disqualified, others with the critical skills were being prioritized for 2018. So hopefully this just encourages everyone to keep your head up during this long process, and definitely take opportunities to work on those skills and boost your resume - it will definitely pay off.

I'm so excited for you! And also a little curious. You mentioned sending an updated resume with a new certification; did you just send this to your AC at your local field office? I will be completing my bachelors degree (finally!) this December and I figure it can't hurt to send an updated resume, just want to make sure it's going to the right place. I was planning on uploading a new one to FBI Jobs...

Also, I noticed you were cleared 2/17. Torched had pointed out that clearances expire after 1 year if you don't EOD, so perhaps it was a factor in you getting into the next class? If this is true then a lot of other cleared people can probably start expecting some classes in 2018 as well. I'm definitely interested to see how this pans out, but if correct it's going to be pretty awesome for a lot of the people that got cleared early this year but didn't get a class date.

Definitely wishing you the best for January!
Apply: May 2016
Phase 1/2: June 2016
Phase 3: July 2016
CJO: August 2016
PSI/Poly: September 2016
BI: October 2016 - Current
waiting4IA  
#931 Posted : Friday, October 20, 2017 5:54:19 AM(UTC)
waiting4IA

United States

@GloriousCandy - thank you! I will still be a little skeptical until I receive the official appointment letter, but I’m excited. I had emailed my updated resume to both the FBI IASP email address and the one for the HR rep who had emailed me in February to let me know I was cleared for hire (didn’t get responses from either), and I also uploaded it to FBI Jobs.

I was never told that cleared for hire status expires after one year. I could be wrong, but I feel like if that was the case, they would definitely let you know that during your BI or in your notification of being cleared for hire. However, if that’s true, then I wouldn’t be surprised if it played a role in getting the January EOD. Either way, nice to know that those of us who were put on hold one way or another haven’t been forgotten about.
waiting4IA  
#932 Posted : Friday, October 20, 2017 6:14:25 AM(UTC)
waiting4IA

United States

Also, just wanted to add - my FBI Jobs status has been listed as Application Under Review since September 2016.
GloriousCandy  
#933 Posted : Friday, October 20, 2017 7:30:56 AM(UTC)
GloriousCandy

United States

@waiting4IA - I can definitely understand the skepticism, but it's still super exciting! I'd be in the same boat though- until I had that FJO I'd be nervous. Thank you for the reply about turning in your app, as well as adding that your application has been under review. Somehow I ended up with two apps in, one marked application under review since September 2016, and the other says security component in progress. Sometime around the site redesign the application under review was changed to an application for multiple jobs and my other IA one was left lone... a bit weird, but thought I'd add it in.

It was actually torched that explained the expiration not too long ago:

Originally Posted by: Aerose6 Go to Quoted Post
He seemed confused and explained that according to his knowledge of TS clearance requirements, all background packet documents/poly results are only good for 1 year...

Emphasis mine.

Your clearance is only good for one year, meaning, if you are cleared for hire but do not EOD within a year, your clearance will "expire" and you will be subject to another background. But that doesn't apply to you because you're still in background, pending adjudication. The one year clock hasn't started for you yet.

Does that make sense?

I'm one of those with the background still pending, and since I'm well into month 14 it might be the above reason that I haven't been cleared yet. If there are no slots then there's no point in re-doing the ENTIRE investigation; it makes much more sense to sit on it for a bit and let things open up. Just thought I'd put these two ideas together for anyone on here still waiting to be cleared since it could be a factor.
torched  
#934 Posted : Friday, October 20, 2017 10:56:21 PM(UTC)
torched

United States

Well, just learned I'm a no go for SOS.

Just another nail in the coffin.

Six more months. That's what I give it. Then I'm out.
GloriousCandy  
#935 Posted : Friday, October 20, 2017 11:06:09 PM(UTC)
GloriousCandy

United States

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that. I may not remember correctly, but aren't you an FBI employee? I don't mean to sound flippant, I was just thinking it might give you more leverage for future positions that open up; I don't know a lot about the SOS spot, but it's definitely crappy news to get, especially so late. I hope the re-interview for IA works out well for you once you can retest. Hang in there, you've still got options!
torched  
#936 Posted : Friday, October 20, 2017 11:51:07 PM(UTC)
torched

United States

Originally Posted by: GloriousCandy Go to Quoted Post

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that. I may not remember correctly, but aren't you an FBI employee? I don't mean to sound flippant, I was just thinking it might give you more leverage for future positions that open up; I don't know a lot about the SOS spot, but it's definitely crappy news to get, especially so late. I hope the re-interview for IA works out well for you once you can retest. Hang in there, you've still got options!

Yep, I'm internal.

I do agree that that would be beneficial. However, the fact that this SOS posting was only for internal applicants meant that the playing field was leveled. I guess what frustrated me the most was not the fact that I wasn't selected, but in that I learned of others who were on (what I now know as) the cert list, but weren't contacted either. As I understand it, this "cert list" is the initial HR screening by HQ, which is then passed along to local FOs for further follow up. Sadly, the current working theory that I and others have developed is that only those who selected a single FO as their preference were contacted, because their (the Bureau's or Hiring Manager's) thinking is that someone who has multiple FO preferences isn't "as committed" as someone who only put down one FO (or the same FO multiple times). Load of baloney, I think. Isn't that the whole point of ranking offices? Doesn't first choice mean first choice? Period.

But, like you said, there is still hope. And I am 100% grateful that applicants are even allowed the privilege of retesting for phases that they failed.

That's huge.
GloriousCandy  
#937 Posted : Saturday, October 21, 2017 12:15:09 AM(UTC)
GloriousCandy

United States

Yep, I'm internal.

I do agree that that would be beneficial. However, the fact that this SOS posting was only for internal applicants meant that the playing field was leveled. I guess what frustrated me the most was not the fact that I wasn't selected, but in that I learned of others who were on (what I now know as) the cert list, but weren't contacted either. As I understand it, this "cert list" is the initial HR screening by HQ, which is then passed along to local FOs for further follow up. Sadly, the current working theory that I and others have developed is that only those who selected a single FO as their preference were contacted, because their (the Bureau's or Hiring Manager's) thinking is that someone who has multiple FO preferences isn't "as committed" as someone who only put down one FO (or the same FO multiple times). Load of baloney, I think. Isn't that the whole point of ranking offices? Doesn't first choice mean first choice? Period.

But, like you said, there is still hope. And I am 100% grateful that applicants are even allowed the privilege of retesting for phases that they failed.

That's huge.

Whoa, that's horrible! I hope your working theory is wrong, just for the sake that it's REALLY uncool- I've never seen anything like that, even in the military, and trust me, they had some WEIRD reasons for selecting people for open billets. I think with your experience from the first IA interview you're going to be fine when it comes time to take it again, and with your clearance already active a class date at Q shouldn't be too far away. I suppose that's assuming your won't have to go through another BI... but I don't think you would. That should save you loads of time over what I've had! I think 6 months from now I'll be lucky to have a class date, lol!

But in all seriousness, it sounds like you have the right stuff and you're prepped for the IA job, so it might be that the SOS job has spared you a move and a lease on a house, followed by the headache of packing it all back up to go to Q, just to do it all again after it's done. It might be too soon to look at the positive, but it's there, even if you have to be a master contortionist and then squint a bit to see it. I've definitely gotten pretty good at that during this crazy wait! I quit a job because my employer hated the FBI and went berserk the month after my investigator showed up, got a temp job that I hated, and then found something I really love while I finish my degree and some certs. It will all work out in the end.
thanks 1 user thanked GloriousCandy for this useful post.
torched on 10/21/2017(UTC)
torched  
#938 Posted : Saturday, October 21, 2017 12:53:19 AM(UTC)
torched

United States

But in all seriousness, it sounds like you have the right stuff and you're prepped for the IA job, so it might be that the SOS job has spared you a move and a lease on a house, followed by the headache of packing it all back up to go to Q, just to do it all again after it's done. It might be too soon to look at the positive, but it's there, even if you have to be a master contortionist and then squint a bit to see it. I've definitely gotten pretty good at that during this crazy wait! I quit a job because my employer hated the FBI and went berserk the month after my investigator showed up, got a temp job that I hated, and then found something I really love while I finish my degree and some certs. It will all work out in the end.

That was my thinking exactly! Is it really worth relocating for a year, in the event that I actually do get to be an IA and have to relocate all over again. That obviously factored into how I ranked my offices, but never in a million years did I think that having options would mean limiting yourself. Ironic.

I definitely agree that there are positives. The biggest I think is that I'm already cleared. That alone not only saves time, but a whole load of anxiety as well. Best case, I pass next round and get a class for Jan 2019, which is no big deal. I can definitely wait it out, if I know I passed, because there are no other hoops to jump through (at least I hope not). Worst case, I fail, then pack my things and go, which, by then, might really be a consolation prize.

I'm sure it'll all work out in the end. Eventually.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed