Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

57 Pages«<5253545556>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BAP1015  
#1061 Posted : Friday, February 21, 2020 10:19:35 AM(UTC)
BAP1015

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Yes I am! How exciting. It’s hard to believe it’s finally here :D
Leaver  
#1062 Posted : Friday, February 21, 2020 11:42:17 AM(UTC)
Leaver

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Originally Posted by: BAP1015 Go to Quoted Post
Can someone tell me how the FLETC training is? Is there a lot of physical work or more book work?

The physical component of FLETC consists of defensive tactics training and marching in formation. Defensive tactics is nothing on the order of what the officers have to do, and there are no pass-fail physical conditioning requirements as there are for the officers. But it will still get you breathing hard and, depending on your condition, can be a challenge. You will be throwing punches, kicks and wrestling around on the ground. Just give it 110% and give the instructors your full attention. Your ability to know the moves will be tested. The marching (drill and ceremony), can be a physical challenge if you're unfortunate enough to be at FLETC in the middle of the summer. Sucks to be out in 100 degrees, marching around in full uniform. Drink LOTS of water.

As with everything, the academic portion of FLETC will be a challenge for some and easy for others. Again, give the instructors all of your attention and you should be fine. The passing standard is lower than Frederick (70% to pass), but it's a different type of learning than what you do in MD, and it catches some students by surprise. Fraudulent documents seems to be difficult for some, and do start getting familiar and comfortable with CBP Form 6059B... knows all of those questions by heart. There are lots of practical exams and role playing scenarios. Get comfortable interacting with people in an "interview" type setting.
thanks 1 user thanked Leaver for this useful post.
BAP1015 on 2/21/2020(UTC)
jorozco7  
#1063 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2020 9:53:22 AM(UTC)
jorozco7

United States

I completed my Drug test on 1/23/2020 I am a 19-1 applicant, Has anyone received a call recently for their final offer? What locations did they offer you?
wfm  
#1064 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2020 9:58:02 AM(UTC)
wfm

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
im 19-1 waiting for call too. TSU keeps telling me they are waiting for HQ to tell them they can start calling again.
there is one more class in 2020 for AGS, june or july start.
jorozco7  
#1065 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2020 12:50:08 PM(UTC)
jorozco7

United States

Originally Posted by: wfm Go to Quoted Post
im 19-1 waiting for call too. TSU keeps telling me they are waiting for HQ to tell them they can start calling again.

How did you get in contact with them? through email? Did they tell you of available openings at all? Thank you
RN4433  
#1066 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2020 6:12:39 PM(UTC)
RN4433

United States

I applied this past November and am now stuck at 43% for a couple of weeks now. BI is ongoing of course but I'm confused what's taking so long to schedule my drug test. Worried I'll miss out on academy spots this year anyone else in the same boat?
wfm  
#1067 Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2020 5:48:29 AM(UTC)
wfm

United States

Originally Posted by: jorozco7 Go to Quoted Post

How did you get in contact with them? through email? Did they tell you of available openings at all? Thank you

email and phone. they didnt say anything about openings.

wfm  
#1068 Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2020 6:18:39 AM(UTC)
wfm

United States

Originally Posted by: RN4433 Go to Quoted Post
I applied this past November and am now stuck at 43% for a couple of weeks now. BI is ongoing of course but I'm confused what's taking so long to schedule my drug test. Worried I'll miss out on academy spots this year anyone else in the same boat?

it can take time, i didnt get the DT call until my 2 days after my medical cleared.
jorozco7  
#1069 Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2020 10:21:09 AM(UTC)
jorozco7

United States

Drug Test is not scheduled until you pass your BI, then after you pass your DT it can take a while for the call I have been waiting over a month to get a call from the Scheduling Unit.
AG1659  
#1070 Posted : Monday, March 9, 2020 5:08:39 PM(UTC)
AG1659

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Leaver Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: BAP1015 Go to Quoted Post
Can someone tell me how the FLETC training is? Is there a lot of physical work or more book work?

The physical component of FLETC consists of defensive tactics training and marching in formation. Defensive tactics is nothing on the order of what the officers have to do, and there are no pass-fail physical conditioning requirements as there are for the officers. But it will still get you breathing hard and, depending on your condition, can be a challenge. You will be throwing punches, kicks and wrestling around on the ground. Just give it 110% and give the instructors your full attention. Your ability to know the moves will be tested. The marching (drill and ceremony), can be a physical challenge if you're unfortunate enough to be at FLETC in the middle of the summer. Sucks to be out in 100 degrees, marching around in full uniform. Drink LOTS of water.

As with everything, the academic portion of FLETC will be a challenge for some and easy for others. Again, give the instructors all of your attention and you should be fine. The passing standard is lower than Frederick (70% to pass), but it's a different type of learning than what you do in MD, and it catches some students by surprise. Fraudulent documents seems to be difficult for some, and do start getting familiar and comfortable with CBP Form 6059B... knows all of those questions by heart. There are lots of practical exams and role playing scenarios. Get comfortable interacting with people in an "interview" type setting.

This is the best description of FLETC I've seen here. It's very different from MD and you get a little bit into the Law Enforcement world, which I find really cool. I have some health issues that wouldn't allow me to be a full on LE officer of any kind due to physical limitations. The fraud docs was really hard for me. It's a different kind of hard than Maryland though, if that makes any sense!

Edited by user Monday, March 9, 2020 5:10:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked AG1659 for this useful post.
Leaver on 3/10/2020(UTC)
Miranda  
#1071 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2020 7:15:55 AM(UTC)
Miranda

Originally Posted by: RN4433 Go to Quoted Post

it can take time, i didnt get the DT call until my 2 days after my medical cleared.

My SI just called me again and getting one more reference and hopefully I move on to DT!!
txmustang  
#1072 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2020 2:44:39 PM(UTC)
txmustang

United States

Any word on maybe trainings being postponed? I haven’t heard anything just wondering.
Miranda  
#1073 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2020 7:00:31 AM(UTC)
Miranda

Originally Posted by: txmustang Go to Quoted Post
Any word on maybe trainings being postponed? I haven’t heard anything just wondering.

I haven’t heard anything yet either ..
stillbliss  
#1074 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2020 9:29:04 AM(UTC)
stillbliss

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Tattoos....Hair

Anybody know the policy on tattoos? How about hair color, like blue...

I start in the July class.

Kristen
MD18-1  
#1075 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2020 12:56:48 PM(UTC)
MD18-1

United States

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Finally Graduated!!!! Guys this was so stressful, long journey, & a lot of hard work. All I can say is in Maryland really study & take it serious I found the Lepidoptera test to be challenging, Manual for Agricultural Clearance (MAC) test to be really challenging, & Plants for Planting test to be very challenging. So with that said study, study, study. You honestly do not have time to fail a test then have a remediation for that test because another test will soon be given after. ITS challenging and stressful if that happens.

In FLETC the test on fraudulent documents was challenging for me so really study for that & all the other tests in MD & in FLETC.
At FLETC, defensive tactics is intense so give it your all and if you have some extra weight on you & are not use to walking/marching get ready because you will do a lot of it & it can be challenging for folks that don't walk or jog on a weekly basis, so start doing some physical activity do not wait to get to FLETC then have an injury & get sent back home. STAY ACTIVE. The classroom to lunch room (chow) was almost a mile long & you have to walk everywhere.
If you can have a car in Georgia even better especially if you're off site like we were. It does get a little boring while you stay in Georgia so rent a car or buddy up with people who have cars. We stayed at a hotel 3-4 miles away from FLETC...which worked out because wi-fi is hard to get in FLETC.

I heard class/session ( 100 ) may be postponed with the Virus/Covid 19....but use this time wisely to get in shape or active and prepare yourself mentally for this challenge because it is not easy & you really earn your Badge and credentials. Yet all the stress, anxiety, tears are all worth the journey. :)

Happy March 2020 & stay safe with COVID-19.

Edited by user Thursday, March 19, 2020 12:58:56 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ohio_AGS18  
#1076 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2020 5:38:02 PM(UTC)
ohio_AGS18

United States

I am in class 100, we have been postponed due to the situation currently at hand. We were in Maryland ready to start on Wednesday and they postponed it at the last minute. We all are returning to our assigned ports to wait further instruction.
wfm  
#1077 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2020 5:25:07 AM(UTC)
wfm

United States

Originally Posted by: stillbliss Go to Quoted Post
Tattoos....Hair

Kristen

what announcement are you, and when did TSU call you with the offer?
stillbliss  
#1078 Posted : Friday, March 27, 2020 8:37:40 PM(UTC)
stillbliss

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Tattoos....Hair

Kristen

I was 18-3. I was called in January. At the time, they said I could start in a class in March, or one of two in April, or one in July. I got 24 hours to decide and when I called back the next day, March was already full. I chose to start in July.
Miranda  
#1079 Posted : Saturday, March 28, 2020 10:47:04 PM(UTC)
Miranda

Tattoos....Hair

Kristen

I was 18-3. I was called in January. At the time, they said I could start in a class in March, or one of two in April, or one in July. I got 24 hours to decide and when I called back the next day, March was already full. I chose to start in July.

Did CBP leave you a voicemail on locations to choose from or did you have to pick up the phone??
txmustang  
#1080 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2020 6:12:19 AM(UTC)
txmustang

United States

anyonw Hear anything about the new reconstructuring process? I was supposed to start in two weeks. But they told me they are restructuring the new employee process because of the pandemic
Rss Feed  Atom Feed