Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

57 Pages«<4445464748>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Envihon  
#901 Posted : Thursday, March 28, 2019 3:53:25 AM(UTC)
Envihon

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AG1659 Go to Quoted Post
Met with the background investigator and it appears they're working through my background check now, sent everything to med review, and I took the drug test, so now I guess all I can do now is sit and wait. I am an 18-3.

The background check can take upwards to a year or more to complete. It varies with everyone depending on how many residences you have had and things like that. For military members like myself, it is a long process because they check everything that you put into e-quip. It's the reason they ask you if you want to be hired before it's complete because it can take a while.
AG1659  
#902 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2019 10:48:44 AM(UTC)
AG1659

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Envihon Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: AG1659 Go to Quoted Post
Met with the background investigator and it appears they're working through my background check now, sent everything to med review, and I took the drug test, so now I guess all I can do now is sit and wait. I am an 18-3.

The background check can take upwards to a year or more to complete. It varies with everyone depending on how many residences you have had and things like that. For military members like myself, it is a long process because they check everything that you put into e-quip. It's the reason they ask you if you want to be hired before it's complete because it can take a while.

Thank you! I didn't know that. I don't remember being asked about being hired before it's done either. Were we asked that when we filled out e-quip? I am sure I said yes, but I honestly don't remember. It seems to be moving pretty fast for me. They've contacted several of my old employers already and met with a few people listed on my E-quip. I've lived in a lot of different places, so I can see why it would take awhile.
lmore15  
#903 Posted : Monday, April 8, 2019 8:24:40 PM(UTC)
lmore15

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
For anyone who starts at their port next month or has already started and has to relocate: what are y’all doing about housing? Is it better to get an apartment ASAP or after returning from the academy?
I’m thinking about getting an hotel but it’s pretty pricey so I’m leaning more towards an Airbnb.
OnTheMove  
#904 Posted : Tuesday, April 9, 2019 7:53:33 AM(UTC)
OnTheMove

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: lmore15 Go to Quoted Post
For anyone who starts at their port next month or has already started and has to relocate: what are y’all doing about housing? Is it better to get an apartment ASAP or after returning from the academy?
I’m thinking about getting an hotel but it’s pretty pricey so I’m leaning more towards an Airbnb.

I was going to do Airbnb but just ended up renting an apartment as my family will be moving while I’m in training. I will be starting next Monday. I think most people would do way better with Airbnb than with a hotel.
thanks 1 user thanked OnTheMove for this useful post.
lmore15 on 4/9/2019(UTC)
MD18-1  
#905 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2019 12:19:41 PM(UTC)
MD18-1

United States

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 5 post(s)
So I emailed CBP Hiring Scheduling if they were going to be calling any 18-1's for the remaining of this fiscal year 2019, and they responded "we have filled all the academy classes for fiscal 2019" so guess us 18-1's that are left will not get called till after end of Sept 2019.
Asal1994  
#906 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2019 5:07:22 PM(UTC)
Asal1994

United States

Hello, to all of those who recently received job offers did you all receive emails today?
I got an email with report date and some academy information... in the email it doesn’t mention anything about Georgia just Maryland training. I wonder if we no longer have academy in Georgia or they just left it out of the email.
Also are we supposed to call our port already to find out times to report or should that be at a closer date?
lmore15  
#907 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2019 6:42:27 PM(UTC)
lmore15

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Asal1994 Go to Quoted Post
Hello, to all of those who recently received job offers did you all receive emails today?
I got an email with report date and some academy information... in the email it doesn’t mention anything about Georgia just Maryland training. I wonder if we no longer have academy in Georgia or they just left it out of the email.
Also are we supposed to call our port already to find out times to report or should that be at a closer date?

I got the email as well. I thought it only mentioned Maryland because we need to pass our training there first before we get to move on to Georgia, but then I noticed that out of the 14 weeks it says 9-10 will be spent in Maryland. So maybe they’re planning on cutting our time in Georgia. I think that someone who’s either at training right now or already went through it will have a better answer.

I think it’s better to call as soon as possible just to get any information you might need. The email just said to wait 24hrs to allow them to process your info, so I plan on calling tomorrow.
thanks 1 user thanked lmore15 for this useful post.
Asal1994 on 4/22/2019(UTC)
Leaver  
#908 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2019 9:24:58 PM(UTC)
Leaver

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Originally Posted by: lmore15 Go to Quoted Post

I got the email as well. I thought it only mentioned Maryland because we need to pass our training there first before we get to move on to Georgia, but then I noticed that out of the 14 weeks it says 9-10 will be spent in Maryland. So maybe they’re planning on cutting our time in Georgia. I think that someone who’s either at training right now or already went through it will have a better answer.

I think it’s better to call as soon as possible just to get any information you might need. The email just said to wait 24hrs to allow them to process your info, so I plan on calling tomorrow.

It does sound like your time at FLETC is being reduced. A real 180 from where the brass was headed a year ago. But if this is true, a very good decision in my opinion.

Edited by user Monday, April 22, 2019 9:27:57 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

OnTheMove  
#909 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2019 9:32:49 AM(UTC)
OnTheMove

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
What’s graduation like at FLETC? Is it worth bringing your family to?
Leaver  
#910 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2019 10:40:53 AM(UTC)
Leaver

Originally Posted by: OnTheMove Go to Quoted Post
What’s graduation like at FLETC? Is it worth bringing your family to?

They do a very nice ceremony and many graduates bring in their families, but that is a personal decision. One step at a time... make sure you get to graduation first ;-)
Asal1994  
#911 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2019 11:32:06 AM(UTC)
Asal1994

United States

To those have already been through the academy is there anything you all could suggest to study before getting there? Thanks in advance :)
Martin2015  
#912 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2019 2:35:43 PM(UTC)
Martin2015

Puerto Rico

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 7 post(s)
The training is divided 7 weeks in Maryland and 7 in Georgia. I’m in pre academy right now and the trainer gave us that information.
Leaver  
#913 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2019 11:00:50 AM(UTC)
Leaver

To those have already been through the academy is there anything you all could suggest to study before getting there? Thanks in advance :)

On the biology side, (if you don't already have previous experience), I would suggest that you get yourself familiar with the vocabulary of basic taxonomic entomology and plant pathology, and get used to reading and using keys to identify insects. Don't try and memorize anything as they will provide lots of time and guidance on the specific information you'll need to know. Maybe an overview of the USDA history will be helpful. On the CBP side, a general history of the agency and DHS will be useful, and also start getting familiar with the questions on CBP Form 6059B (Customs Declaration... just Google it).
thanks 5 users thanked Leaver for this useful post.
lmore15 on 4/24/2019(UTC), Asal1994 on 4/24/2019(UTC), Robgg on 4/25/2019(UTC), MD18-1 on 4/25/2019(UTC), AG1659 on 5/1/2019(UTC)
AG1659  
#914 Posted : Wednesday, May 1, 2019 6:03:55 AM(UTC)
AG1659

United States

I received word yesterday (via Email) that my medical review was cleared which was probably my biggest worry. My CBP application updated this morning to 57%. The medical took exactly 8 weeks as they stated it could take from 6-8 weeks or longer. The timeline seems pretty consistent so far.

Edited by user Wednesday, May 1, 2019 6:05:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

crod  
#915 Posted : Thursday, May 2, 2019 6:11:29 AM(UTC)
crod

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
My app rose to 71% on April 3rd. I have been waiting to receive a "refer to scheduling" email, but have not gotten it. I called the hiring center 3 days ago, left a voicemail, and they returned my call this morning saying I was referred to scheduling on April 2nd and that I'd be called once there was an opening in my geographic area I selected. I thought it was odd that I haven't received the email or signed the Declaration for Federal Employment. I'm wondering if I need to fill out that form before I'm called.
Envihon  
#916 Posted : Thursday, May 2, 2019 7:23:19 AM(UTC)
Envihon

United States

Originally Posted by: crod Go to Quoted Post
My app rose to 71% on April 3rd. I have been waiting to receive a "refer to scheduling" email, but have not gotten it. I called the hiring center 3 days ago, left a voicemail, and they returned my call this morning saying I was referred to scheduling on April 2nd and that I'd be called once there was an opening in my geographic area I selected. I thought it was odd that I haven't received the email or signed the Declaration for Federal Employment. I'm wondering if I need to fill out that form before I'm called.

You don't receive a form once you are referred to scheduling, it's a status that is used by OPM and isn't an "official" status so you don't receive email. You get a declaration of federal employment once they call you and you accept a position they have offered. You don't receive one before. Right now, all you have is to wait until your name pops on the list.
BAP1015  
#917 Posted : Thursday, May 2, 2019 7:50:32 AM(UTC)
BAP1015

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
When I received my email that I was referred to scheduling, they told me I was missing the declaration of federal employment. I had to sign it and send it back. However, that was July 5th of 2018 and I still haven’t been called. (, there are no more trainings this year.)

Maybe every case is different? Not sure.
Envihon  
#918 Posted : Thursday, May 2, 2019 8:46:29 AM(UTC)
Envihon

United States

Originally Posted by: BAP1015 Go to Quoted Post
When I received my email that I was referred to scheduling, they told me I was missing the declaration of federal employment. I had to sign it and send it back. However, that was July 5th of 2018 and I still haven’t been called. (, there are no more trainings this year.)

You should fill out the Declaration of Federal Employment twice during this process. Once when you receive your tentative selection letter which began this process and then again on your first day. The Declaration of Federal Employment is mainly for insurance purposes. It's used as a kind of consent to be hired when you get your tentative selection and then again when you are actually hired to start your insurance.

Being referred to selection just means you are on the list for the hiring staff to call. Your hiring package goes to different teams throughout the process and once you are at referred to selection it just means its at the hiring team and you are waiting to be called to actually be hired into the agency. I know this because during my hiring I was suppose to be called in August 2017 but my medical recertification wasn't forwarded back to the hiring team so I missed getting called until Feb 2018. That's how I got a glimpse at a bit of the process in what happens during all these times.
thanks 2 users thanked Envihon for this useful post.
BAP1015 on 5/2/2019(UTC), AG1659 on 5/2/2019(UTC)
crod  
#919 Posted : Thursday, May 2, 2019 8:51:09 AM(UTC)
crod

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Envihon Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: BAP1015 Go to Quoted Post

You should fill out the Declaration of Federal Employment twice during this process. Once when you receive your tentative selection letter which began this process and then again on your first day. The Declaration of Federal Employment is mainly for insurance purposes. It's used as a kind of consent to be hired when you get your tentative selection and then again when you are actually hired to start your insurance.

Being referred to selection just means you are on the list for the hiring staff to call. Your hiring package goes to different teams throughout the process and once you are at referred to selection it just means its at the hiring team and you are waiting to be called to actually be hired into the agency. I know this because during my hiring I was suppose to be called in August 2017 but my medical recertification wasn't forwarded back to the hiring team so I missed getting called until Feb 2018. That's how I got a glimpse at a bit of the process in what happens during all these times.

Makes sense. Thanks for the info!

AG1659  
#920 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 5:31:25 AM(UTC)
AG1659

United States

I signed my declaration of employment and completed the questionaire based upon instructions emailed to me this morning from OPM, but didn't officially receive an email saying I was referred to selection. Is it to be assumed I already have been referred or should I officially get an email?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed