Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Employees: You be the Judge


Get real-life reviews of key court cases involving federal employees. Share your opinion on the outcomes of these cases, or participate in other discussions about workplace issues that may impact your job.

Be civil when debating with others in the forum. Uncivil remarks toward any other forum member is prohibited on FederalSoup and should be reported immediately.


To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Hawaiiannative  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 20, 2016 11:01:09 AM(UTC)
Hawaiiannative

Rank: Rookie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/4/2014(UTC)
Posts: 34
United States
Location: Hawaii

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Has anyone else filed a claim with the Office of Special Counsel?

Good idea?
Bad idea?

How did it go?
DroneBee  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 08, 2016 6:40:36 PM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/24/2014(UTC)
Posts: 286

Thanks: 89 times
Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 48 post(s)
The OSC will take your info then wait 6 months and give you a letter saying that they will not pursue action. If you go to the OSC for whistleblowing keep a big PDF of EVERYTHING you send the OSC. Then you can bring it all to the MSPB and try your case there. The OSC is like 8% chance (but I think it's less) and the MSPB is 2%. All administrative processes are rigged for the agency.
Goonernoodles  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 25, 2017 7:41:46 AM(UTC)

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/28/2014(UTC)
Posts: 3

I could really use some help. I am a rather new employee and there is evidence of corruption on many fronts with the org. Because of reasons I cannot get into, I need to reach out externally. I read this thread and it was disheartening.

Does anyone have any advice? OIG from within the org doesn't seem to be a good choice because it is still internal.

Is there anyone else I should be filing with because Office of Special Counsel? Will I be protected?

Thank you. I can provide some details (nothing too much of course) in a private message if that helps.

I greatly appreciate you reading this.
spacecowboy  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 29, 2017 8:17:14 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/7/2011(UTC)
Posts: 315

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Goonernoodles, if you need your job, keep your head down, focus on your work, and see nothing, say nothing. Retaliation is alive and Well, and they will slowly get you gone with a slow stab with a thousand knives. It is a slow painful process.

Ethics and Interity are meaningless sound bites, don't believe it. You won't be rewarded for identifying things they already know. It is like an endless cat box, that never gets scooped, just keep pouring more sand on top to bury the scat. The stench is unbearable to new people, but the old ones don't even smell it any longer.

Government employees are institutionalized to ignore problems.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
DroneBee on 10/29/2017(UTC)
DroneBee  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 29, 2017 2:17:41 PM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/24/2014(UTC)
Posts: 286

Thanks: 89 times
Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Originally Posted by: spacecowboy Go to Quoted Post
...if you need your job, keep your head down, focus on your work, and see nothing, say nothing. Retaliation is alive and Well, and they will slowly get you gone with a slow stab with a thousand knives. It is a slow painful process... Ethics and Interity are meaningless sound bites, don't believe it. You won't be rewarded ...


Truer words were never said! It's hard for anyone not mired in the horrendous appeal systems to believe, but there is no justice for whistleblowers, etc. You should either: 1) Keep quiet (Sgt Schultz); or 2) Get another job pronto.

Originally Posted by: Goonernoodles Go to Quoted Post
Is there anyone else I should be filing with because Office of Special Counsel? Will I be protected?


Protected?! Heavens, no. You will be deemed a troublemaker and you may be fired. I am a whistleblower who has been tormented for doing my job. I went through the OSC, and I can tell you in my case, the OSC gave documents I submitted to the OSC to the agency without my knowledge and these documents were used against me.

Please, please, please, keep quiet - do not enter the hell I have been in for years. The agency will tell its employees if you see something, say something, but that's only so that the agency can squash you (the troublemaker) before whatever you find gets out to public. If you are willing to talk to the OSC, then you may be willing to go to the media, etc., and the agency can't have that. You will be deemed a terrible worker, unstable, etc. Remember, without the blue dress, Monica was deemed a lunatic by the Whitehouse. But even after Monica presented the blue dress, her entire life was ruined. It's not worth it. These people don't care about you, other than to get you to shut up, which means removal.
Goonernoodles  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 30, 2017 7:39:25 AM(UTC)

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/28/2014(UTC)
Posts: 3

This is terrifying to read. Awful. I don't even know what to say...
fedquestions7878  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 30, 2017 4:54:24 PM(UTC)
fedquestions7878

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/11/2017(UTC)
Posts: 2
United States
Location: Washington DC

Are these replies serious? Are you really supposed to not report corruption? This seems like very dangerous advice? Mods? I can't tell if the replies are serious.
DroneBee  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, October 31, 2017 8:02:06 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/24/2014(UTC)
Posts: 286

Thanks: 89 times
Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Originally Posted by: fedquestions7878 Go to Quoted Post
Are these replies serious? Are you really supposed to not report corruption? This seems like very dangerous advice? Mods? I can't tell if the replies are serious.


Yes, unfortunately, I am serious. I am a whistleblower who identified corruption and the agency went after me for years, until the agency fired me on trumped-up charges. Do *NOT* step forward unless you are ready for the onslaught, which is beyond brutal. Had I known then what I know now, I would have let them do what they wanted (fraud, waste, abuse) and tried to get another job. You cannot fight the system. If you identify a leader - which I did - that leader has the entire agency at his/her back. They will create false documents, change the date of documents, etc. There is no accountability for any of them. The agency will place them in a different job - or even help them to get another job at another agency. You will be in the mire - ALONE. Your friends will turn against you, or at the very least treat you like you have leprosy.

Just search the MSPB for whistleblower - 1003 cases come up - and these are merely the precedential ones. https://www.mspb.gov/decisions/searchdec.htm

Here's one example of the OSC helping a whistleblower: https://www.mspb.gov/MSP...&application=ACROBAT

Note that this started when "Mr. Schwarz previously had filed a complaint of whistleblower reprisal with OSC on September 10, 2016" and it appears that this Mr. Schwartz has been removed for doing so. (This is the first one that popped up when I searched the MSPB nonprecedential cases using whistleblower as a search term.)

If anyone is reading this - BEWARE!! Even if the OSC fights for you at a later date - *YOU* are the one in the fight, being removed, etc. It's a horrible, horrible, process. Keep your head down and think about your family, life, etc. No one is going to pay your bills but you.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Harrigan on 11/3/2017(UTC)
Felix  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, October 31, 2017 9:06:40 AM(UTC)
Felix

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/1/2015(UTC)
Posts: 1
Location: DC

Question: you can choose to remain anonymous. Why didn’t you? Do you think that would help?
spacecowboy  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, October 31, 2017 3:47:46 PM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/7/2011(UTC)
Posts: 315

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
This is true. And I agree with Dronebee, once you say it, you are committed to a course of action that will destroy your career. It is wise to know the cost of speaking up.

As I stated previously, they already know the issues, and ignore them.

I wish someone had told me the reality of exposing corruption. I was naive and stupid.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
DroneBee on 11/2/2017(UTC)
nightchop  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, November 01, 2017 2:48:15 PM(UTC)

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/29/2012(UTC)
Posts: 153

Thanks: 11 times
Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Sometimes you are left with no option but to complain. You cannot have a defeatist attitude. You have to believe the universe will right itself. It may take a while, but it will happen. You absolutely have to be committed long-term. Your complaint WILL lead to change. It just might not be the change you want.
DroneBee  
#12 Posted : Thursday, November 02, 2017 5:52:29 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/24/2014(UTC)
Posts: 286

Thanks: 89 times
Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nightchop Go to Quoted Post
Sometimes you are left with no option but to complain. You cannot have a defeatist attitude.


I beg to differ - you always have an option to walk away. The "defeatist attitude" is realism. Again, I did the right thing. Completely right. I found fraud, waste and abuse that no one would ever deny - not even the agency - that corrected the error after years (while the agency was in the throws of firing me). However, because I "complained" - which is a strange word to use for whistleblowers who properly report corruption - I was fired. Not because of cause (disciplinary), but on a trumped-up charge without any evidence other than the supervisors' testimony - no documentation at all - not even a reprimand. I have been fighting ever since and it has cost me and my family $$$$. We are not rich; we are working people. Had someone informed me - like I am trying to do now to my friends - I would never had tried to help my country because I could not pay my bills if not for my husband - and we are now living pay check to pay check. The agency completely destroyed my good name, my professional record, my finances, and have taken a toll on my family... all because I did my job!

I am trying to get the word out that this could happen to anyone who rightly identifies fraud, waste, and abuse. You will be left to fight - ALONE. The oppressors have the entire agency behind them - lawyers galore, etc. You will have to pay for your own attorney, your own court costs (should you go to court), etc.

Originally Posted by: nightchop Go to Quoted Post
You have to believe the universe will right itself. It may take a while, but it will happen.


Will you help me pay my bills while the "universe.... right[s] itself"?

Originally Posted by: nightchop Go to Quoted Post
You absolutely have to be committed long-term. Your complaint WILL lead to change. It just might not be the change you want.


The change will be that you will be fired. DO NOT ENTER THE HELL I HAVE BEEN IN FOR YEARS.

thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Harrigan on 11/3/2017(UTC)
DroneBee  
#13 Posted : Thursday, November 02, 2017 6:02:01 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/24/2014(UTC)
Posts: 286

Thanks: 89 times
Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Felix Go to Quoted Post
Question: you can choose to remain anonymous. Why didn’t you? Do you think that would help?


The OSC, and other grievance venues, are lying when it states you can remain anonymous. There is no anonymity. Again, the OSC gave documents that I supplied to the OSC in good faith to the agency without my knowledge or consent. Do not ever believe that you should speak up - no one gets in trouble for not speaking up - there is no way that you (if you are a peon like I was) would be called on the carpet for anything senior leaders do because the agency would have to address the senior leaders who were actually doing the improper deeds.

Take care of yourself and your family. Do not enter this HELL.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Harrigan on 11/3/2017(UTC)
nightchop  
#14 Posted : Thursday, November 02, 2017 8:50:30 AM(UTC)

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/29/2012(UTC)
Posts: 153

Thanks: 11 times
Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I complained, and I don't regret it. I am fully prepared to be fired. A tyrannical manager put a bullseye on my back for reasons unknown (I did not even know this person), and while I still endure harassment, I've had small victories. I'll take them. The agency can never deny they have a bad actor now. If that's the only "win" I get, so be it. I'm sure many people are relieved by my efforts, because quite a few have benefited.
DroneBee  
#15 Posted : Thursday, November 02, 2017 10:05:32 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/24/2014(UTC)
Posts: 286

Thanks: 89 times
Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nightchop Go to Quoted Post
I complained, and I don't regret it. I am fully prepared to be fired. A tyrannical manager put a bullseye on my back for reasons unknown (I did not even know this person), and while I still endure harassment, I've had small victories. I'll take them. The agency can never deny they have a bad actor now. If that's the only "win" I get, so be it. I'm sure many people are relieved by my efforts, because quite a few have benefited.


Yes, your horrible experience shows the unfair system. You complained, you have a "bullseye," you "endure harassment," all you have are "small victories" and you are "prepared to be fired." In my case, my "small victories" that may have "benefited" a "few" do not overcome the pain of hurting my family and finances.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Harrigan on 11/3/2017(UTC)
Harrigan  
#16 Posted : Friday, November 03, 2017 5:00:11 PM(UTC)
Harrigan

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/25/2015(UTC)
Posts: 13
United States
Location: Washington D.C

Thanks: 16 times
Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I agree with DroneBee and I thank her for warning others and spreading the truth. The cost of complaining is very high. And, the chance of accomplishing any good are slim.
thanks 1 user thanked Harrigan for this useful post.
DroneBee on 11/8/2017(UTC)
nightchop  
#17 Posted : Friday, November 03, 2017 5:14:20 PM(UTC)

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/29/2012(UTC)
Posts: 153

Thanks: 11 times
Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Harrigan Go to Quoted Post
The cost of complaining is very high.


I agree, but for me, the cost of not complaining was higher. Like the cost to my health. Complaining was worth saving that. Call me naive, but I have confidence in my ability to get another, perhaps better job. The current one isn't paying me enough for my silence.
Hawaiiannative  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, November 07, 2017 12:21:33 PM(UTC)
Hawaiiannative

Rank: Rookie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/4/2014(UTC)
Posts: 34
United States
Location: Hawaii

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Be ready to have literal lies written about you, retaliation is never ending, and very often, career ending.
thanks 1 user thanked Hawaiiannative for this useful post.
DroneBee on 11/8/2017(UTC)
nightchop  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, November 07, 2017 9:20:53 PM(UTC)

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/29/2012(UTC)
Posts: 153

Thanks: 11 times
Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hawaiiannative Go to Quoted Post
Be ready to have literal lies written about you, retaliation is never ending, and very often, career ending.


As sad as it is, I have step outside of myself and laugh at the lies. I am fully aware of who I'm dealing with, but it's still bizarre to see in writing. I have to remind myself that the agency feels it has to protect itself by any means necessary. You have to pity them for your own sanity. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I did the things that are being done to me. You have to take some comfort in knowing that if they're resorting to lies, they really don't have anything legitimate.
DroneBee  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, November 08, 2017 6:12:48 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/24/2014(UTC)
Posts: 286

Thanks: 89 times
Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nightchop Go to Quoted Post
You have to take some comfort in knowing that if they're resorting to lies, they really don't have anything legitimate.


Nightchop - good luck to you. It appears that no matter what anyone says, you will continue to pursue the "right" thing. However, do not believe for one moment that the agency - and it's not a "they" but an "it" - will not create everything it needs in order to pursue action against you. This will follow you around - even if it is not true - and *YOU* will be the one defending these inaccurate statements, lies, etc. forever. You may be fired. The liars in the agency will get promotions, big jobs, bonuses, etc. The agency will continue to operate.

Best of luck to you!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest (2)
2 Pages12>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.


This page was generated in 0.449 seconds.