Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Environmental Protection Agency

EPA was established in 1970 to consolidate in one agency a variety of federal research, monitoring, standard-setting and enforcement activities to ensure environmental protection. Since its inception, EPA has been working for a cleaner, healthier environment for the American people.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rb88  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2016 5:23:42 PM(UTC)
rb88

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I recently received a TO for a position in the 1300 series. I have very limited information on how it is to work with the EPA and I'm not sure if the position entails mostly being inside or going in the field. I did accept the TO though, but I just wanted a little insight before I got my start date. I would never want to go into a ignorant of what I'm doing. The announcement had 400,800, and 1300 series all listed together so I have a general explanation of what to expect but nothing truly descriptive. Thanks everyone!!!!! :)
jsmith!@!  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 5, 2021 2:04:24 AM(UTC)
jsmith!@!

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I love the work I do. The workload is manageable, and the pay is high. Work/life balance is great.

OCFO is a bit political, and we have some bad behavior in my office. However, overall EPA as a whole is a good organization. They don’t want to seem to get on board offering full time telework like other agency. For these reasons, I’m looking to at least leave OCFO and possibly the agency.
If you can’t behave like a professional mature adult in your response, you will be instantly blocked with no response.
tsukiaa  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 22, 2021 10:12:53 AM(UTC)
tsukiaa

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jsmith!@! Go to Quoted Post
I love the work I do. The workload is manageable, and the pay is high. Work/life balance is great.

OCFO is a bit political, and we have some bad behavior in my office. However, overall EPA as a whole is a good organization. They don’t want to seem to get on board offering full time telework like other agency. For these reasons, I’m looking to at least leave OCFO and possibly the agency.

What kind of bad behavior do the people have? I'm interested in working at EPA, but I've heard mixed things.
lilbellz11  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 4, 2022 3:51:45 PM(UTC)
lilbellz11

United States

Originally Posted by: tsukiaa Go to Quoted Post

What kind of bad behavior do the people have? I'm interested in working at EPA, but I've heard mixed things.

There is a meme I use to describe life at the EPA - its a pink flamingo going in circles and the sounds coming out of its mouth are "EPAAAAAA EPAAAAAAAA EPAAAAAAAAAAA EPAAAAAAAAA EPAAAAAAAAAA." You should google it. It's hilarious.

Seriously, its very frustrating working for this agency. Its becoming highly political. High pay, life/work balance is PHENOMENAL. However, the work soon becomes dull/boring, then you feel stagnant... change is small and slow innovation. Computer problems are endless. If you are not constantly engaged and asking for more work, you will watch the clock go "tik tok tik tok tik tok tik tok." or you can go online and trade penny stocks. Your choice.
jsmith!@!  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 11, 2022 6:58:09 AM(UTC)
jsmith!@!

United States

It’s mostly specific to my office, but we have a lot of very immature people. Most of the people in my office are rather mean, some downright sadistic. We have a few individuals in this place that run around indoctrinating people against others. I have people I’ve never even talked to that have started crap with me. When you deal with it and set them straight, they run and tell on you. It’s like being a *****ing daycare center. The managers don’t want to deal with it and don’t rein them in.

If you’re in management’s clique, you get away with stuff, and management’s clique doesn’t correlate to who is more talented or works hardest. And management yells at those not in the clique for the most minor slight if somebody brings it to their attention and forces them to deal with it.

We have one guy that got all giddy and was running around telling people and having fun with it when someone he didn’t like in our group got yelled at by a manager in a meeting. When the person had to go into the hospital at fiscal year end, he signed her card “nice going” for getting out of being at work. Honestly, that goes beyond immaturity. Someone that does something like that has something seriously wrong with them. But, he’s in the clique. So, nothing happens to him.

Management also covertly cherry picked people to take an all expense paid trip to Orlando to train for and sit for the CGFM exam. Exam fees were covered too. One of those persons failed the exam. When people got wind of it and complained, they brought the class to us, but we still had to pay the exam fees. So, you were damned if you didn’t go to the class because you were saying you didn’t care about your career. You were damned if you did go to the class because if you sat for and passed the test you were likely not going to get promoted anyway.

I also was the target of a couple of political witch hunts by one of our finance centers and our IT department for situations that were blown up and made into something they were not. Both were deflection tactics to cover up their own fallacies or otherwise get even.

Essentially, it’s a good agency, but you don’t want to work in OCFO if you are a finance person. I could go on and on and cite many other examples in much further detail. I’ve been trying to move to a budget analyst position outside of OCFO, but they have been limiting the areas of the EPA that they will hire from. I’ve been told by others outside of OCFO that they have had much better experiences.

What has kept me there so long is the high pay grade and management does not bother you as long as you stay quiet and hang your head low. What caused me to start looking is 1) the last stunt pulled with the other finance center mentioned two paragraphs above and how it was grossly mishandled, and 2) that the agency is hell bent on bringing us back into the office once COVID dies off even though I’m perfectly able to work from home. Full-time telework has certainly mitigated the bull crap; I certainly don’t want to go back to the office and be around those people. There are a lot of jobs posted on USAjobs right now that are offering full-time telework.

Edited by user Sunday, February 13, 2022 9:43:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

If you can’t behave like a professional mature adult in your response, you will be instantly blocked with no response.
jsmith!@!  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 11, 2022 7:03:56 AM(UTC)
jsmith!@!

United States

Originally Posted by: lilbellz11 Go to Quoted Post

There is a meme I use to describe life at the EPA - its a pink flamingo going in circles and the sounds coming out of its mouth are "EPAAAAAA EPAAAAAAAA EPAAAAAAAAAAA EPAAAAAAAAA EPAAAAAAAAAA." You should google it. It's hilarious.

Seriously, its very frustrating working for this agency. Its becoming highly political. High pay, life/work balance is PHENOMENAL. However, the work soon becomes dull/boring, then you feel stagnant... change is small and slow innovation. Computer problems are endless. If you are not constantly engaged and asking for more work, you will watch the clock go "tik tok tik tok tik tok tik tok." or you can go online and trade penny stocks. Your choice.

I agree it is very political. It’s probably one of the most political agencies I’ve been in. Personally, I’ve been the victim of a couple of political witch hunts. Despite how much I love the work I do, this is one of the biggest reasons why I’m planning to leave.
jsmith!@!  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 10, 2022 6:16:48 AM(UTC)
jsmith!@!

United States

Suddenly in a staff meeting a couple weeks ago, they announced that they’re now considering remote work once administration and the union comes to an agreement.

You take the good with the bad. If I had permanent work from home, I would consider staying. Work from home would solve some of the social problems as well.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed