Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Commerce

The Commerce Department's mission is to help make American businesses more innovative at home and more competitive abroad. It is comprised of 12 different agencies responsible for everything from weather forecasts to patent protection. They include:

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
socGrad  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 8, 2016 6:58:00 PM(UTC)
socGrad

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I have a quick question for those in the know. The census is having a recruiting event for recent graduate statisticians next week. I have several applications in with them and have been referred (or entered into their applicant inventory). I'm really tempted to make the drive out to DC for the recruiting event but am wondering if it's worth the effort. One application for recent grads just closed and I'm wondering if I should just wait it out instead... Will going to the recruitment event give me an advantage of any sort? Do they interview/hire candidates on the spot? Do they typically hire people off of recent grad certificates before those referred on the regular certificates? Do they hire people they meet in person before those who simply apply online?

Edited by user Friday, July 8, 2016 7:07:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

@pply  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2016 2:45:40 PM(UTC)
@pply

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I don't see how they could hire someone on the spot. There are rules to this federal hiring thing. Usually, they announce a job first. In your case, they may give you the announcement number so you can go apply online at USA Jobs. After everyone applies and the job closes, HR screens the apps. and culls everyone who is qualified for the job. Then HR determines who is qualified, better qualified, and best qualified. After this and since this is a scientific/professional position, best qualified veterans are placed above best qualified non-veterans. If this position is below GS-9, all qualified veterans are automatically placed at the top of the best qualified category. Everyone who is best qualified is sent to the hiring manager. Best qualified veterans must be hired before anyone else. In most cases, the hiring manager will not even see the names of best qualified non-veterans if there are veterans in the best qualified category. All of the above assumes this is for a non-status vacancy. If it is a status vacancy, you cannot apply if you don't currently work for the feds.

Because of the aforementioned, I don't see how they could hire anyone on the spot. Even for the various internship programs, the job must be announced and the public must be given the opportunity to apply. God Speed.

@pply  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2016 2:46:51 PM(UTC)
@pply

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Just noticed this question was 5 months old.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed