Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

73 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cmlmt5  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2009 3:24:42 AM(UTC)
cmlmt5

Groups: Registered

Ok, I've been searching high and low for study guides for the FBI's Phase I testing logical reasoning secion. I've tries the LSAT and the GMAT, the questions aren't really like the ones provided on the FBI website. Does anyone have any suggestions?
highlander96  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2009 9:13:24 AM(UTC)
highlander96

The FBI provided me with one when I took it back in 2007. You may want to look at the study guides for the TEA. Although, not the same test by any means, it would be a good foundation.

Good Luck!
fedSearch  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2009 11:17:28 PM(UTC)
fedSearch

I took the testing and did not do well. However, the difficulty is in the limited time you have to do it, that's all. I don't recall them being that different in structure from the guide.
cmlmt5  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 18, 2009 12:09:53 AM(UTC)
cmlmt5

Hey Workster,
Could you tell me a little bit more about your experience. Why you think you didn't do well? What you could have done to prepare. Things like that?...Thanks
fedSearch  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 18, 2009 3:00:13 AM(UTC)
fedSearch

Sure thing, just be clear, I took the testing to be a special agent. If you're prepping for the same, I suggest you get this book:
The FBI Career Guide: Inside Information on Getting Chosen for and Succeeding in One of the Toughest, Most Prestigious Jobs in the World

There's 3 parts to it as I remembered, 2 of which you can prepare directly for. You can just drill on the math and reading tests. You should also be in good physical shape to pass the phase 2. The psych one was the only that I couldn't find any information on.

I think I didn't do well because I didn't try after I found out you have to move to wherever they deploy you. This has been emphasized in the introduction as major reasons for drop outs. Otherwise I think just drilling until you can answer with lighting efficiency is key. You probably shouldn't apply until you get to that point as you won't be able to control the date.

Keep in touch and let me know how you do.
iceman1078  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 18, 2009 3:22:10 AM(UTC)
iceman1078

hello guys,

new to this forum. well my question is has anybody here taken the new edition of the fbi tes? i hear that the math portion was deleted. second question how can i find the practice test on the website? thank you guys appreciate your feedback.
jberry99  
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 19, 2009 12:02:16 PM(UTC)
jberry99

I just took (and passed) the FBI phase 1 exam. Prior to the test, I did a lot of searching around for test preps, but didn't find much of anything. I just looked over the questions on the FBI website, took time to understand what they were asking for in the questions, and came up with a strategy to answer them.
Katie117  
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 19, 2009 10:35:41 PM(UTC)
Katie117

I just took the special agent fbi phase I test the other day and there is no math portion. It has been replaced with the Logical Reasoning test, which is the only portion of the test you can really study for. I also studied the test examples on the FBI website as well as the LSAT. Another test I would highly recommend studying is the U.S. Border Patrol Logical Reasoning Test. The format is very similar and provides tips on how to understand the material and to identify the correct answers from what you have read. You can find this study test online.
cmlmt5  
#9 Posted : Friday, February 20, 2009 10:39:30 AM(UTC)
cmlmt5

Wow guys thanks!!
I am really anticipating my test date. I bought an LSAT book and Really I couldn't find many similar questions to the ones on the FBI website but I tool the Border Patrol Exam in jan and those questions seemed incredibly similar. I want this really bad so I really want to score high on the test. If there is any other advice hangin around out there from people that have already taken the test please let me know!!!
thanks
chris
iceman1078  
#10 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2009 1:40:22 AM(UTC)
iceman1078

katie and jberry:

thanks a lot for the info. i will look into the border patrol study guide. i am really hoping that i pass the test. with out violating any disclosure agreement, how did you guys feel about the scenario portion of the test? for some reason i feel nervous about taking the test , mainly because it is my last chance and well, i dont wnat to blow it. your feedback is greatly appreciated.
jberry99  
#11 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2009 2:57:01 AM(UTC)
jberry99

From what I understand, you really can't study for the situational judgment portion of the test. I wouldn't stress about it. Just go in, be your calm, rational self, and you should be fine.
Katie117  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 25, 2009 5:45:30 AM(UTC)
Katie117

You're welcome. I agree with JBerry and do not think there is a lot to study for when taking the Situational/Judgment test. I would just check out the fbi website for that section, because the example questions are very similar to the one's on the actual test.
Good luck!!
squirrel  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2009 2:37:51 AM(UTC)
squirrel

jberry and katie,

I know you both have taken and been successful @ the Phase I exam. I just got notice today that I have been invited to take it in about 13 days. I am not sure if I am ready to take and pass the exam, should I reschedule? Also, I know you mention the Border Patrol exam and study guide on the FBI website, but they specifically outlined in the email that "a study guide is not available for this test."

Any advice would REALLY help, I am extremely nervous and want this very badly!!
jberry99  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2009 4:22:54 AM(UTC)
jberry99

The only thing that I did in anticipation for the exam was to look at the sample questions on the FBI website and develop strategies for answering them. Well, I also did a lot of googling. For the biodata and situational judgment, I would recommend that you just be honest and not try to game the test---you may think that they are testing for X, but they could also be testing for Y and Z as well as crafting questions in such a way to gauge the degree of consistency.

For the logical reasoning questions, just practice reading dense material. Look up test taking strategies for logic questions.

I don't see any reason why you should put the test off; if you don't pass, you can always request a retest in 6 months (but I don't know how willing they are to give them out...).
cmlmt5  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2009 4:42:02 AM(UTC)
cmlmt5

Yeah I'm With Squirrel, I wouldn't ask for a new test date, do it now while ur most likely to get hired. I have purchased the Border Patrol Exam Booklet and have been looking over that. (In jan I took the actual border patrol exam and got an 87% without studying.)

Really, these tests (at least the phase I and entry tests) are just trying to weed out the idiots. Good luck on ur exam, mine is in about 12 days...im a bit nervous myself
squirrel  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2009 9:46:56 AM(UTC)
squirrel

Thanks for your replies. I got 3 books, federal law enforcement exams, border patrol test prep, and TEA st prep. I am just NOT a good test taker so I'm nervous. So, not math portions? Also, where can I find these sample questions on the FBI website? As far as the biodata and situational judgment, is more of a personality test? I have heard that somewhere. I guess I just need to familiarize myself with the test, is there a website that'll help?

I know I'm bombarding you guys with questions but I'm a young applicant, and I'm sure there are plenty people with significantly more experience than me, so I need to ace this.

Cmlmt5: Mine is in 12 days as well, I'm so nervous, I don't even know where to start. Now, if I don't pass I'm going to be one of those idiots that they weed out!! J/k. good luck to you.

Please, anyone have ANY tips for us we'd love them!
cmlmt5  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2009 12:10:49 PM(UTC)
cmlmt5

Squirrel, So what kind of experience do u you have, what got you invited? How did you qualify? (just wanting to satisfy my own curiousity) I'm a young applicant as well (23 yrs old). They accepted me because I speak German. I hope its good enough to pass the DOD language battyer...heres to hoping
squirrel  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2009 12:59:52 PM(UTC)
squirrel

I'm 23 as well. I am in the Army, intelligence analyst and have just enough work experience in different gov agencies (DISA, NGA, State). I speak fluent Spanish (although not such a competitive language anymore) and some Korean. I have a TS clearance and guess I've had a range of job experiences ranging from management analyst to working with satellites and infrared/thermal sensors. I'm pretty much jack of all trades master at none. Razz

I guess that's what I'm worried about, no clear career path.

what is your experience? When do you take the DLPT? I have taken the DLAB before but have not taken the proficiency test in Spanish. I am sure if you are fluent, you should have no problem.
squirrel  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2009 1:05:22 PM(UTC)
squirrel

BTW- Anyone read "Breezing Through the FBI Hiring Process"? It's an ebook and it sounds helpful, but not sure. Any reviews?
cjr801  
#20 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 1:46:04 AM(UTC)
cjr801

How long does it usually take from the date you apply online to get a date for Phase I testing? Is it the FO that determines whether you go to Phase I testing or HQ?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed