Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
justincase876  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 3, 2016 1:25:22 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm a career employee covered by apwu. My work schedule is Tuesday Through Saturday, off days Sun/Mon. When a holiday falls on a Monday, I get the preceding Saturday off as my holiday. Last Saturday (my memorial day holiday) I was told I had to work it as it was my turn. I did so, but now I'm starting to wonder if it was right. So here are my questions...
I am told it goes by seniority. Is it position seniority or installation seniority?
If an employee is not on the OTDL, can they be forced to work their holiday?
Are employees regularly scheduled on that day the only employees who can be forced to work that holiday? So in my case, only people who work Saturdays can be forced to work their holiday when it lands on a Saturday or should employees who work M-F, same tour as me also be in the rotation?
Can management require a different level/pay grade employee to work in this scenario?
I have read the APWU contract articles 8, 11 and the ELM. But I can't find the answers to these questions. I don't know if I am not interpreting it or looking in the wrong place. Your help is very much appreciated.
postalvet  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 3, 2016 1:53:25 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: justincase876 Go to Quoted Post
I'm a career employee covered by apwu. My work schedule is Tuesday Through Saturday, off days Sun/Mon. When a holiday falls on a Monday, I get the preceding Saturday off as my holiday. Last Saturday (my memorial day holiday) I was told I had to work it as it was my turn. I did so, but now I'm starting to wonder if it was right. So here are my questions...
I am told it goes by seniority. Is it position seniority or installation seniority?
If an employee is not on the OTDL, can they be forced to work their holiday?
Are employees regularly scheduled on that day the only employees who can be forced to work that holiday? So in my case, only people who work Saturdays can be forced to work their holiday when it lands on a Saturday or should employees who work M-F, same tour as me also be in the rotation?
Can management require a different level/pay grade employee to work in this scenario?
I have read the APWU contract articles 8, 11 and the ELM. But I can't find the answers to these questions. I don't know if I am not interpreting it or looking in the wrong place. Your help is very much appreciated.

unless your local memo has a different picking order this is the order to follow.

HOLIDAY SCHEDULE
The intent of Article 11.6 is to permit the maximum number of full-time and part-time
regular employees to be off on the holiday while allowing employees who wish to work
the opportunity to volunteer. Article 11.6.B provides the scheduling procedure for
holiday assignments in the absence of a holiday schedule “pecking order” in the Local
Memorandum of Understanding (LMOU).
When the LMOU does not establish a pecking order the following should be used to
select employees to work on a holiday:
• All part-time flexible employees to the maximum extent possible, even if the
payment of overtime is required.
• All full-time and part-time regular employees who possess the necessary skills and
have volunteered to work on their holiday or their designated holiday, by seniority.
• Postal Support Employees (PSEs).
• All full-time and part-time regular employees who possess the necessary skills
and have volunteered to work on their non-scheduled day, by seniority.
• Full-time regular employees who do not volunteer on what would otherwise be their
non-scheduled day, by inverse seniority.
• Full-time regular employees who do not volunteer on what would otherwise be their
holiday or designated holiday, by inverse seniority.
The pecking order must be followed regardless of whether the scheduling will result in an
employee(s) receiving penalty pay.

the overtime desired list usually does not apply.
HOLIDAY SCHEDULING PROCEDURES VS OVERTIME DESIRED LIST
The holiday scheduling procedure followed at a particular post office is applicable and is
to be utilized on the actual holiday and any other days which may be designated as an
employee’s holiday. Thus, depending upon the days off of the employee and the actual
day of the holiday, it is possible for the holiday scheduling procedure and not the
overtime desired list to be used for one, two or three days.

from the JCIM
http://www.apwu.org/sites/apwu/...files/jcim-2012-july.pdf
page 90
justincase876  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 3, 2016 2:58:07 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thank you postalvet for your quick response.

Follow up:
Is this done by installation seniority or position seniority?
postalvet  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 3, 2016 6:34:27 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: justincase876 Go to Quoted Post
Thank you postalvet for your quick response.

Follow up:
Is this done by installation seniority or position seniority?

I do not understand "position seniority"
Rss Feed  Atom Feed